Saturday, May 30, 2020

Who Turned the Heat Off? Black Beauty Back Where She Belongs

The Ridge

There just doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to our Spring weather this year. On Saturday, May 30th, we were up out of bed by 6:30 and it was a clear morning. We knew there was to be a drop in temperature. I should have gone for my walk right away because I missed the opportunity. Instead I had my tea first and by then, the dark clouds moved in and the misty rain began. We weren't expecting rain to dominate the day.

It looked like it would be a good day
We could hear pitter patter (not from rain) on the roof when we first opened our eyes. The robins are back? After his coffee, Bill went up to check it out. There were no signs of another nest so that is good news. 

Ptooties got a fuel top up
 We drove Ptooties to Hanover and found Black Beauty sitting in the front lot of Heinz Auto Body – waiting for us. Wow! She looks good again! Bill went in to talk to Trevor and settle up while I snapped her picture and put the empty water bottle in the front seat.

there she is! all fixed up
Once I knew he was set up, I said goodbye and drove to Grant’s Independent grocers. I had a list, Zero Coke and bread (for Bill’s lunches) being the biggest priority. I found the things on my list but sadly, even though their pop products were on sale, they had no Diet Sprite, Diet 7-UP, Diet Mountain Dew on the shelf. Grrr. I’d hoped to restock my drink of choice too as Bill has had to resort to drinking some of it when we ran out of his Coke.

I stopped here for groceries. No line ups here
none at Dollarama and none at Giant Tiger
It felt very nice to be able to walk into stores again
From there, I stopped in their garden centre and got onions, lettuce and a pumpkin plant for my sweetie. At the other end of the mall, I popped into Dollarama for some tomato cages (none) and picked up greeting cards for the next 4 months instead. Giant Tiger was no help for my pop but I did get a broom for the outhouse and a seed bell for our tree. I thought about stopping at Wal-mart but when I saw the lineup, it wasn’t worth the stop.

After we got home, this is how the weather turned

Inside looking out, a wet foggy mess
Back in Durham, I went to Home Hardware, and placed my order for a toilet brush. That was one thing Jamie said I would need so it went on his account and I was quickly on my way home. I texted Bill and he was on his way home from the Acreage after getting a bladder of water. Our timing was perfect! Bill set the water pump up to transfer our fresh water and then we each had a coffee indoors.

Some lettuce and a pumpkin
The day is turning into a wet, cool (8C/48F) spring day. My plans of planting, trimming and Bill’s plans of cutting grass all went out the window. Inside day. After our lunch of bacon and eggs and dishes, I wrote some of my blog and then processed another donation from a sponsor. Thank you! You know who you are! 😊  I went out around 3:30 because the sun came out in all its glory. I wanted to accomplish something today too. With that in mind, I had planned only to go for a walk down the lane and possibly to the corner. 

The garden before grass cutting but after grass weeding
(if that makes sense)
I don't like it when the grass grows up in the middle of the plants
My bad for not using landscape screen way back when
That’s how it started and before I knew it, the walk done, I was pulling grass and weeds from my garden. No gloves, no decent shoes, no jacket. It was 2 hours later, Bill had cut the front lawn and was cutting in the corral.  

Bill was out front cutting 

The sun was drying things up for him

Looking good, dear!
I was up on the hill ‘saving’ my flowers. I started by clearing an area around each plant so I could bring the weed trimmer up without fear of clipping the wrong things. I’m not very adept at handling the machine, always afraid I'd trim the things I'm trying to grow.

Two hours on this hill and it doesn't look like I made much headway

But at least I know I got a good start at it
I looked at my watch as Bill was moving down to the back field. I couldn’t believe it was 5:30 already and yet that was just silly since I didn’t come out until mid-afternoon. I’d taken ground beef out of the freezer this morning to thaw but the ‘meat loaf’ plan fell through. Instead, I opted for spaghetti, salad and biscuits. I told Bill to continue cutting and I’d let him know when things were ready. It was close to 7:30 when we sat to eat.
As I ws washing my hands in the outdoor sink
This caught my eye

At first I didn't know what it was
Looks like a painted rock

But this little guy is a living breathing little 2" critter
sleeping in the sun

This tree frog never let me or my camera bother him at all
After dishes, he went back out and cut our patio area and put the mower away. I had turned Field of Dreams on and we watched that while eating and after. I haven’t seen the whole movie in such a long time that I enjoyed it very much. Teary-eyed at the end, thinking how nice it would be to have a bit more time with Daddy. I finished my blog post and once it was published, I sat to enjoy the evening with Bill. It was cooling down quickly and as I write this at 10:00, it is already down to 6C/43F.

Supper was good and there's enough for another night
I was torn about whether to cover my tomatoes and peppers tonight but when the sheets wouldn’t stay in place, decided that 4C/40F wasn’t freezing and I’d hope for the best. If I have to, in the morning, I’ll water them before the sun hits them. I wasn't the only one concerned, as Cathy texted me about hers too. After weeding in the garden, I'd taken the time to stretch out on the patio mat and do a couple of yoga exercises. I hope that will work for relieving the bending I did today.

Our little hummer came back today
This was a good day, the best part being that we got Black Beauty back. I hope you had a good day as well.

And the sun sets on another May day

Good night!

Thank you for stopping in!


  1. Great pictures of that tree frog, I have never seen one before.

  2. For a slow dismal day you both accomplished a lot of things.
    That's the first time I've seen a tree frog that close.
    A few more days before we start to warm up again.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the peace.

    It's about time.

  3. That frog is crazy cool ... his markings are sublime!!! Glad Black Beauty is repaired. She looks wonderful. I do wish I was here long enough to plant a garden ... even a little one would be fun. Your "lawn" looks amazing. Good thing you have a riding lawnmower. I bet you are itching to get back to the Mat.

    1. He's the cutest frog I've ever seen.:)
      I do enjoy my little garden.
      I am anxious to go to work again at the Mat.

  4. Wow..seems to be the year for different creatures to show up! The frog is beautiful, those colors are awesome! Glad he's at your house :) Ken said he didn't realize how much lawn you have up there, it's gorgeous and so green! BB looks awesome, probably makes you itch to get back on the road :) Dinner looks yummy! Beautiful sunset! Will be thinking of you today on your walk :)

    1. I was thinking the same thing about the creatures! :)
      We do have enough lawn, it is good to have the rider.
      We are happy to B.B. back.
      thank you for supporting me and my walk today!

  5. I've never seen a tree frog - the markings are amazing!

    Glad you had a good day despite the cool and wet start. Hopefully better weather will return soon.

    1. Nope, he is an unusual frog for sure!
      Warm weather will return.

  6. Wow, the yard looks great. Don't point out the weeds. From twenty feet you'll never see them!!
    The IP sure does a great job on eggs.
    BB never looked so good.
    Hope Bill takes it easy on the job. It takes a while to get the little-used muscles back in shape.
    Take care!

    1. Oh, and I love the painted rock/frog!!

    2. Thanks Dave, nice to hear from you!
      Good idea about the weeds.
      Bill needs to take it easy and knows his limits. (I hope!) :)