Saturday, February 3, 2018

Los Algodones, Impressions, Two for the Pool, Four for a Campfire

I was up at 7 this morning, Friday, Feb. 2nd (aka Groundhog Day). Back home it would be the day to pray for clouds so that our Wiarton Willie didn’t see his shadow. It’s a good thing Arizona doesn’t have a groundhog forecasting their winter because he’d see his shadow every single morning! Of course, an Arizona winter is nothing to snivel about.

I opened the blinds and made my tea while catching up on my blog reading. It is nice to hear what everyone is up to but I run out of time. Bill got up around 7:30 and the morning didn’t quite go as planned. We’d hoped to be out the door by 9 and it was closer to 10 when we loaded our butts into Black Beauty. This was the day we wanted to cross over into Mexico to our dentist.
On S Avenue this full truck of iceberg lettuce pulled out of the field
How impressive that all the packaging, boxing and skidding is done outside in the heat of the sun
Bill wanted Dr. Eva Urena to do an evaluation on his teeth, one molar in particular where he’d lost a filling on our trip down. We paid the $6 to park on the U.S. side and walked across fairly quickly trying to avoid all the offers of this that and the other thing. We walked into her office and there was only one other customer waiting. Bill asked what the chances were of him seeing her.

This is the courtyard outside Dr. Eva's dental practice

Bill leaving her office
We were surprised and pleased. She took him in pretty much right away, without an appointment, and there is a lot to be said about that! 

Dr. Eva is a petite very polite and thorough dentist
Her clients rave about her work
While he was in the back, I walked outside for a few minutes and George, Dr. Eva’s hubby and clerk called me in. Bill was given a recommendation and a quote on the work required and he wanted my opinion.
This colourful dancer was all too happy to pose for me
We left after she took an impression of the tooth in question plus the rest of his choppers.  He made an appointment to come back and get his *gold* filling next Friday. Our joke is that I’ll be a rich woman if he goes before me. Ha ha. Before we crossed back into the U.S. we took a walk through the Purple Pharmacy. We all know what THAT means! I was keen to get a bottle of Tequila (blame Deb D. for this one).

Pretty sky today to keep the heat of the day to a minimum
We drove from the lot to Yuma as we had quite the list of groceries to get at Fry’s. It is tough to know where things can be found in each store, not like at home where you get used to the same location of your regular items. But when you can load your cart full of food, plus a 6 pack of beer, almost every meat on the menu and a couple weeks’ worth of dairy for $200 and then flash your Savings Card to get $50 off, who can complain? Some things aren’t packaged the way we are used to but we got everything we needed.

This market is at the end of our road so we'll be stopping in when I need fresh
veggies or fruit to see what they offer
It was 1:30 by the time we were scooting towards home and our bowl of cereal at 9 was wearing off. Naturally, the only good thing in that bowl was the milk but I didn’t want to take the time for bacon and eggs before we left. So, at home we had a mini snack with a few crackers and cheese to tie us over until supper time. Bill had a wee shut-eye before it was time for Clemson’s meal.

As always, I was impressed with the planting in the foreground
but more with the white buses in the background filled with
workers harvesting the crops
We changed into our swimsuits and walked up to the pool. This was late to be going for a dip, compared to my usual 1 or 2 o’clock time but I was happy that Bill was joining me today. Not surprising, we were greeted by Jim and his music. He showed us his new music thing-a-ma-jig while we were swimming around on our noodles. This pool is 8 or 9’ deep which is odd for these parks but with noodles to float on, it doesn’t matter.

Yum, this was a delicious supper
Before we said goodbye at the pool, Jim invited us over for a small campfire tonight. That will be nice for a change. If it is warm like last evening, I will enjoy sitting outside for a while. We headed back around 4:45 and after I sat with my book for a bit, Bill lit the Weber. Steak tonight, to share, with potatoes, corn and broccoli. Yum. We’re hungry for it too. Between the Weber and the microwave and the stove top, everything turned out great.
Yay! Mrs. Hummer found us again!
We cleaned up dishes and at 7 we put Clem in charge again and took our bottle of Yellow Tail Chardonnay and chairs over to Jim and Sharon’s. They had their outdoor propane fireplace ready to go and we sat on the patio for 3 hours. Time was of no importance, the conversation flowed and we discovered we have lots in common among our families.
I thought I'd share a couple of Clemson's favourite night time
positions - always beside Momma and usually until bedtime
There's room for both of us in my recliner
While there we met a couple of their friends, Verna and Stuart. Verna had us in stitches from the minute she greeted us to the time she left. “But that’s another story”. Ha ha. Jim, Sharon and Bill will understand that. 

A great evening for a fire with friends
Sharon, Jim, Verna (she should write for Hallmark) and Bill
Getting a tour through their beautiful American Eagle motor coach was a bonus. For the first time, I can honestly say that slides are not a necessity.


Back home at 10:00, I knew that my post would not get published tonight. A couple of glasses of wine has done us in. Let's just say the bottle was empty when it came home. I’m hoping to get the last 4 chapters of my book finished before I give it up for the night. This has been a good day from beginning to end. I hope you can say the same.

Didn't walk to catch the sunset so this is the unspectacular moon
on our way home from the campfire


Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to drop a comment, I enjoy every one. 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great productive day, and spending so time with Jim and Sharon is always a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've enjoyed getting to know Jim and Sharon. They're moving on soon.

      Delete
  2. So that's gold in them there teeth. Sure don't get gold in fillings in the states.

    Those American Eagles are fantastic buses. I would like to see inside one.

    Sounds like you and Bill had a full day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you're right Doug. I won't wish to claim the gold though. :)
      I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice the A.E. was. never been in one.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you two accomplished a lot yesterday. Ending the day at a campfire with friends is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a pretty full day. I'm tired just thinking about all of that.
    Love the dancer!!
    Glad you had a chance to spend time meeting and getting acquainted with some folks. Always nice when you have lots in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a full day but things got done as well as some relaxing time. :)
      Jim and Sharon are a lovely couple and we're glad to get to know them.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great day you had! We figured you were having too much fun, when there was no post in the morning! Good for you two. Nice that Bill can get in to see the dentist and he likes her and her work is a good bonus! Cheaper rates than home, I would assume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day. You know me too well about the posting! ha ha I'm not a night owl so after 10 and I don't post until morning.
      Yes, the dentist prices are about $1,000 cheaper than the same filling at home.

      Delete
  6. I do all my shopping at the Purple Pharmacy!!! Love the sights around Los Algodones.

    ReplyDelete