Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Early Wash Loads, Early Snow Flurries, Saying Buenas Noches!


On Wednesday, Feb. 28th, the end of this short month already, I was awake early and up at 6:30. We had made plans before going to bed last night that I was to get Bill up at 7 so we could snag a couple of washing machines, early. I didn’t have to wake him. I made my tea in my ‘takeaway’ cup and sat in my recliner with my laptop to read.

sitting in the clubhouse
I have discovered that it is warmer sitting there in the morning rather than at the table. As insulated as our Suite is, depending on the wind direction, I feel cool air on my left side sitting near the windows. This is an easy fix and it is definitely more comfortable sitting in a softer chair. It wasn’t long and Bill was up too, making the bed and starting to sort the dirty clothes. Good, just two loads will do it!
So, Bill loaded the truck and drove me up to the clubhouse. We filled the washers, his job is putting the detergent in and rinsing the cup before leaving me to it. I don’t mind at all, he is contributing and there is no point in both of us sitting here. I took my laptop into the clubhouse, right beside the laundry room and settled in to read. I texted my sister, Donna, as usual to let her know what we’re up to today. It is 2 hours later in Ontario so their day is already in full mode.

Pretty view of the mountains covered in fresh snow
Not sure if you'll be able to see the flurries

No sooner did I send her a message and I looked out to see snow flurries. Light flurries. It is actually 34F so I’m surprised how one day can differ from another. Anyway, it won’t deter us from enjoying the day. We have a couple of things planned around here. Bill joined me shortly after I put the clothes in the dryer and we spent the last 30 minutes together and folded the laundry. Glad to have that job done.

Bill took this picture
After putting things away, (it all dried well this time, yay!) I made our bacon and egg omelette breakfasts. Yesterday, I cooked a pot of steel cut oats because sometimes I miss a bowl of hot porridge. That is the best choice rather than regular oatmeal for me on this paleo ‘diet’ and I do enjoy it. We cleaned up the dishes and what sun we did see earlier, has been blanketed by the thick gray clouds and we aren't expecting to hit anything more than 46F today.

Bill walked out to the highway to take these
Donna responded stating that they are experiencing a wonderful day with 51F and sunshine at noon hour. Good for them! I know it won’t last although my son was insistent that they wouldn’t get any more ‘real’ winter weather again. Not enough to stay on the ground anyway. I hope he is right and not only because I’ll tease him if he is wrong and tell him not to give up his day job. Ha ha

I love the colours here
Now, that we are cleaned up from breakfast on a dull day, is the part I enjoy. We don’t have any obligations until 3 pm today so we can do what we want. Everything is packed up with the exception of our patio mat. When it is dry, we’ll put it away. Tanks will be dumped either tonight or in the morning and we’ll be set to pull out by 9:30 or so. 

We bought 2 pineapples at Fry's, one of our favourite fruits. Bill is using my Avon pineapple corer in these pictures. Such an easy way to peel, core and slice all in 2 or 3 steps and little mess. (you can click on these pics to enlarge)







Bill worked on filling out our 8840 forms to be sent to the IRS. These are required by the United States to prove that we have closer ties to Canada. It allows us to stay 183 days in the U.S. thus allowing us to enjoy this great winter weather for 5+ months. We will always save a few days grace in case something delays our return.

Very quickly, we had visible snow in Arizona


Clemson and I sat and pretty much did nothing other than relaxing and reading and playing on the internet. It was probably noon hour when I decided to bake something. Two recipes I looked at only proved that I was missing one key ingredient so I almost abandoned the whole idea. Then, I thought of cookies because I talked Bill ‘out’ of buying cookies at Fry’s the other day.

I see someone who might like some home baked cookies
I'm not talking about Clemson
So, I pulled the ingredients out and mixed up a batch of dough for Molasses Crinkles. It indicates that this recipe will make 3 dozen cookies but I must have made them smaller as I have at least 48. I wasn’t sure if Bill would like them but they turned out pretty perfect in my convection oven and taste yummy! Yes, they are sweet but we’ll just have to control ourselves and only have a couple a day.




They don't look perfect, but they're good!
With our tea we walked up to the front clubhouse for 3 o’clock where we’d arranged to meet George and Suzie (OurAwesome Travels) and Sandy and Randy. We’d met this couple last winter at Quartzsite but we couldn’t picture them. As soon as Sandy walked in, it clicked and yes, we remembered meeting her before. I'm not sure if I met Randy before and he said the same thing about me, so not likely.

an indoor Happy Hour at the clubhouse
 It was a nice visit as well as a nice goodbye. We all discussed our route home, rv repairs, cranes, border crossings and booze before our final hugs. From there, Bill and I walked further back to have a quick visit with Deb and Dj. We wanted to say goodbye to them as well. It has been nice visiting with them while we were here and we've all learned a bit more about each other.


and Sandy was gracious enough to take one with me in it too
Walking back home, the sky was clear and the sun was fierce in its desire to warm us up. Unfortunately, the wind was bitter and I was happy to be bundled in my 3 layers. The temperature never got above 45F today and that is not okay. Tomorrow at least, we should get our warmth back. The snow had stopped late morning leaving nothing on the ground until just before noon the sky to the west let go. I snapped these pictures within 15 seconds of it starting. Luckily, it didn’t last.


