Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentine’s Day! Curiosity is a Good Thing, San Xavier Mission


I hope this is a wonderful day for you. Whether you get spoiled, do the spoiling (which I think is the responsibility of both) or whether you just treat it like a regular day. My prayer is that it is a great one for all of us.

Look at this young couple in 2010 in our house
We were already dreaming of a southwestern theme!
My day started on Wednesday, Feb. 14th at 6:40 when I got up. Leaving the sleeping beauties in bed, I opened the shades and tucked a bag in my pocket before heading out the door. The sky was cloudy so there would be no sunrise this morning, not here in this corner of the world anyway. It was so mild out at 57F so just a light hoody and my windbreaker was required.

My Valentine left me a gift to wake up to

You would think he knows me
I finally got my Gambel's Quails!
Soon enough I was eyeballing grapefruit trees laden with fruit. I was foraging for breakfast! Some big fruit was hanging near the top branches, teasing me with their height but others were accessible with a little bit of stretching. I soon found out how thorny the branches are but Nancy had pre-warned me.


I've since this picture picked 8 more oranges from our tree
I walked around the park and picked from the trees on other sites, this is allowed, by the way, otherwise the fruit will go to waste. When I’d walked about a mile and gathered 8 grapefruit, I headed home to drop them off and then went out again to finish my walk. Those things are heavy! When I headed back down our lane, Bill and Clemson met me and we sauntered back together for our tea and coffee.
Putting greens all over the park

But you have to provide the balls and clubs

Bill wanted to meet the couple from Illinois, in the Alto that was purchased at CanAm so he walked over while I caught up on friend’s blog posts and comments. He was curious about who they knew at CanAm and their story. He was gone for maybe half hour so I knew he had a chance to meet them. John and Sandy welcomed him and they had a nice chit chat. They had not met before, having bought their Alto the fall of 2016 when he wasn’t working there.
Ken and Nancy just two rows over from us

One pool table and a nice fireplace

One of the pools

Oooh, Clemson would like this! NOT!!
I had my shower when he returned and then made bacon and eggs for breakfast at 10. We were discussing today’s plans and Ken had mentioned that the San Xavier Mission was something to see, as did Nancy in her comment. It was settled then, plans for the day. So, Bill had his shower and we all left shortly after 12:30.




Today is Ash Wednesday, so there is a service at 12:15. Not needing a blessing today (my sister thinks we might be struck by lightening if we went!) we opted to go AFTER the service so we could still view the church ‘safely’. Thanks Donna for that reflection, by the way.  http://www.sanxaviermission.org/

Wow! Ancient and beautiful
Approaching the Mission gets you enthralled instantly. What a magnificent sight! The Mission was first founded in 1692, established by a Jesuit missionary Father Kino. He was renowned for bringing Catholicism to the indigenous peoples of the area. This structure was begun in 1783 with 7,000 pesos borrowed from a Sonoran rancher. Villagers from Bac, a nearby village, helped build from start to finish.

The ceiling, you know what they say about pictures
No justice is done with these either

Now that is an impressive altar
Artists from central New Spain (Mexico) worked to complete the interior for 14 years. When the money ran out, the artists and artisans were discharged, with the structure unfinished. The east tower had no dome and was left with bare bricks while inside the paintings in the choir loft and baptistry were also incomplete. Bac’s parishioners didn’t stop, dismantling their old church and rebuilding to Xavier.
Wooden statue of San Francisco Xavier
Parishioners would leave lapel pins or medical bracelets pinned to his covering
Only a few shown here but Nancy said it was covered when they visited last



I didn't need any proof about Bill and Ken
but they were both able to lift the head of the statue
Nancy and I didn't try
The Mission fell under the jurisdiction of Spain until Mexico won independence in 1821 and in 1854 San Xavier was brought into the United States. The flag of the Tohono O’odham Nation flies over the mission. Since then the church has been restored and preserved at a cost of more than $10 million. There are many more restorations to be done before it is finished. We truly enjoyed the church and its history from beginning to end of our self-guided tour.

You walked in and out of different rooms
Through a cactus garden and into a smaller Chapel filled with lit candles

The Chapel burned badly within the last couple of years
The statues are wooden so there are now very strict rules to follow when inside
lighting candles
After the fire, less statues but seemingly
fully restored
The church remains a working church with spiritual leadership to the parish weekly. There is a school next to the Mission dating back to 1873, currently educating an attendance between grades K-8. 


I thought this was very touching as Ken and Nancy lit a candle
We stopped at the Gift Shop, of course! Bill found a really nice t-shirt representing the Nation and I picked up a few post cards and greeting cards. 

