Thursday, January 24, 2019

Walking to a Different Drum, Calmer, Warmer Days, Special Events Day


We both woke at the same time on Thursday, Jan. 24th and discussed the 3 events taking place today. Important ones. Firstly, Bill’s little sister’s birthday. Happy Birthday Liz! Secondly, Bill’s stepmother is hopping on a cruise with her sisters, first time without Dad. Happy Cruising, Marilynne! And last but not least, our blogger friend is going in for his doctor’s appointment to determine a surgery date. Good luck, Ken!

The pink mountains to the west just before sunrise in the east

I'm walking in a different direction today
 It was 6:45 when we came downstairs and Bill and I both had our hot drinks together. I had a blog post to complete and publish first thing so did that while sitting with my tea. Then I dressed against the cooler 42F temps and 5 mph winds and headed out the door. Um, let’s change it up this morning, I thought to myself and headed back towards the south mountains. I hadn’t walked in this direction yet this winter and it was an enjoyable walk.

Walking towards the sunrise
I made a couple of turns to get on the ‘partial roads’ to the ‘obvious road’ and found the footing much easier to walk on. It is much more desolate back there, people who don’t want anyone close by. The funny thing is that can change in a heartbeat since other than the 50’ understanding, there are no rules on where to park. I passed the sign for the Magic Circle after stopping to take a picture and when I’d walked a mile, turned and returned on a different route again.


And when you are only going to see browns in the desert
this little beauty catches your eye
Back home, as I slipped out of my vest, windbreaker and runners, Clemson got up. He has been sleeping in so well again and steals our heart when he comes downstairs with his one ear flipped up over his head. Bill took him out this morning for his morning constitution. Bill was anxious to get moving today, although we had no real plans, so he made himself a couple of pieces of toast and jam rather than waiting for me to cook anything.

Such a pretty desert flower


I like the picture this small wash with a pretty little palo verde tree
 and grass underneath created
He wanted to offer his assistance to George and Rose for some things related to their new coach but they are night hawks and don’t rise as early as the rest of us. To each his own and that is definitely not a critique. I read some posts and began today’s writings. When I walk in the morning, my peaceful time, it is the time that I offer thanks to our maker for ‘things’.

The road was nice to walk on back here with less traffic
Not as many campers come this far back

Looked like a red and white flag
and as I got closer..........

Yay! Alberta, Canada residents
Our good health, for one, my ability to walk easily with no encumbrances and move the way I do. Our status in life, for another. Where we are physically, financially (which needs some tweaking) and emotionally all relate to how we are able to make the best of this journey. I, more than Bill, ‘walk’ (figure of speech) through each day pretty smoothly, grateful for this living style and the opportunities it presents to me. Bill does as well, but has more of our financial burden in his mind on a daily basis. I’m blessed to have him, he makes my life easy with a helping of sweetness dripping over the edges. 😊

It is so easy to get off track walking in the desert off the main road
I looked to the left and there was 'home' camp

Such a nice group we have here
There are 6 of us now
I’ve been thinking about making up a batch of steel cut oats so while he visited Rob and Pat this morning, that is what I set about doing. I also wanted to make more of the creamy Jell-o pudding since we’ve cleaned that up. I made myself a coffee and planned lunch of Greek yogourt pancakes and mini sausage then I mixed up the jello. The oatmeal was cooked and cooling in the pot so I could pour it into a fridge container.

Benno and Bill
Oh and the little Mama (Elsa) 

Marlene with Daddy (Reggie)
Donna was curious, as was Pat, so I texted them both the Jell-o recipe. We all enjoy our desserts and treats so the more we can avoid the sugar and carbs while eating them, the better. With things cooling, I took my book outside to sit in the sun for a bit. What a beautiful day this is turning out to be already at 11 am! The winds are bouncing around from the northeast again, seems to be a favourite source here, but the sun is warming the area up nicely. I soon slipped into my shorts and bare feet.

Snobby little bum staying away from his visiting company
Around 11:45 I decided that I needed to eat something since I’d not had toast with Bill earlier. I mixed up the pancake batter and put the sausages in the pan before I walked over to the Tiffin to see if and when Bill and George could take a break. ‘Anytime’ was the response so I turned burners on and began cooking. Bill came home 10 minutes later, just in time for me to dish things up. That was a much-needed delicious keto lunch. With the exception of the real maple syrup.

Cute little daschunds
As we were about to sit down, we saw Marlene and Benno arrive in their truck. We knew they were coming to the Quartzsite tent today but not the time so it is nice to see them. They first visited George and Suzie as they’d never really met them previously, other than Marlene got a brief ‘hello, how are ya’ at Pilot Knob. That worked out great for us as it allowed us to eat and Bill wandered back to help George G. for a while as I cleaned up dishes.

