Saturday, May 9, 2020

Winter and a Short Posting


The Snowy Ridge
On Saturday, May 9th we were stunned when we woke up and looked out the window. In the back of our heads, after hearing what ‘could’ happen overnight, we expected some flurries. 


Apparently, we went to bed in February and woke up in December. One of my blog readers and a friend said it best. The one spring that we are ‘forced’ to return home early has to be the worst spring weather ever!

The Suite just isn't used to this!

I doubt he is too happy that there are no seeds left

Bill was downstairs first and snapped these pictures for me
 It sure makes me think that we will should off leaving for the southwest until early to mid-November so we can return home nearer to the end of April. I know we’d still be in this position now; however, we wouldn’t have already been in the throes of it for a month and a half! There was approximately 3” of snow covering the Ridge, Ptooties, Black Beauty and the Suite. Not a great way to start a day. The temperature was -3C/26F and there was no way I was going for a walk.

This was at 8 am
After our tea and coffee together, I sat with my book. Bill checked our propane tank and it was empty so he drove into Durham to get it filled. A little bird told me that he stopped at our buddies and cleaned their front deck off for them so Rob didn't have to. I guess he is a keeper! 😊 When he returned, I told him that I was going to make cookies, bake and no-bake ones since we have run out of munchies. I need to make more custard and buy more Jell-o so we have some of that in the fridge too but not today.

A couple of hours later, the wind had blown some snow off
the little spruce trees
Bill was feeling bored and cooped up so took the small electric heater from the bathroom down to the Hangar. He needs to be as warm as possible if he’s going to be down there working on his hobby. Plus, he has the tv to watch his movies. Inside I made a couple of batches of cookies, tried a batch of fudge (haven’t tasted it yet) and have Fruity Fat Bombs in the fridge setting to be rolled into balls and frozen.

I started out making Haystacks, a recipe from Pat
but I didn't something wrong and they wouldn't stick
Instead, it will make a delicious topping for apple crumble
I sat then to finish my book. Bill came up at 2 for a hot chocolate and went back out. Brave soul. At 4, I finished cleaning up my dishes from baking and made myself a creamy tea. With my book done, I settled down with more cross stitching. I left it out so that I wouldn’t put it out of my mind. 

Cheryl's No-bake peanut butter macaroons

I had taken over the island today
Once we are able to be outside on a daily basis, it will be forgotten for sure. I worked away at it for a couple of hours and grumbled at my own missed stitches but at least I am bluffing through it. No one know that those stitches should be in dark olive green instead of medium olive green.

The birds were getting along and their scrambling for the seeds
helped the snow to disappear
Cowbirds and a blue jay here
Bill came in around 4 and went up to the bedroom to watch a movie and around 6 I started sautéing farmers sausages for supper in Madame IP. Even though I’ve cooked them often, I can never remember how long I cook them for so the first try for 7 minutes wasn’t quite enough. We were just having salad with some leftover rice to warm up so it was easy to delay supper. I’d forgotten about the rice in the fridge but it is always nice on the side.

The peanut butter cookies did not cook well in the convection oven
They taste good but are crumbly
We were soon eating and the sun was making brief appearances outside. The winds were crazy all day with gusts to 26 mph at one point. The feeders are empty so the 'aviators' are scrambling on the ground looking for fallen seeds. I opened the door at one point to drop something in the recycle bin and Chippy was at the bottom of the step. He looked like he was caught in the act of something but I’m sure he was just getting seed too. He needs a winter coat!

By 3, the snow was disappearing quickly

Nice to see the patio mat again
Supper was good and we were cleaned up by 7. Bill had the last leftover from the fridge, the apple crisp, and I felt full enough that I didn’t need anything. Maybe a peanut butter cookie. I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t set foot outside once today so my step count is ridiculous! Stirring cookie dough in a bowl doesn’t work. Ha ha. Our fingers are crossed for better weather soon, trying not to let it get us down too much. We had a good day in our own way and I hope you all did too! 

The sausage with mustard and sauerkraut was delicious!
Have a good night!

Our evening was topped off nicely with a phone call from Bill's second oldest daughter, Charlotte. It was nice to catch up and wish each other an early Happy Mother's Day.

Thank you for popping in. 

16 comments:

  1. This year spring time surely is bizarre and I completely understand you for not going outside at all. Personally I feel really sorry for the wild animals and their many chicks, i.e. babies out there. Bill is such a nice guy for shovelling the snow for your friends. Hoping for warm temps and lots of sunshine and wishing you a Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a crazy spring and I hope we don't miss all those 'first' things that usually come in March and April.
      Bill was thinking of Rob when he drove into town and yes it was very nice of him.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Snow??? No way! It’s May for crying out loud. No wonder Mom was hiding the babies. No worries with the walking. All that cooking is equal to walking. Lol. Happy Mother’s Day! 🌸🍷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I like your reference to cooking and walking. That doesn't include eating it though, right? haha

      Delete
  3. Wow, you folks got hammered! We had an inch or less East of Algonquin. It kind of came in spurts all day but mostly melted on contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, we sure did. Heard that Owen Sound might get it, 45 minutes north so weren't quite sure if we would. LOL
      Glad it went away quickly but it wasn't from warm temperatures!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see your snow is slowly disappearing....
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day! At least with weather like that you don't have to feel guilty for being inside baking instead of being inside on a beautiful day. LOL..Even I who loves when it snows here, wouldn't want it to in May! Hopefully you're on to better weather. That was really sweet of Bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. I know, May snow just doesn't fit into any poems or songs!! LOL
      Hopefully Wednesday brings PERMANENT relief from the weather. Bill is a keeper. :)

      Delete
  6. Wow I am blowing as hard as I can to try and send you some warm weather from the west coast! Happy Mother's day, hopefully today's weather is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you M.T. Maybe that is why it disappeared by the end of the day! :)

      Delete
  7. I would have to say the pictures of the white fluffiness is really quite pretty. Of course, that prettiness belongs in December at Christmas that is it. Certainly never ever in May. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is pretty BUT we don't want to see it anymore, especially not in May. LOL
      Thank you, Hoping you had a great Mother's Day too. xo

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! You got a lot more than we did! Of course you are up there on the highlands. Glad it was mostly gone quick. So how many steps can you get in staying inside your rv for an entire day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I saw your pictures and think you got jipped! haha
      Inside in a day, I only got about 1600 steps. Sad. :(

      Delete