Thursday, February 8, 2018

Missing the Sunrise, Time to Turn the Wheels, New Park, Fun Afternoon, Poor WifFi


On Thursday, Feb. 8th we were both up before 7:30. I should have but didn’t get out for a walk. I knew I would have time before we had to move. Today was our day to finish the packing up and drive 25 minutes down the road to Fortuna de Oro. It is a Cal*Am Resort park and we have a coupon for 3 nights free that we received from the Big Tent show in Quartzsite.
Here is the first clue that we must leave
Our neighbours were blocking my sunrise
We had our tea and coffee, read blog posts before having a bite to eat and washing up. There was no rush as check ins are not usually accepted before 11 am. It was just after 10:30 that we said goodbye to Bill, next door, and pulled out. Following the gps so we could catch N. Frontage Rd. easily, we arrived at the 2 Cal*Am parks, side by side.

The park office
We passed Sundance Resort first and then did a bit of a dance in and around Fortuna trying to figure out where exactly to check in. Eventually, after a wee tour, we had some assistance from Ken, a workcamper. He recommended parking across Frontage Rd and walking back in to the office for registering. We were holding hands and he said ‘no holding hands in this park’……so we hugged instead. 😊

The pool closest to our site
Immediately, we relaxed and checked in. She had us situated at Site 1100 something, which is in the southeast end. There are two pools here and I’m hoping to be near at least ONE of them. I knew the pools were nowhere close to this area. I’d done some research and listened to recommendations.

there are quite a few units for sale
While we were driving around looking for the correct entrance (there are 3), I saw a site not far from the office, near the small pool and with trees behind. I asked about it and that is where we are. The sites are very big, with gravel to park on and cement patios. After we unhooked, our neighbor to the north came out of her park model, walked over and extended her hand. That was very nice. Elaine is from B.C.

It is not at all like a park
It is like a community or village
Bill did the outside set up, electric, water and chairs while I opened things up inside. We are only here for 4 nights, paying for 1 because we’d rather do that than move, so a lot of things don’t get pulled out for display. We were all set up and able to relax by 12:30.

We have to set the satellite dish up for Sunday night but first will find out if Madame Secretary is actually on. I’m sure it will be now that all the super bowl stuff (I didn’t say crap) is over with. I was surprised to find that I connected to their free Wifi so other than banking, we’ll try and save our own hotspot. Using it could be a different story. Sometimes, you get it offered but like at Yuma Lakes you couldn’t get it even at the clubhouse.
My bulging toasted tomato
More veggies than bread
I was hungry so suggested toasted tomato sandwiches for lunch. Bill agreed. Mine is never just tomato but lettuce, mayo and pickles if I have them. Bill adds cheese to his. They were tasty and hit the spot. I read through the many pamphlets and flyers they give you when you check in. Information on the park, events, wifi and rules. We sort, discard the stuff that doesn’t pertain and keep others.

this is either lawn bowling or bocce ball
It is 78F just after 1 pm and the morning breeze we had has dissipated. Our site faces the south so we may be using our a/c a few times. Life is good. Soon after setting up, I put both awnings out. Even though the sun is too low to give us shade, at least it will keep the Suite cooler inside. It makes a huge difference not having it beating on the windows.
16 well waxed shuffleboards
Bill was desperately trying to finish his book, Tough Customer, by Sandra Brown. I’d read it in November so don’t recall it by title but he was enjoying it. This is just day two, I think, since he started. That is awesome for him to finish a book so quickly. 

When we arrive at a new park, I like to get out and explore. If not the same day, then the next morning. So, I took a walk, leaving him to his book, and checked out the pool near us first. It looked very welcoming, lots of seating area around the edge and then a whole area of tables, chairs and umbrellas off to the side. Very well thought out.

It is very pretty over by the complex and the restaurant
There were two or three double loungers with nice thick cushions too and a couple of nice showers strategically placed. I kept on walking. Further down I began noticing quite a few park models and rv’s for sale, either by the park or by owner. Each had their own ‘cheat’ sheet so I picked up a few because I was curious.

From there, I walked to the Fortuna de Oro Sports Complex in the park. I was heading to the North end. There were 16 shuffleboards in a fenced in area and at least 5 of them were being used for a league play. I pulled up a chair and watched for a while. First time in my life I’ve ever seen the game being played.

Behind me, there were at least 5 pickle ball courts with every one in use. My goodness, people are really getting into this! Beside the shuffleboard, on the other side of the fence, were 5 or 6 horseshoe pits as well. Only one fellow was practicing today. I pulled my chair over to sit beside Bob, waiting for his wife. I asked so he explained about the game of Shuffleboard, the points and he then advised when would be the best time to come and practice.
And we are still in the mountains
Notice the white blimp again from the Yuma Proving Grounds?
I walked even further and found the BIG pool area next to the 9-hole golf course. Yes, did I tell you this place was POSH? I’m surprised they let us in, oh yes, the Mobile Suite was our entry ticket. Ha ha. The pool is certainly large but that just means more people use it. I knew instantly that I had no desire to swim there. No thank you, too busy.

The congested big pool
This is just my personal opinion and it in no way is meant to put the park or the pool down. When I see at least 35+ people in a pool area, I'm not keen. I’m a small-group kind of gal. At least now I know what that pool is like and don't need to go back.

