Sunday, September 13, 2020

A Working Saturday, Laundry and Campfire End to the Day

The Ridge

On Saturday, Sept. 12th I was in no hurry to get into the Mat so took my time, having a cuppa with Bill before leaving around 7:45. We’d sorted the dirty laundry together and I put 2 loads in the machines upon arrival. It was fairly busy this morning with 4 other customers. One familiar fellow and another young lady who was very pleasant and we had a nice chat about parents with dementia. Sadly, her Dad is only 73 with the illness. We exchanged names and I hope I run into her again.

A bright day on the horizon

It was after 9 when I pulled our clothes out and left the laundromat. I drove to Home Hardware as a favour to Mitch. He’d asked them to set 3 spray cans of paint aside for pick up and couldn’t get in last night. My delayed start time this morning made it possible since the store didn’t open until 9. I dropped them off and wasn’t surprised to see Black Beauty parked in the back. He was over helping close in that back area and get the doors hung.

I had a peek in the paint shop and this is what the Silverado is looking like now
It will be a two-tone truck but it is looking pretty fine already

Bill was saying that this would be a longer day than he first thought so after I hung the clothes, I took him a toasted egg sandwich with some juice and a thermos of coffee. The sun was making appearances throughout the morning so with the wind, it would be a good day to dry the clothes and to work outside. I didn’t have any outside things I wanted to do until it was time to put some things away from around the yard. I’d packed up the hammock the other day, not figuring I’ll use it again.

I could hear some chattering on the pond
and sure enough some of our geese were back

I'm sure they had come to say goodbye again
They are the lucky ones, they can cross the borders :)

I had the last of my soup for lunch, did dishes up and around 2 walked over with a Zero Coke and some Nutter Butter cookies to see Bill. He has a bit to go before he’ll stop for the day and I knew he’d need something cold to drink and a snack. Funny, as I walked up, he was texting me to bring him one and the same. 😊 Some days we can read each other’s minds! I chatted with him for a bit while he had a break and then I walked down the road past Turbine Lane to Horse Hill and turned around.

Ready to head to the laundromat
And a book to drop off at the exchange box

The clothes shouldn't take long in the sun and the wind


I'm standing on top of Horse Hill and can see the corner
at the highway
The horse farm is at the bottom of this rise


A very 'Ever' green forest

Turbine Lane

It was certainly warming up outside and it was humidity that we were really feeling in the air. The wind has died down but not completely and that is a good thing. The clothes on the line were dry so at 3 I brought them in and then walked over to sprinkle some crushed egg shells around the remaining producing tomato plants. Susan suggested they needed calcium, perhaps why they were splitting at the top. 


Black Beauty sitting behind Mitch
You can see the siding on the rest of his place
and that is what Bill will put on the back too


I will soon be stripping them down but in the meantime will do this with the shells. I brought in another armload (about 6) of tomatoes, some green as they were on the ground. Need to get out and get spices before they all ripen on me!

As I turned onto our road, I saw these riders ahead
approaching our lane way

I warned them that they were to Smile, they were on Candid Camera
They were fine with that
Such beautiful horses (from a distance)
That's just my 'fear' talking

We had to decline an invite to Happy Hour at our buddies because Bill won’t be done on time. I know that sometimes our working gets in the way of other things but we have accepted these jobs for a reason and we are in a much better position, financially, because of them. Soon, we hope to be able to relax with our good friends for another one of our long fun get togethers! Inside, I poured myself a cold diet gingerale.

I just took a few pictures around the property for fun


The pond on the west side of the lane, looking at it from
our back field view
That's the frog log on the right

The garden looks pretty pathetic but the tomatoes are still 'hanging in there'.

A while ago, I made up a cup of ‘coffee Jello’. A recipe I found online when I was looking for something else. I don’t know if you remember that. Well, it has been in the fridge waiting for me to make up some whipped cream. A day or two ago, I did that and so thought a good keto snack for me would be a bit of this Jello. With the whipping cream, I can’t say the coffee taste is as strong but it is still very nice. Then, I sat with my book. Leftovers for supper tonight so nothing to put together except a salad.

Coffee, Jell-0 and whipping cream

Bill got home at 4:45 and so I’d returned the invitation from Rob and Pat to come to our place instead. He was pretty dirty and didn’t feel like cleaning up (and he would have to) to drive into town. Our buddies are so obliging and flexible that they readily agreed so we were able to get together after all. Yay! 😊 We had a nice visit although short and we caught them up on all of our winter preparations and how we ended up with what we did.

And a nice picture of our buddies
As usual a fun time together although too short

They left at 6 and we had a quick supper.  Supper was good and filling with custard and whipped cream for dessert.  Bill washed and I dried the dishes and waited for Donna and Gerry to finish their supper and start the fire. That was an invite we had accepted earlier in the day. Gayle and John were already there, as was Mike, when we arrived around 7:30 and got home around 11.

Easy, tasty supper

Not for the first time, I envisioned a swing here
between these two trees

I'd be in close proximity to the Hangar

It was one of the best campfire nights we’ve had all summer. No mosquitos, no dampness, no coldness, just a lovely fire with great company. This was a good day. Bill worked more today than he’d planned but he finished what he wanted and Mitch is very pleased.

And a nice drive to the Acreage for a campfire
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in!

5 comments:

  1. Two posts this am how nice for us! Hi Rob and Pat! That was nice that they came out to visit! Nice that Bill got done what he wanted to on the doors. A campfire is always a wonderful way to end the day and it sounds perfect! Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even for a weekend you are all keeping busy.
    The pickup at Mitch's place really looks good.
    Bill always does the job right and it's certain that Mitch appreciates it.
    Nice way to finish off the day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your pond so close to the house, though I guess it probably would add to the mosquito population. But the birds, and the frogs, and the turtles...that would be worth it!

    The last photo of the sky is so pretty. Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had one of those ' reading each others minds' experiences today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had such a nice ending to your day. I've heard that fluctuations in moisture availability (e.g. too much rain after a bit of dryness) can cause tomato splitting. But I dunno. KInd of made sense....They get too full of the wet stuff...and then, well, make room and split.

    ReplyDelete