Happy hour gang at our place
When I saw Marlene and Benno saying goodbye to them, I went out and set up our 2 extra chairs so they could sit with us for a while. Bill returned and Rob and Pat joined us. This was their first time in Quartzsite and got a kick out of the Big Tent and the boondocking area. Maybe next year, they will give it a try out here with us. They had a 2-hour drive back home so left around 2:30 to head for Pilot Knob RV Resort, their home until March.

From a different angle
Love the blue hair, Ken!
Within half hour, it was Happy Hour so without me having to move or walk anywhere, 7 of our friends joined us on our patio. The winds weren’t bad at all and I’m not just saying that because of my sheltered spot. I was still in shorts so that tells you something! Shortly after 5, we said our goodbyes and Bill, Rob and Ken made plans to meet at 5:30. Bill had invited them to join him at the Quartzsite RC Model Air Club to see a dusk show of lighted airplanes. Model airplanes.

Bill and the boys head to town
After they left, I took a few shots of the pretty western sky and wiped down the upper windows. There was a light film of dust (?) and even though the outside is terribly dirty, wiping them with a paper towel made a big difference. That was the time to do it when the sun was shining directly on the Suite. With that done, I warmed up a bowl of my chicken soup and toasted a piece of rye bread on the burner. I didn’t want to use the toaster since the generator was in the back of the truck – with Bill.

The clouds were the show stopper tonight


Each one different, but beautiful
 Our batteries were reading 13.8 when the sun was still up and immediately following its demise, they were at 12.5. Every night, the same thing happens. Bill suggested that I watch my 2 episodes of This is Us tonight so after doing the dishes, that is what I did for 2 hours. Such an awesome show and I am never ever disappointed. I love the characters as much as I love the story line. With that done, because Clemson was cuddled up next to me, I just remained where I was and read more of my book.

Good night everyone!
When Bill returned around 8, he informed me that they had a good time and enjoyed the show. They stopped at Carl’s Jr’s for supper before heading home. I’m glad Bill had company to go along with him. I got up and sorted clothes before finishing my post.  Our plan is to head into Blythe to do laundry in the morning and pick up a few groceries at Albertson’s. This has been a good day with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I hope you can say the same for your day.

Thank you for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. It was a very nice day and so very nice to spend time getting to know Marlene and Benno.And of course their 2 lovely dogs. More nice warm sunny days on the way,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to see M & B again.
      The warmer days are upon us!

      Delete
  2. Glad it is warming up for you all. Clemson is not being snobby, he's being the little old man sitting in his easy chair keeping an eye on the children. Give him a pat for me!! Love that sunset picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a while since it was shorts weather so I'm glad too!
      Yes, it's true, he is a little ole man for sure and we love him to death. :)
      Thanks for the pat, Nancy! (from Clemmy)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Liz! Happy cruising Marilynne! Thanks for thinking of Ken today :) Only waiting now for a call from the MRI scheduler and we will hit the road! Blood tests can wait till a month before 3/25 or less before 3/25. Your thankful paragraph was so much like our early morning thankfulness.:) Our $$ are tighter at the end of the month..but we always make it haha. So nice when those checks pop in the bank and all is good. Nice that Marlene and Benno stopped by to visit. Hopefully Bill took some pics of the evening fun! Boys and their toys! Beautiful sunset pics. Would you text me your jello recipe? Sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice, all those wishes! :)
      We are excited for you guys (and for us guys getting to see you again!)
      Yes, we love the end of the months too!!
      I texted the recipe to you. Enjoy!

      Delete
    2. Thank you I got it! Will be trying it soon! YUM!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday little sister Liz. Happy cruising step mom Marilynne. I've been thinking about Ken's appointment too.
    It sounds like a wonderful day. You are always a glass half full kind of person that is a wonderful way to be. Seeing everything with a positive spin. It makes life much rosier and easier to handle.
    Nice of your friends to drop in, glad they enjoyed the big tent. Happy hour as usual looks fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the family wishes and Ken's appt. is common knowledge as we all pray for the best results!
      Thank you also, I do see positive in most things and not too much gets me down. :)
      it was nice to see M & B again. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you guys for being such caring friends! Hoping to meet Deb and Riley in person this year if it all works out! Can't wait to see you all!

      Delete
  5. I agree it is a nice group parked here.
    Great pictures of the yellow flowers and the Magic Circle has some much prettier signs this year...lol (In the past we only saw black and white ones.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the Magic Circle signs, much brighter now. I still get veered off track! haha

      Delete