Thursday, May 28, 2020

A Change of Pace for Both of Us, Rain Cuts the Day Short


The Ridge
On Thursday, May 28th Bill was up at 6, washed and ready to go to work. Yup. You read that right. Not at CanAm but with our friend, Mike, who owns a construction business. He offered work to Bill last summer if he wanted it so when he said he could use him, Bill jumped at it. It won’t be anything that he can’t handle easily, Mike knows his limits and if he doesn’t, Bill does. 😊

This is only part of what Bill found in the a/c units on the roof
 I first had a tea when I got up around 6:30 and we puttered around on our laptops. There are some ‘things’ he’s dealing with on the new laptop. Nothing wrong, just installation ‘snags’ so he is still working on his old one right now. It felt different having my sweetie go out the door with his lunch cooler, off for a day of work. It has been a while. I wasn’t sad to see him go as it wasn’t overnight and I’m sure he’d say the same thing if I disappeared for a day. 

Bill, on his way to Walkerton
We all like time to ourselves and even though we each have our own ‘space’ up here on the Ridge, we, like a lot of you, have been together 24/7 for a long time. I’m not just talking about today’s Covid situation. Anyway, I’m sure he is happy for the break too and the chance to help Mike. After he left, I had yesterday’s blog post to write. I was too tired last night and it wasn’t even started. That done this morning, I went for my walk.
A paper wasp nest was in the vent too
The sun wasn’t out but it was a lovely 17C/63F with a bit of a refreshing breeze. I had capris and only a skinny strapped top on so slipped on one of my previous Walk for A. t-shirts and headed out. It was perfect and I pretended I was practicing for Sunday. When I returned, I primed our hand water pump and filled the two watering cans. I know they were calling for a 70% chance of rain around noon but just in case, I watered my vegetables up on the hill and all the newly planted flowers.

After Bill left, I went for my walk
I wanted to do some trimming in the corral, up on the hill where I’m trying to grow ‘good’ things that spread and get rid of the weeds. Unfortunately, I wasn’t holding my head right or something as I couldn’t get it started. All things for a reason so I put it away after 4 or 5 tries and came inside. The temperature was quite nice but there was definitely some humidity hanging over us. Online I did some ‘canvassing’ on my Walk for Alzheimer’s site, trying to get a few more sponsors. It never hurts to ask.

Not a clear picture but this trillium has a tinge of blue/purple in it
Around 10, I had some breakfast
With that done, I set to work sorting the 5 large packages of meat into individual meal freezer packs. Then I emptied the freezer, washed it out and reloaded. I’m surprised that $93 of meat went in there along with all the other stuff! Just the hot dog and hamburg bun packs had to be removed. Oh, and my apple pie. That’s pretty good! I love our big freezer. The buns can go in the fridge. I got big sausages out for supper and some little ones to thaw for breakfasts on the weekend.

This is a fair bit of meat for an rv freezer
but it all fit
I wasn’t done yet. I did the dishes from yesterday’s morning coffee and last night’s plates from supper. We were truly lazy when we got home. Lastly, the floors needed cleaning so I got the vacuum out. 

Someone was very happy with the new oranges
With the windows open there is a nice breeze coming in. The gentle rain started after lunch around 1:30 and didn’t let up for about an hour. This would likely put a ‘damper’ (literally) on Bill’s work today. Sure enough, at 1:50 he called and they were done for the day. An outside job depends on the weather.


A little trick with Picasa photos
 Outside, earlier, I swept the patio mat off when I noticed that Bill’s morning trip up the ladder to the roof (again) produced the makings of a couple more nests in the a/c units. We used to have covers on our Jayco, I think, so will have to pick some up before next spring. For now, we’ll just keep an eye until nesting season is over. He thinks they are robins as that is 'who' nested and had babies up there a previous year.