You were semi-covered as you walked from some of the rooms
The roof is impressive, hand built and these spikey things would be to keep
the birds from nesting up there
Harsh perhaps, but necessary
This is a photograph


This is the actual corner talked about above
You don't even have to guess whether this is genuine kitchen tools
We walked over to the little Café on site and had an afternoon Appetizer with a drink. We each ordered a plate of 3 different flavoured Popovers, an Indian fare. Nancy didn’t need to but she treated us to this Valentine’s Day special. Thanks Nancy! These were very light pastries with either honey, chocolate or strawberry drizzle. All were very good and we discussed our favourite while chatting about the day’s adventure.


ooey gooey Good for a treat
The rain that was forecasted for today arrived sporadically, a few drops here and there before we left home and by the time we were inside the church, it became more of a light rainfall. It was warm though between 52F and 60F. With no wind, light jackets were all that was required. Classes were just getting out as we were trying to make our exit from the lot. Parents’ vehicles must get frustrated with the tourists!

One side restored, the right badly in need
Appropriate, no?
You could hike up Grotto Hill if you wished
We did not
This was not part of the Church property but certain special services were carried out up there
We didn't get much info about it
We returned to the park dropping Ken and Nancy off around 3:30 at their Solitude. We’ll see them before we leave in the morning. We have sure made the best of our 2 days together.

A great picture of great friends together
Clemson is either getting more and more fed up with his parents or getting used to the fact that suppertime is later and later. He is such a good little guy, looking after all of our worldly possessions when we vacate for our trips. I had pulled a steak out of the freezer before we left and it was mostly thawed but with our late ‘treat’ we don’t need a big meal. Maybe a bowl of chili will fit the bill tonight when we are hungry.
Simple supper
Large motor coaches are pulling in behind us on the other side of the fence and we’re trying to understand why they are there, exactly. Two Allegros are plugged into hydro but not water and no slides are open. We wonder if they have flown out somewhere. Sometimes that is what we spend time on, trying to figure out what other people are doing. Curiosity, that is what it is and because what else do we have to be concerned about.
Poor Bill had to squeeze out around me to stay in the picture
But a nice picture of us all
Just now, I watched a Phaeton back in directly behind our Suite. First, she directed him and then he got out while she backed up the last 5’ and he plugged in, hooked up water and put their slides out. Hmm, guess these two are staying. Now that I see that, I am thinking this is ‘overflow’ parking for some as there are no trees, indicating perhaps not regular sites.

this is the on site Cafe of which I can't recall the name
The biggest performance was watching her backing up their Honda CRV. We agree, not a big tow vehicle, right? He appeared as if he was ready to bop her one, trying to get her onto the middle of the paved pad. He finally went into the coach. Where she left it, they can’t open the CRV driver’s door at the same time as they open the door to the coach. My oh my. I shouldn’t, but I do chuckle as I people-watch. I’m sure I’m not the only one who does this.

Into each life, a little rain must fall

It was Jim Croce who sang the words “No one ever had a rainbow without first having the rain.”
I poured my last bit of Beer Margaritas that are mixed up and sat in my chair beside Bill and Clem with my book. Bill had a snooze and I read. This book is so good! Around 5:45 Bill got up and retrieved a can of chili from the hall cupboard. I just glared at him with a “you’ve got to be kidding me? Did we discuss supper?” look. He made the motion of mind reading by touching his temples and pointing to me. We laughed, no we had not talked about chili but we each had our own idea.

That was easy and just enough. He had his on toast and I had mine with soda crackers and butter. The brand we bought in a 6 pack (Costco) is much spicier than we like it but we’re halfway through them. If I make a full pot of homemade one day, I’ll add them to it but I must admit it comes in handy on nights like this when we aren’t too hungry.
On the wall outside of the Gift Shop
Bill addressed a few post cards that he bought yesterday to send back home and then we cleaned up the dishes. 
Speaking of home
Donna sent these of the Ridge today
They had a sunny day and +6 today 42F)
These great days are just piling up on top of each other and no one can say we aren’t making the best of them. Today was our second mostly full day of rain since we left home in late October. If we’d hung around the park, we’d have been restricted indoors so this was the best thing to do. Go sightseeing!

The first picture was Bill and I
Valentine's Day 2010
This one is from today.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
I hope you have enjoyed your day. Thank you for stopping by. Your comments mean a lot to me. I will answer each one.

25 comments:

  1. What an excellent day. Love the Mission pictures. So much history here in the southwest areas. I never get tired of exploring.

    Great minds think alike!

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another great day exploring. We had a wonderful time here.
      Yes, so often do our minds think alike, it is almost spooky!

