Wednesday, February 21, 2018

A New Day, New Weather, Walkabout, New Friends, Rib Night

On Wednesday, Feb. 21st I slept in! It was 7:30 when I slipped out of bed and I was thrilled to see blue sky out the windows when I opened the blinds. Yay! Finally, our sun has returned. Downstairs I was quick to learn that maybe it was sunny out there but it was also very cold. Black Beauty was experiencing some frost on his windshield.

Through our Suite window
The thermometer showed 34F. Brrr. I delayed my walk and instead turned the Keurig on and began making my tea. I read blog posts and comments and before too long Bill was joining me at the table. We talked more about our ‘homeward route plans’ and had our grapefruit. When Clemson got up around 8:30 to go out, I noticed that it wasn’t feeling too cold after all. By this time, the temperature had risen to 47F so I knew the sun was warming things up nicely.

Yup, the sky is almost 100% clear
and that is the sunshine up there
Oh, now I remember!
I flipped the power switch off at the pole and we turned the inverter on. Bill and I bundled up, yes, he actually put his hoody on, and we went for a walk. We chatted for a while with the couple, Jim and Sharon, whom I met the other day, about their Mobile Suite. Bill got an idea from something Jim does and that is always one of the nice things about talking to fellow rv’ers.

Pretty barrel cactus
Nice views from the park
On the way back, we noticed a lady with a nice camera focusing up in a tree so of course, we, the curious, stopped. We saw the road runner up there as if it was posing for us. I only had my phone with me so these pictures aren’t the greatest by any means. It was still nice to see him.

Mr. Beep Beep
Back home, I made some bacon and eggs for breakfast, well, brunch I guess, since it was 11 when we were eating. After dishes, we got cleaned up and went out to get into the truck. I needed stamps and we were driving into Huachuca City’s Post Office. Remember that we tried doing that on Monday before realizing it was a holiday.


A different angle
Outside, Bill was talking to the neighbor on the west side of us in the other Mobile Suite. It seemed to be a DoubleTree day! (Manufacturer of our Mobile Suites) Rick and Colene have been living in theirs since 1997, full-time. They seem like a really nice couple and hopefully we’ll have a nice day to sit out with them and have a drink together before we leave. Clem made another friend too, Katie in her pink sweater is adorable.

From a street in Huachuca City
There was a warning that there were no guard rails on this hill
I got my stamps and mailed some cards and then we took a drive down some more back streets of the small town. So many of the homes are the same style and many have visible pride of ownership. Others on the street tend to bring the neighbourhood value down as there are broken down vehicles all around the property. It is too bad but I get the impression that Huachuca is a low income ‘city’. We did drive some streets that had nicer homes and this particular one had some that were the bright coloured stucco of the southwest. They were quite nice.


We were both feeling tired, although we’d both slept well last night, so headed home and hit the recliners and our books. That lasted about 10 minutes and we were stretched out in slumber. More clouds moved in and we could feel the temperature dropping. The high today made it to 59F with a cold wind from the southwest. We were quite comfy cozy inside our home.


It was 3 o’clock and when Bill got up to get Clemson’s supper, I got up and made a cup of tea. It was Happy Hour after all. A couple of Girl Guide cookies for dunking were just the right fix. We watched some tv in between reading. You’d think I was completing a lot of books with all this reading, but I get distracted too easy. Bill, on the other hand, has finished two in the time it takes me to read one. He gets so focused, nothing around him gets in the way. I will be finishing my Dust to Dust tonight though.

this street displayed some of the southwestern colours that we love
At 5:30 I prepared the cooked pork ribs and then washed and cut up potatoes for French fries. Two potatoes made a nice batch and I wanted to only eat a few and let Bill have the rest. I was steaming broccoli for me. We like sweet and sour sauce on our ribs so Bill slathered it on and warmed and browned them. Yum, they looked and tasted delicious! Each time we do ribs, we get better at it.


