Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Getting Chores Done, Dessert Drop Off, Announcement


The Ridge
On Wednesday, May 6th when I woke up at 6:45 I had already determined that I wasn’t going to sleep in today. Bill sounded like he could still sleep, and let’s face it, I probably could have dropped off again too. Bad habit in my books, we’re getting to used to doing that. So, by 7:10 I was up and so was Bill.

Ptooties parked at the Mat all by herself
He was downstairs opening blinds while I got dressed and pulled the dirty clothes bag out of the closet. I sorted the laundry into 3 loads as he had his shower. It was another sunny day on the horizon and low winds again but I just couldn’t push myself to bundle up against the 2C/36F and go for my walk. Maybe later. Famous last words, eh? I had my tea with cream and coconut oil and Bill had his coffee with Splenda and cream.

So, Mom's income tax got done in less than a week
and she gets $$ back again
After I got washed up, Bill loaded Ptooties and we drove into Durham around 9:30. We were the only ones at the Mat and I fought the urge to sweep the floors this morning. Jamie probably wasn’t in last night. We sat inside until 9:50 and then I walked uptown to Tim Summer’s office. Just as I arrived for my 10 o’clock appointment, Tim was unlocking the door letting the previous client out and me in. Everyone is doing business differently. He joked that he didn’t mind it but was wearing his door key out!

Looking out across the pond to North Line
there are some very calm geese floating, waiting
It didn’t take long to discuss Mom’s I.T. and I signed for her refund and paid Tim his cost. Unfortunately, one of Mom’s investments, of which I am a joint owner for obvious reasons, has my name above hers which coincidentally shows my Social Insurance Number instead of hers. Tim couldn’t use that one on Mom’s return. Darn! That means my I.T. is incorrect and I’ve already received my refund. Tim said I could do an adjustment or just let it take its course. I will phone B.of M. though to fix it for the future.

I walked back to the Mat just in time to help Bill remove the damp clothes and then we drove to Rob and Pat’s for a drop off. I’d seen Rob at the gas station as I was walking so was surprised that he was home already. When I made our apple crisp, I made an extra pan for them. They’ve been holding my frozen apples so this is a ‘thank you’. I hope their batch tastes as good as ours did last night. They were made in individual batches. 😊

Bill helps me bring the clothes in
Oh, how I love the smell of outdoor drying
When we left their place, I mentioned Foodland and about the weekly sales ending today. We wanted to pick up some of their pork ribs, bread and Lay’s potato chips so Bill drove me there. I splurged on some diet Sprite since I was out of any soda pop to drink. It wasn’t on sale and it was a ridiculous price. Of course, while in the store,I found a couple of other things and was out loading things in Ptooties quickly enough. Bill had topped her up with fuel while I shopped.

Back home, I put the groceries away and then hung the clothes. The wind has picked up and was cool on my neck every once in a while. The fight when it’s windy is to keep my umbrella clothes line in one place. Bill needs to secure it for me in the ground, to stop the incessant leaning, and really, he could stop it from twirling for all I care. Without the winds up here, it wouldn’t be such a problem for me.

Supper was quite yummy


When I finished with the clothes, I filled the bird feeders. In their anxiety to try and eat the small seed in the finch feeder the grackles and r.w. blackbirds had knocked it to the ground. So much for all that seed separating! The top came off and it was all over the ground. Grrr! The air turned blue as I ran out in my slippers to grab it up. I guess I got the message. “Feed us!” So now their feeders are full again. Bill mentioned wanting to get a feeder for down by the Hangar as he gets a lot of birds in the trees there so I took one down for him.

Down by Bill's Hangar, you can see the yellow bird feeder in the tree
It was lunch time so I made bacon and eggs and after dishes, he went back down. I'm not sure why but I felt kapooped so all thoughts of a walk AND all thoughts of raking the stones from the vegetable garden plot went out the window. It was warm inside, even though the heat was off, so I sat with my laptop to see if I could get some energy back. We’ve also turned the inverter on to get the benefit of the solar rays today.

Plantings on the corral hill
You can see how steep and rocky it is
I tried to stretch out and relax my eyes but since I wasn’t tired enough to drop off to sleep I picked up my book, The Fallen by David Baldacci. I hadn’t started it yet but my goodness what I thought would be one chapter turned into 6! I couldn’t put it down let alone encourage sleep. Ha ha. At one point I did close the book and curled up in the blanket for about 10 minutes. Bill came up around 2 and we turned NCIS on. We both knew that would help him have his snooze at least!

At 3, we were both awake and I made us something hot to drink. We agreed to go out and get the clothes off the line when our drinks were done. It was nice to have Bill’s help bringing the clothes in. I don’t usually mind doing it alone but with the cool winds gusting to 15 mph the clothes line turns a lot. I appreciated that he offered. We folded as we went except for the small things and we placed them in the basket to be put away. Nice to have the job done.


For supper, Bill cooked French fries in our Fry Daddy and I fried halibut fillets on the stove. Both turned out very well. After dishes, I went for a walk down the lane to check and see if we had any mail. It was the best walk of the spring so far. Ask me why. Goslings!!! I saw two families in the west pond and could hardly contain my excitement.

There will be better pictures to follow in the coming days
Unfortunately, the tall grasses were blowing, making it difficult for me to capture good pictures but I think you get it. There are seven (SEVEN!) babies in one family swimming so close to Mama that I could hardly see them all. The other family, with maybe only 3 babies disappeared before I got a good look. I snapped as many photos as I could and hurried back up the hill to tell ‘Grandpa Bill’. 😊 We’ve been waiting!

Look at them all cuddled in beside Mama
We watched a bit of Highway Rescue:401 and then at 8 Bill turned on Mama Mia! and handed me the controls. He went upstairs to watch something of his own choosing. I love the movie with Meryl Streep so didn’t have to change the channel. I finished my blog post and settled back to watch it. This was a good day with some chores, some relaxing and some excitement all rolled into one.

Good night!
Thank you for your visit!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good day getting the chores you wanted completed.
    Nice to see the Geese have their families out for training.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The geese waste no time teaching their young. I love watching their growth.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to some close up pictures of the new "babies". Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Grandma and Grandpa :) They are too cute! The Ridge is turning green and oh so pretty. I bet Rob and Pat enjoyed their treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Grandkids we actually can see day to day. :)
      The grass is greening up nicely now we just need the weather to change and stay! Rob and Pat texted that they loved the dessert. :D

      Delete
  4. Finally you have goslings. Waiting patiently for a better picture of the families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any baby geese in our area so it was nice to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always exciting to see new life!!! Looks like you folks are keeping busy and enjoying your summer spot as much as possible with the wild weather we've been having. I'll bet Rob & Pat enjoyed the dessert a great deal!!! Very thoughtful of you to do such a nice thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that your air fryer that you use for your fries? Fresh or frozen fries?

    ReplyDelete