Interesting totem pole cactus

this one looks like it is from the Ocotillo family
but.......not sure
I walked back to the Suite and by the time I got back, my neck under my hair was showing some signs of me ‘glowing’. Okay sweating! My goodness, it wasn’t even a strenuous walk. The temperature was around 85F and that would explain it. I talked to Bill and he indicated he was closer but still not finished his book. He changed and we took our books up to the small pool. I can see it from our site and I can almost see how busy it is from here.

those large orange flags indicate the pool and how close it is to us

We could have parked in one of these alternate pull-throughs
but they are parked on tarmac
Hot!
We snagged (easily) one of the reclining lounge, cushioned chairs, laid our towels down and lowered ourselves into the warm water. There were probably 5 others in there but we hung around at the 5’ area and soon enough, as always happens, began a conversation with someone. Someone from Alberta.
Nice comfy lounger for the Richards'
Michael, you will find this fun. She went to school in Cold Lake! Now they live just south of Edmonton. They’ve bought a park model here, 4 years ago, after coming here in a 5th wheel for 3 years before that. They love this park and hope to keep coming for a long time. Apparently, her uncle still lives in Cold Lake. How many times have we uttered the words, ‘small world’?
the showers are on the back wall
see them in black?
We hopped into the hot tub for a few minutes and then I showered off and stretched out on the lounger with my book. That sun was so warm, excuse me, hot. Beautiful and it was 4:30 so later in the day than we are usually swimming. We dried off a bit and Bill managed to finish his book. We headed back to the Suite and sat outside for a bit longer together.
Bill coming out to join me after one more swim across the pool
My book was so good, it was hard to put it down. Bill lit the barbecue around 5:30 and put the cut-up potato on first. We love them wrapped in foil with butter, they just need extra time. I made up a salad for myself while Bill grilled the last 6 Italian meatballs from the freezer. He wanted corn, his favourite, so I cooked that in the microwave. Supper was ready at 6 and we were ready for it.


While we were doing up dishes at 6:30 I noticed the thermometer outdoors still read 80F. We sat outside for a bit longer until Bill had to turn the outside light on. It meant covering up my arms and legs but it was so nice to sit outside and read. It had dropped to 73F which sounds silly but our body temps really feel the drop. We are not in the quietest area of the park, being close to the interstate, but next door the neighbor has had a noisy a/c running all day, so I don’t notice it. Just white noise to me.

Just serving up supper and I noticed I would catch the sunset
YAY!
 I came in at 7 to finish my post and download my pictures. Sometimes I don’t remember what all I took pictures of, so it is like Christmas when I open them. I hope you enjoy them. This has been a great moving day into a wonderful park. I hope you had a good one too.

Goodnight from our new spot at Fortuna de Oro

Thank you for stopping by. I love reading your comments.

20 comments:

  1. Glad you got to check it out there, not our kind place but we were there 2 years even with out 17 year old coach they let us in, Too big and too fancy but a nice place to hang out for a couple of days free. Keep havinging too much fun in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice park, more like a village though. More things than what we want to get into for sure. If we were here for a season, we'd appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. well, this was quite the read tonight. hope you have a good sleep and the noise is dull for sleeping. enjoy the temperatures and sweet dreams. Oh, and enjoy your book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the read, Lori. ;)
      I slept well, it was a dullness that blended with my dreams.
      The book is almost done!

      Delete
  3. Swanky!! I would be like a fish out of water there. Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can do swanky for 4 nights, why not? ha ha The pool is the best part.

      Delete
  4. 35+ people in a pool? That is like when it it rains fire......

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay. It's a 'dry heat' as they say.
    I'm sure you will run into a lot of us Albertans in the yuma area. Behind Arizona and California I'm sure it's the most seen license plate there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many many Alberta and British Columbia plates for sure. I saw one Ontario plate, must see where they're from.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a safe trip, it was so far for you to travel. Hahaha. Those are the best travel days, aren't they?

    The new place looks pretty posh for sure. Enjoy your time there.

    Dinner looked fabulous once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have a good 4 days here, it's free so why not.
      I like walking these places. Different scenery and nice people everywhere.

      Delete
  7. You can't beat free! Looks like a great place. I keep wondering if Dolly would come out in the winters if I bought something in a place like that.

    Sorry my Super Bowl interfered with your Madame Secretary.😂

    Wonder what pickle ball is? I know what shuffle board is.

    You and Bill have a wonderful time in your fancy digs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly might like the small town feel and she could settle in here.
      You're forgiven about the Super Bowl. We've never been sports fans. :S
      Pickle ball is a cross between Tennis, badminton and ping pong with a low net. Can be played indoors or outside. Paddles are like ping pong paddles.
      We will try hard to enjoy the digs. ;0

      Delete
  8. Well it does look like a posh place. Thank you for the tour.
    A couple we met at the second Bloggerfest, RV Khronicles of Kevelyn, just posted they bought a Park Model their.
    That Totem Pole Cactus is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it too, for 3 nights Free, why not?
      See you soon!

      Delete
  9. Yeah, that looked pretty fancy to me too. Don't think I'd ever stay there, but you got 3 nights free with all the services. Can't beat that!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cans see enjoying it for a few days definitely and free, why not. Loved all the pictures, you do an aweseome job. The little pool looks more my speed. Are you going to try pickle ball? It's seems to be a big thing at La Paz county park in Parker too. Your lunch and dinner looked really good. Enjoy the heat!

    ReplyDelete