Monday, February 18, 2019

Family Day and President’s Day – Just another Day to Us


On Monday, Feb. 18th we know this as a special day. Back home in Ontario, our friends and family are celebrating a statutory holiday. Not everyone gets the day off though, many businesses are open. 7 provinces of Canada observe it on the 3rd Monday of February, 3 celebrate it but call it other names. Lastly, 3 Canadian territories do not observe Family Day in any form. I was curious about the day and so had to do some research. Now you all know.
And Bill's daughter and her family enjoyed the day back home
And here is a fun picture of my immediate family
Really, my children do love each other despite the charade
Here in the U.S., they are celebrating President’s Day today. Department, grocery and other stores are open but banks and postal services are not. Americans like to shop so I’m sure the stores are quite busy. 

Happy President's Day to our American friends
We were up at 7 and I skipped my morning walk, instead planning to go to Fry’s with Rob and Pat and Bill for some quick shopping. For us, it was mostly dairy products we were running low of and it didn’t take long to pick those up.

At the check-out, we got in the line with a trainee. How nice when her teacher offered us a free apron! I guess that was to accommodate for any errors or possible delays because of the young gal at the register. There were none of either but we gratefully accepted the bright red one of Spain. Aprons are handy, especially when you are a messy cook. I can be, for certain!

Breakfast quesadilla - one of my favourites
Back home, I made us a coffee and fried an egg, bacon, onion, cheese and mushroom omelette. When Bill finished dumping our black tank (first time since leaving the Q) we had a nice breakfast sandwich on toast and tortilla. We cleaned up dishes and relaxed. It has been noted that we are expecting a few chillier days this week. Bill noticed his second oldest daughter was on line so we did a Facetime with Charlotte and the girls for a bit.

A free apron from Fry's, nothing to scoff at
We are doing pretty good again with our wifi hotspot so I googled more IP recipes on line and did a brief chit chat with my grandson, Taylor on Messenger. Unfortunately, he was working so it was short. The sun is so nice, even at only 61F, so I went outside with my yarn and worked away on that project. It took some adjusting until I finally found a spot with the least wind and the most sun. Why the clouds decide to appear right at that moment, is beyond me.

I sat crocheting for as long as I could and then when I got chilled and needed a new ball of wool I moved inside. Bill and I had a cup of tea, he had an apple and I had some Christmas cake with cream cheese. I know, not the best snack but I enjoyed it all the same. Clemson wanted to go for a walk so I took him out around the block as he took care of business. On the way back from the dumpsters, I noticed a plastic patio table that someone had left there. It looked good to me so I took Clemson home and walked back to check it out.

Free table, just for a short time
There was no damage to it at all and as much as I knew we couldn’t keep it, I could use it over the next couple of weeks while we’re here. I carried it home and after finishing my tea inside, I washed it off. Pat and I now have a rock painting table without Rob having to get his table out. Whether we use it or not, it is here for the duration. When we’re ready to leave, I’ll return it.

A text from Ken and Kim asked if we were around for Happy Hour if they dropped in. They were in Yuma and thought they’d stop in. That is wonderful! We are always happy to see them. The sun was on and off playing tag with the white fluffy clouds and the wind wasn’t letting up much.  A 6 mph wind doesn’t sound like much but mixed with the clouds, it can feel mighty chilly. We moved our chairs to the southwest corner of the Suite between our place and Rob and Pat’s.

The sky was pretty tonight
We weren’t exactly sheltered from the wind but after they arrived, the weather was just something we dealt with. The laughter ensued as we talked of travel stories and cooking stories. I’m so grateful for Kim and Ken with their expertise on Instant Pots and have to credit them for my worthwhile ‘investment’. Pat is listening with an interested ear as well as I believe there is an IP in her future too.


At 4:30 we said goodbye to Kim and Ken with hugs but also promises to see them again before we all part ways in March. Inside, we planned to have farmer sausage and salad for supper. I will heat up the remaining potatoes and carrots so they will be cleaned up. Clemson needed another walk so off we went around the block again. Bill started the grill around 5:30 and we were eating 20 minutes later.


This has been a good day and our fridge is stocked with dairy once more. Enough to get us through until the end of the month at least. Our evening will be spent in front of the tv watching our favourite Monday night shows together.  I hope you had a good day as well.

And to all a Good night!

Thank you for stopping around today.

11 comments:

  1. I think President's day is just an excuse for us U.S. citizens to go shopping. It's probably a plot by the business owners!! I think I like Family Day better!!! Nice apron!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fun day and a nice visit wth Kim and Ken, nice that they stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely family pictures! I love the term "family day". Nice table, is it the kind where the legs come off? Maybe you could take it along then? How sweet was that with the apron!? I thought on this trip, "I wish I would have brought an apron" as I am a messy cook too..haha. Nice that Kim and Ken stopped by for Happy Hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old pics too and went through a lot of fun ones before choosing what I did. :) It was a nice trip down memory lane.
      The apron was a surprise. Always good to see Ken and Kim whenever they can stop in.

      Delete
  4. We enjoyed family day with my daughter and her fiance by taking a long walk on the frozen Lake that they are lucky to live on. It was sunny but the North winds meant we had to use our scarves to cover our faces. Great exercise and company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great for you! The sun makes a big difference here as well as there back home.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great family photos. Dinner looked wonderful too. Nothing like a few left overs to fill in a plate. I think they usually taste better the second day anyway, unless I didn't like them on the first pass, then they never taste better no matter how many days later it is. Haha. Glad you enjoyed your company, always nice to visit with friends. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete