Thursday, May 7, 2020

Starting with a Walk, Sunny, Cloudy, Rainy, Cold, Pampering, Great Meal

The Ridge
It was 7 when we woke up on Thursday, May 7th and we slowly made the motions towards getting up around 7:30. I could see that the sky was blue and there was no frost on B.B. windshield so I was encouraged enough to get dressed and go for a walk. When the winds are low, it makes all the difference in the world and our Canada flag and Sunflower wind sock were hardly moving when I looked out the window.

My morning walk
I didn’t have any early sightings of the new 'children' this morning but I noticed that mama robin had vacated her nest along my walk. Of course, I had to take a peek. I’m not sure whether to be sad but there was one loan blue egg sitting there. Where is she? I hope it isn’t a ‘still born’. 

I noticed something a way up ahead of me on the road so
when I zoomed in, it was a wild turkey
What a gorgeous walk! The air was certainly cold at 3C/38F but the sun very warm. There is a 40% chance of rain today so I’m glad to get a walk out of the way early.


As I was drinking my tea, I had big plans to rake the garden but within 15 minutes, after Bill left to get water, the sky had completely clouded over and we had a handful of rain drops. Um, change of plans. The clouds and sun played tag for another half hour and when Bill returned, I went out to talk to him. Water was spouting out the valve of the water bladder and he told me that the little cap had popped off-again.

Bill and I walked up on the hill so the view
on the left is from the south with the turbine on the right behind us
We’ve been using our old original 45-gallon water bladder for our water fill ups for 4 years now. Bill has had to patch it a few times and now, this morning, he did it one more time to see if we could get another couple of fills out of it. It worked today but now with the valve lost, I think he’ll get our new one out. We bought one a while ago in preparation for this one giving up the ‘ghost’. It doesn’t owe us a penny; we use it so much.

I had flip flopped again about working in the garden so he walked up with me. The wind has increased so instead of raking, we walked across to the ridge behind us on the other side of the farmer’s field. Our neighbor seems to frequent up there so we figured it was okay for us to also ‘trespass’. We wanted to see how far our pond extends for one thing and then just to see what was up there. It was a nice walk and then Bill remembered he had the water tank filling so we returned.

I see fields ready for planting
Bill, the flyer, sees 'these would be great flying fields!'
In the hopes to see our new family(s) I took a walk down the lane before coming inside the warm Suite. We think that Mother and Father have taken them to the far west side of the pond so we’ll have to be patient. Inside, I made myself a coffee and started my post. I emailed Mom’s bank advisor about the error on her investment. The rain has started lightly and it is an hour before noon. I need to decide what to get my hands on today, since it will be an inside one.

Looking to the east, it was interesting to see where our pond
ended up
On the right you can see a wee bit of water down there
I’d received some sample face products when we returned home from Reversol so this was a good time to use one of their face masks. It is the second one I’ve tried and my skin feels so nice afterwards. Today was no different. It is nice to pamper ourselves once in a while.  Then I sat with my book. This Amos Decker story is no different than Baldacci’s others, I have a hard time putting it down.

There's is my RC flyer now with our home in the distance
Around 2, Bill came in and the afternoon followed our usual protocol. NCIS reruns, a snooze happening in the chair beside me and after finishing a few chapters, I took a walk down the lane. The sun had returned and the sky was blue with the exception of very low lying white fluffy clouds on the horizon. It was still chilly out there, probably even chillier now that the winds were closer to 20 mph at times. The mailbox flag was up and I brought the local flyers back with me. Nothing exciting.

Lunch
Fighting for space in the sun on a small patch of grass
It was about 5 that I started to prepare supper. I had a sirloin tip beef roast thawing all afternoon so turned Madame IP on to Saute and browned all sides for about 5 minutes. Then I removed it, added a cup of water and a cut up onion. The trivet went on top of that and I placed the roast back in the pot with 4 potatoes. Because the roast is still partially frozen, I set the Manual button for 45 minutes. I’m never 100% sure how long as it depends on the size of the roast. This one is 3 lbs.

At one point this morning, blue sky to the west
rain on the north windows

Bill likes his corn so I will cook that and my portion of pepper squash in the microwave once Madame IP is on NR. We were eating by 6:30 and were both very impressed with the roast. Picked up at Costco at a very good price, we weren’t sure how good the cut would be. Supper was delicious, kind of like a Sunday night meal on a Thursday. Also, it was perfect for a cool day.

I thought I'd located the family but no babies here
After dishes, we each had some apple crisp and I added 35% cream to mine. Yum! With the skins left on these little Ridge apples, they turned dark, almost black. It doesn't affect the taste but it doesn't look great. Hmmm.

Building up steam
 Bill took a drive over to the Acreage at 7 to turn the water on. We thought we were done doing that but for the next 4 or 5 nights, the temperatures are once more dropping to below freezing and the possibility of snow. Hands in the air if you are as tired (SICK) of this weather as we are! Not much we can do about it but grumble and I know I’m doing my fair share of that. The day wasn’t terrible though, with glorious sun pouring in the windows from mid-afternoon through the evening. That’s great to see at least.


This was a good day and we’ll prepare for a drop in temperature tonight by adjusting our heaters. I hope you’ve enjoyed your day too.

Blue sky and low lying clouds on the horizon
That's it!
good night everyone!

Thank you for stopping in. Your comments are always welcome if you wish to leave one.

12 comments:

  1. Our weather forecast is calling for rain/snow tomorrow. Sure hope it holds off until we manage to cut down the crab apple trees a neighbour wants gone. Harvey is looking forward to having some apple wood to burn in our fire pit next year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we should be long done with snow, right?
      apple wood would sure smell nice in an outside fire!
      thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Even with the weather, you have so many critters around there to watch ... I think it's heavenly!! I do hope it warms up soon though. Wonderful looking dinner. You make me what to use my instant pot more than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I often wonder what do the critters think of the cold weather. :)
      It would be harder to come up with a reason if I were on my own too as far as using the IP.

      Delete
  3. Your dinner looks positively wonderful! The Ridge is looking great and I"m sure you can't wait to get out there and be working in the garden. We've got your kind of weather today ...88 degrees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last photo! Hopefully the weather smartens up soon. We've had a week of nice weather but this weekend it is supposed to get quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love the pictures looking down across the pond too.
      Yes, winter is returning this week. :(

      Delete
  5. Delicious comfort food and a good book, you are on the right track to wait this rollercoaster weather out. There are so many nests out with breeding birds on them and unfortunately not all eggs or chicks are making it. Sad, but the ones that do are a joy to watch. Tell Bill to use his drone to look where the pond is ending up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, comfort food and a book. Yup, my kind of day.
      It is sad that some babies don't make it and I think that egg is a 'dud'. :(
      Bill has taken pictures of the area so I need to go back and look at them. It is fun to walk back there too though. :)

      Delete