Sunday, November 19, 2017

Knock Me Over with a Strong Wind! Craft and Rig Sales, Glorious Sun

The wind rocked us through the night and early morning hours of Saturday, Nov. 18th. At one point I reached up and closed my window, more from the noise than anything and Bill got up around 12:30 and closed the other windows in the Suite. It got pretty strong and we woke to it at 7:15 still gusting. Of course, the sky is pure blue with bright sun grazing over our campground.

This is our morning view from our dining table
I love the palm trees
With 14C/55F on the thermostat, feeling much cooler with the wind, I decided to publish my post sitting right here rather than battling it across the road. We are more than half way through the month and have used almost half of our data, hmm, hard to figure all that out after having a week free at Pahrump. Anyway, it is what it is and we just need to be careful, as we are.

Really strong wind
Today is the day the park has their Craft & Rig Sale on at 9 so I’m walking up to the clubhouse to see what is going on and who is participating before I do my walk. I finished my tea and dressed a little warmer than the previous days. It has been a few days, well, a couple of weeks since I’ve had long pants on. As one lady said in response to my “Windy day!” remark, ‘It is winter!’

The roof I saw being shingled yesterday
At the clubhouse I was disappointed that there were only 4 tables set up with sales items. Three were very nice, nothing I was looking for and the last one was a mixture of homemade and bought things. I met Francie ‘in the Alpine’ she said. A sweet older lady who has been full timing for 10 years with her husband. There are sad stories out there, just recently discovering his newly diagnosed dementia. On the other hand, she lives day to day grateful for the years they’ve had in this lifestyle not knowing what the future holds for them.

Shuffleboard is ready to be played
I walked around the perimeters before returning to the Suite. I practically fell in the door, partly from the wind but mostly from my clumsy attempt at ascending the 4 steps. LOL Bill had settled into his chair with his book, content to stay inside out of the winds. I updated our Book List on my Word document, adding the latest few that we’ve both read. I wrote a small version to carry in my purse for when I’m out. I didn’t want it on my phone.

My contribution to the new puzzle
With that done, I took another walk. It is still crazy windy but at least the sun is hot when sheltered. I crossed to the WEST clubhouse and discovered a small puzzle had been started with just the border done. I sat down, flicked the tv on for background noise, and set to work. I made some progress before returning around 1 o’clock. When I returned, I was hungry for some lunch. Bill and I only had one of my Oatmeal Banana Muffins for breakfast so I warmed up the last of my homemade tomato soup from the freezer. That hit the spot.

My book list that I carry with me
I pulled my chair out beside the truck in the sun and read some more. I know Bill isn’t moving until his book is finished so I may as well enjoy the time too. This book I’m into is so good and so different from any others I’ve read. Capitol! I chitchatted back and forth with Rose, a friend we met last winter for the first time. They have a place in Lake Havasu so if it works out we’ll visit tomorrow.

The sun is just going down as we head out to supper
There is a Spaghetti Dinner down the road at the Desert Hills Fire Department at 4 but we had previously decided that we didn’t feel like spaghetti tonight. Instead, we are going to check out Hangar 24 a new restaurant at the airport on I-95. We noticed the sign last year but it wasn’t open yet. We just missed the opening by about 2 weeks. It is highly recommended by members of this park.


At 5 pm we got ready and drove to Hangar 24. It was easy to find, right close to the interstate with the airport runways in behind. It looked interesting from the get-go, long tables outside on the patio with umbrellas and inside the same. Long picnic type tables in rows the whole length of the seating area. At the west end was a stage but we would be too early for any entertainment tonight. There weren’t many patrons so we walked up and began reading the menu on the chalkboards surrounding the bar.

Kind of cool - this is a real bi-plane
Nice atmosphere
With a menu in hand we sat and chose our meals before returning to place our order. Sometimes I go a little off the wall with a drink order and I did this time. It looked good so I ordered an Irish Chocolate Beer Bomber. Hmmm. Bill ordered a Bacon Burger with sidewinder fries and 2 onion rings and I ordered the Mexican Tacos with Chicherones (pork rinds). Both entrees were $10 or less so that was pleasing.

Their chalkboard full of drink offers
The cocktail? Well, yah I should have stuck to what I know. It wasn’t bad at all but my tacos had sriracha (obviously a hot sauce) and the drink only made my mouth burn all that much more. Darn! If I’d know what that hot sauce was I would have asked that they skip it. 
Some burger!

My tacos and pork rinds
 Bill’s burger was huge and he enjoyed it a lot with his rum and coke. I ate 2 of the 3 tacos and they were quite good with the ribeye steak pieces and the pork rinds were a treat but had to bring the rest home. I was determined to finish my drink since they were quite expensive. Note to self. Stick to water or pop next time.

My chocolate bomber
Now we can say we’ve done that and know what it is like. We’d go back again to enjoy their atmosphere and entrees for sure. While waiting for our meals to arrive I caught this pretty sky to the west. When we left the sky was still performing but it doesn’t show up well on the picture over the city lights. We were home before 7 and settled in for the night. The winds had at least died down by the time we arrived at the restaurant so a quieter sleeping night.

Gorgeous sky over the city
 The drink hit me pretty hard so I drank water as soon as I got home and read my book. Bill’s Christmas movie was putting me to sleep and at 8:30 I couldn’t sit still with a restless leg and droopy eyes so Clemson and I went to bed. It was a quiet day other than a few walks. 

We thought we’d hear from our friends from a few sites down but it was just as well, Bill was determined to get to the last page of his book and did manage it before dinner.
Good night!

I hope the day also treated you kindly. Thank you for the visit!

12 comments:

  1. Like the look of the burger... makes me hungry!!
    Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like another wonderful day in paradise! Bill's burger looked awesome, must be those onion rings! Your tacos looked tasty too..I would think a restaurant would serve the siracha on the side rather than presuming you're going to love it. Next time huh..Beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are SO lazy but it seems to suit us. :)
      Bill loved the burger and yes next time and any place I am going to say NOTHING hot please. :)
      The sunset are gorgeous for sure!

      Delete
  3. You'll be glad to know there's a little snow up here now. Some contrast to your sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am glad FG. Makes it all the more worthwhile being here. :) Stay warm my friend!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blue sky. Then enough clouds to give you a wonderful sunset.
    Dinner looks like it would be worth the stop, Bill's hamburger looks great and so do your tacos. I would not call pork rinds a treat...:), though. Even knowing a lot of people would agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clouds do make a difference at sunset. Love them.
      Not pork rinds, eh? I remember us kids arguing over who got the fresh baked rind off the pork. We loved it!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a nice relaxing day, Love that sriracha , the heat and garlic spies. Will be nice if you can catch up with Rose and George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like the sriracha, thought of you while my mouth burned. ha ha
      For sure, you'll see in today's post.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great day. Interesting drink, I"m not that brave. The food looked excellent, the sunset was pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was a nice relaxing day. Eating out is a treat and I took a chance. :)

      Delete