Dishes were cleaned up and we found an old movie on the boob tube. Pretty Woman. We have seen it so many times, but it is one of those go-to movies. It isn’t hard for me to watch Richard Gere and the same for Bill with Julia Roberts. While it was on, we did our own thing on our laptops. Clemson did his own thing too, sleeping in our chairs.
The view heading north towards the park on Az 90
is one we never tire of
 This has been a good day. We didn’t do a lot but we don’t have to be busy-busy to enjoy our time here. I actually meant to dust the Suite today and Bill was going to vacuum. That didn’t get done. Woops! There is always tomorrow!

So pretty, see the mountains off in the distance?
Supper was good tonight
Thank you for reading today. If you wish to leave a comment, please do. I love to read them.

16 comments:

  1. Frost! I hope that doesn't become a habit. Got down to 30 here, but no moisture.

    I didn't know Roadrunners could fly. Now I know.

    Glad the sun is coming out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know! This morning, it is 33F and no frost. Weird.
      Never seen them in flight but he was up there pretty high. :)
      thanks Doug.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know roadrunners could fly either.

    You can have the frost, brrr..is right. I would have stayed in too, in fact I did. Hahaha

    Love the pictures. The little towns are always fascinating to see, aren't they?

    Hopefully it warms up now.

    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is a learning experience, good to learn something every day. sometimes we do, others.....nope!
      Feels colder this morning at 33F but no frost. I braved it for a 20 min. walk.
      thank you, the towns draw us to see the way people live. Most times we are very grateful for what we have and are doing. :)

      Delete
  3. You certainly had lovely blue skies and wonderful white fluffy clouds today. That view looks familiar, thanks for sharing...:)

    Along with Deb and Doug I learned something new today; I did not know Roadrunners could fly either.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all winners today, learning something! :)
      The sky was pretty for sure but a cool day.

      Delete
  4. Nice to have a sunny sky again. Love seeing the roadrunners fly its been a few years but have seen them in trees and on fences. In a various places in the southwest.
    Glad you are enjoying it there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fort Huachuca is the U. S. Army Intelligence Center, located not far from you. It's home to lots of underpaid Army families and single guys, therefore not exactly a well off city. The closer you get to Mexico, the lower the income it seems.

    I'm glad you're catching up with the Roadrunners!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy for that tidbit about the inhabitants of Huachuca City. That makes total sense. They are all doing the best they can and no matter what they are living in, they are looking after their own. Military etc. of all people should be compensated for their service.

      Delete
  6. When we stayed at the Tombstone Territory RV Park in Huachuca City we had frost many nights and had to have the faucet open to let the water dripping overnight so the lines would not freeze up. One of our RV neighbours forgot to open the discharge valve and went squish squash through his living room carpet in the morning. That RV park has a good sized heated indoor pool and hot tub surrounded with exercise equipment. I was usually the only one there using it. If you haven't seen the coal mine and caves yet you might find those interesting to visit, but there are also thrift shops in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the info, Marlene. There is so much we haven't seen yet around here and hope to get to them all over the next few years.
      That park sounds nice, I think our friends might have stayed there last year.
      Good trick with the water tap dripping for sure, also the valve!

      Delete
  7. Our overnight temp was -4 and going up to +2 by noon. No blue skies though. The weekend is supposed to be +7 and sunshine. We are crossing our fingers that spring is arriving earlier than expected. It's nice to see bare ground in the backyard though not nearly as pretty as the blanket of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, you should feel the warmth when the sun comes. It makes such a difference!
      Hoping for that early spring to come and stay too! :)

      Delete
  8. I think Rick and Coleen are the longest full time people that I've heard of 1997! Wow. Hope you are able to get together, bet they have a lot of stories to tell! Great pictures Patsy! Dinner looked awesome too, making me hungry! haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, I missed this comment Shirley. :(
      We never did get together other than a bit of chit chat every day. The weather wasn't conducive to sitting out and she had been sick.

      Delete