For supper tonight, we both agreed that we’d open a can of chili for Bill and I would finish up the last of my vegetable soup. I had removed the pieces of chicken that were left in it, simply because even though I trust that the veggies wouldn’t go bad, the chicken is not something I want to mess with. Bill had a bun with his and I had some buttered soda crackers hoping it would be enough to fill us.

After cleaning up dishes, Bill dumped our gray and black tanks. Two weeks here and the gray, especially, was full. Then we sat together watching an episode of The Curse of Oak Island. Interesting stuff. A true example of patience and determination in the search for a treasure. The air just kept dropping into the evening and for the last day of February, we can truly say it was the coldest day we’ve experienced since we left home on Oct. 23rd.
I like the shape of this sprawly tree
This has been a good day, cleaning a few things up, saying goodbyes to friends here in the park and under the surface, the building excitement of a new adventure waiting for us in the morning. We are looking forward to returning to a location we visited in November of 2016 and hanging out there for a few days. We were happy to see the brilliant sun this afternoon.

I hope you have enjoyed the day and that is was warmer than ours was. What is with the"Buenas noches", in my title? Well, unashamedly, I am trying to brush up on my Spanish. I'd learned a few basic words while I worked at the school board and Laurel told me about this free app. It is a language Bill and I think will be fun to learn.

Can you differentiate the clouds from the mountains?
I want to thank you for taking the time to read my writings today. Feel free to drop a line.

21 comments:

  1. That is an awesome pineapple tool. New to me.
    You sure spoil your boys. Hope they recipricate.
    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an Avon product and I've seen it at the Avon booth at the Q.
      My boys do treat me pretty good too.

      Delete
  2. An excellent last day there at the park. Glad you managed to get your visits all in without being knee deep in snow. We haven't had too many cold days but as soon as we start heading north I'm sure the temps will drop more and more.

    Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were lucky to just have a dusting of snow and then it was quickly gone. It is Arizona after all! :)

      Delete
  3. The pictures, yesterday, of your grandson he is a cutie. I couldn't help myself, even though I feel sorry for Clemson being blown over, I had to laugh.
    The pictures of the mountains with the snow and clouds are beautiful.
    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, yes Nate is a cutie and a little bean pole!
      I won't tell Clem you laughed too.
      I must admit the snow on the mountains is pretty. That is where it can stay for my liking! :) thanks Deb and Tom.

      Delete
  4. Nice post!
    Yum, those home made cookies have me wanting to make some.
    Hadn't even thought of it, but...... Yep, tomorrow, chocolate chip, walnut cookies! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. I shouldn't make cookies because then we eat them but once in a while it is a treat. I'm just happy they turned out, in my convection oven, they don't always come out the same. :)

      Delete
  5. Well hopefully you are headed to warmer weather and no snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too! although I know it is warming up here today and where we're headed for a few days more at least.

      Delete
  6. It was a fun day watch g the weather do it's thing. Nice to see you guys again before you leave. Travel safe and enjoy the journey, no doubt we will see you on down the road again.
    Spanish is fun we learned a lots when we were in Mexico for 3 months especially the small villages were interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a different kind of weather day for sure. Ended up brisk but beautiful with the full sun.
      Great to have one more happy hour and you never know when the next one will be!
      Thanks for the travel wishes. We've always liked the sound of Spanish so we'll see what we can pick up. Probably need to spend time in Mexico to really get onto it.

      Delete
  7. I love pineapple but never buy it because it's so hard to cut up. That corer makes it look much easier!

    Snow here too, but luckily the sun warmed us back up by 1:00. I thought it was supposed to be WARM here in the winter!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avon sells the corer and it is 90% easier than how they show you. We love it too.
      Isn't this Arizona? ha ha shocking to get snow here. Oh well....it is a conversation starter, EH?

      Delete
  8. That pineapple corer is awesome! You could mix a fruity drink and you'd think you were in Hawaii,drinking from a pineapple cup! Happy Hour looked great, nice group of people. Cookies look yummy too. Those kinds of days with that weather just kind of meld with cooking I think. The pics were gorgeous, even though I know it's not what you want to see! Enjoy your drive, looking forward to seeing where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my corer and we both love pineapples so when they are on sale, we eat them a lot.
      We had a good time meeting up with Sandy and Randy again. The cookies are almost too sweet so we've agreed to eat them slowly and next time, less sugar. Thank you, I'll let today's post tell you where we are. ;)

      Delete
  9. Clemson falling over.....I had to tell my husband . He felt sorry. ....said "poor dog". Our cousin is in Palm Deset right now. I sent her a text about Clemson. Poor dog....his story is making the rounds. We got to Quartzsite yesterday afternoon . My first time boondocking in Quartzsite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. ..forgot to sign my name. Hee hee. . Elva Shannon

      Delete
    2. Poor Clemson! He has no idea he is so popular for something like that! :) Don't feel sorry for him, he couldn't be loved more!!
      Welcome to Quartzsite, sorry we're not there but it is time for us to head home. :( Enjoy the Q!

      Delete