      Delete
  2. Awe. You guys look as in love today as you were in 2010. You are seeing some neat things there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you went to the Mission. So here is my mission story. My 3 older sisters were born at home but I came a little later so I was born in the Yuma Co. Hospital. My mother always had fast labors and she didn't think she would get to the hospital in time for my birth. She promised St. Francis Xavier that if she made it to the hospital she would name me after him (my middle name is Frances) and as soon as they could, my parents would take me to the Mission. So my very first road trip of my life was to this Mission. It's very special to me. Second bit of info....my great grandmother from Dome Valley had a brother that married a Papago women and they had 6 children before she died. The Papago are now Tohono O'odham. So I have cousins from this tribe. They are very proud of their heritage. I also have cousins that belong to the Quechan tribe. I envy my Quechan cousins...they get some perks I would love to have. LOL. It truly warms my heart to see what you see thru new eyes. It really makes me appreciate my heritage. I look forward to your next adventure. Elva Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly understand why this area is so dear to your heart. I love the story of your middle name especially. I'm glad to hear that you appreciate your heritage too, we all should learn and know about our own. Thank you Elva for sharing YOUR story!

      Delete
  4. You two have had a couple of busy days. Tom and I have talked about stopping in Tucson when we start heading East to see the Titan II Missile Museum; now we will have to revisit the Saguaro National Park to see the crested Saguaro...LOL (Was it the one on the west side, the Tucson Mountain district?)
    Tom and I visited the San Xavier Mission a few years ago. We would agree it is beautiful. We attended Mass there and I was distracted more than once during the Mass as my head was turning every which way to see all around us. So many beautiful things to look at. Continued safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing, I love that you were able to pick all that wonderful fruit...enjoy...:)

      Delete
    2. We have had a great time here in Tucson, seeing the sights. The Saguaro Park is on the west side but once in there, I believe the Desert Museum (where the crested is) is on the east. You know me and directions. LOL It is clearly marked for the Desert Museum once in the park.
      I wasn't sure if you'd been to the Mission but I thought of you guys and sincerely hoped you had or would.
      Yes, I got my fruit! If it wasn't raining this morning, I'd be on a ladder at our orange tree!

      Delete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day to you two love birds. Great way to spend it at the Mission. Great pictures of it.

    I enjoyed the comment made by Elva Frances Shannon.

    I wonder how you were able to handle eight grapefruit without dropping them before getting them home.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug and Happy Valentine's Day to you two love birds too! I read your comments back and forth with Dolly. Kind of felt like I was intruding but I'm sure you didn't mind. :)
      I also enjoyed Elva's story.
      I'm a juggler from another life! ha ha, no I did take a bag in prep for my 'hunt'.

      Delete
  6. Enjoying your blog.
    A can of chili with some cheese sounds good to me. Some days I just
    don't want to fix a meal..... Nice to be flexible.
    What good book are you reading? I love to read too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda. Thank you for reading and even more for commenting!
      I like grated cheese on many things, chili being the best.
      I just finished Lee Child's The Affair. It was sooo good. I almost think I love his character Jack Reacher best of all authors I read. I laugh so much at his antics.

      Delete
  7. You got to see the Mission, glad you did , have driven by there so many times but never stopped . We hope to stop by there on our way home this year. Travel safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mission is certainly worth a stop, amazing interior and history.
      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  8. I'm SO glad you went to the Mission. Isn't it just amazing? I go every time I'm here. Once you get up on the little mountain there's a level pathway going completely around it. On the way, you can see the grotto filled with candles and great views of the farmland co-op the tribe operates. I'm also glad you tried some of the local food. As you probably saw, they don't have the newest of pots and pans, but it's how some of the local tribesmen make money for their household. SO many stories there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad too that Ken suggested it. It was awesome! I was in wedged heels so not prepared to climb the little mountain. I'll bet it was very neat up there too.
      The popovers were yummy, light but kept us satisfied until we had our light dinner.
      The history of San Xavier is very interesting.

      Delete
  9. I just had to come back and say that I people watch too! Sometimes I even offer to help if I think they will accept it graciously. Sometimes that's a mistake! Unfortunately, I've seen more arguments and bad parking than anything else!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thank you for adding your comment. Glad I'm not the only one. In this case I watched from inside the Suite so they couldn't see me watching. :)

      Delete
  10. Love your first and last pictures! Too cute! The Gamble quails are beautiful..how thoughtful Bill! The mission pictures turned out really nice, I know we say all the time that pictures just don't do it justice. I love the sign with the Strangers and Angels saying..so true. We are also people watchers, always making up our own stories about the people we see! Makes life truly entertaining! Travel safe today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill really gave me a thoughtful gift. He knows how much I love the quails.
      Fun to watch people and also make up stories. ha ha

      Delete
  11. Lots of great info on the Mission. You did your homework for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sis. Such a beautiful place. You could sit for an hour and still see something new when you turned your head.

      Delete
  12. Very interesting church! Thanks for the best wishes. Fri. 8am!

    ReplyDelete