Thursday, February 7, 2019

Stocking Up Because We Have Room, Sunny Cooler Day, My Buddy is Better


I stirred around 5:30 on Wed. Feb. 6th but rolled over to my other side in the hopes that I’d drop back off. I must have because it was 6:30 when next I moved. I slipped out of bed and Bill followed. I skipped my walk today because we wanted to head into town as early as possible to get our grocery shopping done. The fridge is looking bare so it means a thorough stock up.

Our route into Fry's

Nice and close, just a hop, skip and a jump

And then on our way to Sam's Club
I had to be quick to capture a picture of this field of
fresh cauliflower
After our coffee and tea, we left shortly after 8 and drove the short distance to Fry’s. Bill surprised me by putting an Instant Pot in the cart when I was off in another direction. Happy Valentine’s Day, dear, he said. šŸ˜Š It was already in our head to pick one up and why not get it now, while we are on the road and in the position to enjoy quick meals? I was tickled that he had calculated it into our February budget. The price was great at Fry’s and we got an extra $8 Sr. discount too!

Yay! Let's get cooking!
We had already decided to return home to unload those groceries so we did that. Clemson hadn’t moved from his warm snuggle spot on the bed with my sweater. Without creating a disturbance, I put groceries away and then we crept out again and went to Sam’s and Pet Smart. With all things crossed off our list, we headed home for the day. We knew Rob and Pat had errands to run of their own, not all in the same places so we’d decided to each drive.

Ain't she pretty?
Well, minus the blurred focus
Sorry, I was excited!
We were back from both runs by 11 and I found room for everything in our spacious Maytag and cupboards. With the exception of some dairy products and salad greens, we should (‘should’) be good for most of the month. Back home, I made us each a coffee and bacon and eggs. Because our back window was such a mess with dirt and dust, Bill took Rob’s example from yesterday and did a quick wipe down. The water here is not good but until he’s in the mood for a good Windex clean, that will do.

Just a quick job this morning
The window was steaming from the sun's heat 

But it is an improvement and we can see out of it again
Time to relax! The air is cool today, only 60F at noon hour but the sky has no visible clouds. It is not a pool day but I’m sure I can squeeze a bike ride in and maybe some puzzle works. It will be interesting to see if there are any other ones started. I needed to stop at the Office to pick up that events booklet that I mentioned yesterday. Bill sat to relax with his book and I slipped on a jacket and went for a ride.
Our little fur ball sleeps much of the day
When I arrived at the office, it was 12:15 and they close over the lunch hour(good grief!) so I rode back to the Clubhouse. Robin, the lady I met a couple of days ago, was there and I love the challenging puzzles she chooses. The one on the other table was of the U.S. states in a cartoon and looked too easy. Maybe it wasn’t, but she and I were of the same mind and worked away together on this one. When she left an hour later to go to the workout room, Irene joined me and we steadily plugged in pieces.

Nice to see we are supporting local economy
by buying the salad kits too
I was surprised shortly after 2 when Pat walked in! That is the first she has been up to the Clubhouse, or anywhere in the park, really. She just hasn’t been well since we all arrived on Friday. Finally, she is on the mend and should soon be 100%. Yay! She sat with us for maybe half hour and then we returned together. We all know what the 5 days of sitting around while sick can do to our energy and hers was zapped. I walked my bike back beside her so she had some support of she needed it.

And while I sit on the couch crocheting
the sun says Good bye
Bill was reading and after walking the cardboard over to the bins, I joined him in my recliner. My reading material was all about my new Instant Pot. I hope to learn quickly and Kim’s help at Q. was valuable. The booklet that came with it had a lot of good tips and warnings but the recipe booklet is like any other of its kind. Not a lot of things in there that I would ever make. Why can’t they be simple? Just tell me how to cook chicken thighs! Or a roast without all the fancy directions.

Anyway, I’ll figure it all out with the help of Mr. Google (and my friends). Pat was excited for me when I told her of my gift and came over to check it out. I’m hoping that eventually, she also buys one either here or at home so we can bounce recipe ideas off each other. When she left, I made us each a cup of tea. I have the inklings of a scratchy throat and a wee headache so this morning I gargled salt water and now just took a couple of XS Advil. My turn for a Vick’s foot rub!

When Bill cooks outside, Clemson stands
at the door and waits
What a quiet world it has to be for him
he used to listen to the sounds outside
now, he listens with patience for Daddy to walk up the stairs
So, I sat and did some crocheting for a while. Bill continued to read and after a couple of ‘outs’ for Clemson in the chilly wind, we started supper. Bill lit Weber and I prepared the salad which was very difficult. It meant opening a bag and then opening small packets of cheese, croutons, spice and dressing. I really needed my wits about me! šŸ˜Š Of course, I’m kidding but these pre-made salad kits sure make life easy. I also find we waste much less food.

Supper was delicious and good for us too!
It was a good meal and after dishes, I Googled Italian sausage in the Instant Pot. Hmm, next time, I’ll try that! There are a lot of recipes on line that are much more sensible than in the booklet. I caught up on my blog as I finished the bottle of wine that has been open in the fridge for a while. Only one glass, sorry dear. The rest of this evening was spent relaxing with our own hobbies. The air outside has cooled off to 55F which now that our bodies have become accustomed to Yuma’s weather, feels quite chilly. Silly, huh?

I polished off this wine today so we'll need
to visit the drive through Discount Liquor store soon
I hope you have enjoyed your day. We did and are now outfitted for a few weeks of proper meals. Thank you for stopping by!

14 comments:

  1. Nice to get those things taken care if , hope you enjoy your insta pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to get out yesterday and enjoy the fresh air and get some errands done . We both had a busy day for sure yesterday . It looks like a beautiful park and hoping to get around to see more of it in the next day or two . Thanks for walking back with me . I did feel a little bit wobbly . I’m so very happy for you my buddy that you got an Insta pot I’m sure you’re going to love it . Looking forward to learning it together . Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to see you are able to comment again and even greater to see you out and about again. We'll take it slow for a few days.
      Between the two of us, we'll figure it out with Kim's preemptive help. :)

      Delete
  3. A wonderful day all around. Sun, your buddy is better, clean window, Insta Pot. It just doesn't get much better. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A day well spent.
    Will be glad when we start getting warmer temps with less wind.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the Sunshine.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, the sun is so nice, we can't complain. We just change activities when necessary. :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhh.... good job Bill.... We all know that Patsy was excited about the potential of a new mode of cookin'. I love it when Ken surprises me with things like that (something just showing up in the grocery cart - L0L)... No need to wrap (and no chance of "forgetting" Valentine's Day.) Take care you two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yup good on Bill. This is a gift that will keep on giving, ONE appliance that he is allowed to buy me. :) No vacuums please!! I've warned him that there may be a few flopped meals in this process!

      Delete
  6. You will really enjoy using your Instant Pot. I use mine quite often and I am constantly making yogurt in mine. I like mine really thick and I can control the consistency in the pot. If you are a FB fan there is an Instant Pot FB group you can join. Lots of recipes, help and hints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth, looking forward to learning more and trying different things. I will rely on FB and other friends and their tips. Thank you, I will search for a group on FB, Kim gave us a few good suggestions.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your new Instant Pot. Not sure if you know but although made in China it is a Canadian invention from Ottawa. I make Beef Stew in mine. Nothing could be simpler. Add stewing beef, a couple of onions, cut up a Rutabaga, a cup of red wine, a package of brown gravy mix, some carrots and press "Stew". I bet your next appliance will be a sous-vide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new Instant Pot, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

    ReplyDelete