Yum, this is delicious
After he flew away, it was half done
I also had to replenish the trees with clementine oranges for the Oriole’s. I don’t want them to leave. Unfortunately, Costco in London doesn’t carry any bird seed other than just sunflower seeds and I don’t just want that in my feeders. I like the mixed seed so will have to go in to town to pick some up along with Zero Coke that Costco (stupidly) doesn’t carry. Grrr! Why are their stores so different? Guelph carried both of these things.

Often during the day this red winged blackbird sits out our back window
and sings
When he chirps, his wings lift but when I was watching, he wouldn't do it
So, Bill arrived home with some pretty good news. He had a good morning working with Mike and 2 other workers but that isn’t what I mean. Our Black Beauty may be ready sooner than later and that is great!  Let’s not count our chickens before they hatch though. I had some information to try and help get the problem with his laptop up and running and eventually, after trying a few things, he did. Not because of what I found out (but don’t tell him that!), it's good for him to ‘need’ me. 😊

The rain sure greens things up, doesn't it?


The rains came and went throughout the day. Nice steady rains. Plants and grass are smiling. Around 5:30 Bill went up for a shower. When he finished, he asked if I could trim his hair. Of course! So, in the bathroom (tile floor) I earned some brownie points and I’m happy to say that it looks pretty good and the bottom line is that he is happy (and ‘handsomer’). 

I made him pose for me
I like the one hair standing up on his head looks thick
Isn't that cool?

Bill's hair is so thick at the back and I thinned it quite a bit
After brushing him (and myself) off and sweeping the floor up, I started sauteeing the mild Italian sausages in Madame IP. It was already 6 pm.

That's a lot of hair!
I had some carrots that I put in the inner pot for cooking and cooked some corn in the microwave for Bill. I’ve been wearing my new Fitbit all day after setting it up last night. That was easy! I’ve also accepted a couple of challenges on the Fitbit app to encourage me (and others) to put the push on for walking. Whether it is for weight loss or just to keep moving, I don’t care. I enjoy it.

I stationed a few of my painted rocks around the flower gardens


I should call this Chippy's garden for obvious reasons
These primrose plants have a lot of growing to do
Bill began transferring files from his old HP to his new one and starting with pictures, it took quite a bit of time. All in the joy of a new device. 



Supper was ready before 7 and although it doesn’t look like much on my plate, it was just enough considering we had some apple crumble pie for dessert. I warmed it up and added cheese. The topping that I used appears to be the culprit for making it drier than the last time I made it. It still tasted good though!

These cows are standing in the rain instead of lying down
Maybe they only lie down to predict rainfall?
(one of Daddy's 'wives' tales)
 We cleared up those dishes too and by then, 7:15, the sun made an appearance for the first time all day. It is looking like a beautiful evening. This was a different but good day. Another day with quite a few things taken care of. I hope yours was too.

Another sighting of the little ducks
They are fun to watch
Good night!
Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are always welcome!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice day. You got stuff done and so did Bill. Maybe you can make some cash on the side as a Barber at the mat!!! Babies are getting big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I'll leave the barbering skills to the pros. I was so nervous! :)

      Delete
  2. You certainly had two nice days. Yesterday getting errands done and visiting with family and friends certainly sounds like a wonderful day. London with it tree lined streets looks lovely. What a lovely sunset you had. Tonight's last picture with the little ducks how cute. Bill is looking good; nice job on the hair trim. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, thank you! Aren't those little ducks sweet? You should see them when they play, it is like they are moving in fast motion.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure the rain is welcome. We had a bit of storm on Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday morning my hostas were up a good two inches!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so neat to watch the hostas pop up as quick as they do! :)

      Delete
  4. I know I donated last year..don't remember how..is there a link? You did a great job on Bill! He does have a lot of hair. Your breakfast does look awesome! Your plants are greening up nicely! It is beautiful and green on the Ridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. I will send you the link. :)
      Bill has a lot of hair on the back, not on top. He teases that he'd like to move some. haha

      Delete