Wednesday, September 23, 2026

An Interesting Morning, A Year Older

The Ridge

It was 6:15 when I first woke up on the first day of Fall, Wednesday, Sept. 23rd. It was also the first day of my 72nd year on the face of the earth. Yup, getting up there but at least I don't feel any different. A friend of ours celebrates the same day and when we discovered he is 49 (!!), I thought 'oh how young!' Happy Birthday, Kenny!

Good morning!
This is not Kenny's but my
 birthday gift from Bill.
Not romantic? Maybe but who
says a bday gift has to be?
I love it!
Self-propelled and ready for spring.

Bill left around 7:15 right in the middle of a lovely phone call from my daughter. Bridgette takes advantage of her hour long drive to work, puts me on speaker phone (or bluetooth) and we chat away about 25 minutes of her drive. It is always nice to catch up.

Who's been sleeping in our bed?
One guess. I made it and Gibbs got
playful. LOL

I got washed, dressed and at 8:15 drove in to Durham. On the way, I stopped at Robins, left her a couple of beefsteak tomatoes from Donna and picked up the key to her town bnb. She was busy and Eastlink was going to install internet this morning. I only had to let them in and wait.

Because they give you a 4 hour grace period, I went for 8:30. I can't say enough about Robin and her talent with decorating these homes. The place looks amazing! A small space but everything guests would need and no clutter. 

As her bnb got closer to completion,
I gave her this project that I showed you
a while ago. It didn't win but an
'honourable mention' at the fair,
but Robin absolutely loved it!

I took some quilling supplies along and set up at the kitchen table. Within an hour, the technicial arrived and was there for an hour. I was quite comfortable so I stayed put for another hour and finished a greeting card. After leaving there, I drove down the block to Pat's home.

Not a great picture, but the tree
near Eckhardts is slowly changing
its dress.

I dropped a few items of clothing (that got into my bag on Sunday) for her, drove to the I.D.A. for more Aerius (for Gibbs) and scooted back to Robin's to drop off the key. From our cleanup of the shed, Bill had a Genie shop vac with no hoses to get rid of, I had some old candles and we had 3 fuel cans for sale.

Janill was more than pleased to get
this shop vac - even without hoses.
0$

Yesterday, I had posted all 3, only asking for cash for the cans. I got a serious text from a nice young man (2nd response) so met him back in Durham at the Credit Union parking lot to get the shop vac. Such a pleasant, respectable guy and he was thrilled with the 'gift'.

This was the biggest plant
for Robin. Beautiful!

On my way home, I stopped again at Robin's to tell her about the Eastlink install and to let her know that Bill was picking up Diefenbacia plants from Donna for her and bringing them today. Robin loves loves loves (& loves) plants so was very excited to get them.

Donna/Gerry sent bill home with
more tomatoes.
I'll have to eat them faster!

I followed Bill home from there and made myself a cup of tea. He and Gibbs had a snooze and set up my birthday cards. Some people, besides me, still mail greeting cards and I still enjoy opening them. I think my close friends and family deserve the cost of a stamp. 💖

Another card was waiting in the mailbox
for me today. 

When I arrived at the bnb, there was a vase of fresh flowers, a homemade pineapple upside down cake from Robin and a card from Mildred. (🤭) 

This was a total surprise!
I didn't even know Robin knew it
was my birthday.
Mildred must have told her.
💕

I'm meeting someone tomorrow in Priceville for the gas cans. At $5 each, they are getting a real deal but Bill doesn't like the cap assembly.  

They took up room we could use.

For supper, we've planned fish and chips/onion rings. It was delicious! We cleaned up the dishes and relaxed for the evening. 

This birthday supper suited me just fine!

It has been a great day and I was happy to have Bill home early on my birthday. We had a slice of my pb/chocolate loaf but it wasn't anywhere as good as that cake! I am disappointed in the taste of the loaf.


Ann brought us eggs and a zucchini
as a thank you for printing Evelyn's documents.

Bill still had lunch made from today so Gibbs got a slice of bologna from the boys at the field instead of cheese. Those boys love the little guy. Ann and her daughter, Evelyn, from next door brought us a dozen eggs and a zucchini for printing off a couple of documents for them. Not necessary but nice!

We sent Ann home with this chicken wire
that we will never use.
She will!

We reached a mild high of 18.33C/65F today under clear sunny skies. Not a bad start to fall. I hope you had a good one too.

Pat's hubby, Rob, and I had an
ongoing joke about rolling pins.
He always hinted at me making him a pie.
Robin decorated her bnb kitchen
with this display. I think Rob had
a hand in that decision!
💕
Good night!

Thank you for the visit.

16 comments:

  1. I know i dont get on your blog often(you know...that RV life. :) HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday and thank you for your great posts❣️
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday 🎂. A self propelled mower is a game changer!😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like those gas cans either!! The lawn mower ... a perfect gift in my book!!! Happy Birthday once again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. Again 🤭
      I love my mower!

      Delete
  5. Happy belated Birthday! You definitely had a great day. I think Bill's gift to you is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed your special day. Happy Birthday.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday. Look at the lovely things you got from your friends. Now that is a huge zucchini.
    I turn 71 on the 29th of December.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great Birthday for you! Nice surprise gifts from friends. Love the rolling pin display, too cute! Gibbs is going to have to learn to make the bed if he keeps it up! Cute.

    ReplyDelete