Saturday, May 16, 2020

A Dry Day Before the Rains and It Was a Great One


The Ridge
It was a slow-moving morning for me on Saturday, May 16th and I can only put the blame on my late evening last night. It was at least 11:30 before I dropped off to sleep. When we did get up, I hopped in the shower first before going downstairs. Bill didn’t hang around inside, instead taking an insulated mug out to start a project. I didn’t know what it was until I walked out 15 minutes later for my walk. My hair was still wet but it was a mild 10C/51F so I wasn’t too concerned.


A nice short walk down a country road

Home again
It was a short walk down the lane, down North Line and past the corner only. My tummy was either feeling hungry or just upset so I turned back for home. With my tea, I took my book outside to sit and drink it at the King chairs. My tummy settled down. The sun was glorious! There was a lot of racket in the east pond and it seems the geese aunts and uncles (last year’s children) were playing tag. Gosh, they can be as noisy as our chorus frogs are at night.

When the shelter got damaged last spring (?) Bill hoped he would be
able to tape it so we could use it for another year

He seemed to be having success when I came back from my walk
Bill was working on the car shelter cover, trying to make something last that we can’t afford to replace right now. Then he puttered around the mower, making sure all things were working there. At least I assume that is what he was doing. He cut a bit of grass so the results seemed positive anyway! I sat and read a few chapters of my book while he did that and watched the clouds moving in slowly.


While out reading, I shared some peanuts with my furry friend

No matter where I sit, he comes close to me
Obviously, he trusts me as he hasn't had enough peanuts from me yet
The floors of the Suite were pretty dirty again, at least the tiled area so rather than getting the vacuum out while unplugged from power, I used our broom. It does the trick even sweeping across the carpet. Around 11, I began making breakfast as Bill took my winter boots down to the Hangar. The soles are coming apart at the heels and now that I’m done wearing them (I sincerely hope!) he is gluing them for me.

Your puzzle for the day
I told you we had more than 1 Chippy
There are 3 in this picture
Can you find them?
They are all patient with each other and take turns at the bird feeder
After dishes, Bill went back out and I started my post. There are a few things that Gerry needs help with so we’ll go over there for a short visit after they’re done their lunch. I’d hoped to paint some rocks today so don’t plan on staying too long. 

For days, I've noticed this 'fishy-looking' thing in the pond but just today
I remembered to zoom in to see what it was
The turtles seem to have an interest in it too
I guess it is just a clump of grass
We drove over around 1:30 and helped them put their canopy cover on their car shelter and Bill and Gerry did what they needed to do while Donna and I visited. She didn't have any oranges so I took her a clementine so she could hang them to attract orioles too.

Their car shelter is a 'double-wide'

Each spring and fall we help put it up
Many hands make light work

Returning home, these guys were going up the lane

And they slipped into the pond entrance
It was around 3 when we left for home. They said they’d be over to help us with our canopy before supper. Bill stretched the cover out on the grass down by the Hangar, it would be going over the cargo trailer down there. 

Just 3 rocks painted today
I came up and painted a few rocks sitting in the sun at the patio table. The clouds and sun were playing tag, going from cool to hot as I worked away. I had my jacket off and on many times. At 4:30, I made a tea and sat with my book. At 5:15 D & G arrived.

Our canopy ready for 8 hands to help

Ours is a single, just wide enough for the cargo trailer

Looking up at our spot from the Hangar
It was easy with 4 of us pulling the canopy over the frame of our car shelter and after showing them a few things we’d done up here, they said goodbye. I had 3 bone-in chicken thighs thawed for supper so seasoned them up with salt, pepper, garlic powder and roasted paprika. I washed 3 little potatoes to cook with the chicken in Madame IP and put some carrots in a pot on the stove. Bill will have corn with his meal. We watched NCIS while things cooked.

Delicious!
Inside the Suite, the temperature had risen to 73F and that is with windows open. It sure feels nice to have fresh air coming through our home again. We weren’t eating until a few minutes past 7 but it was worth the wait. The chicken was perfect, we each had 1 ½ thighs and the potatoes a nice treat. It feels like a Sunday night meal on a Saturday. We cleaned up dishes and settled in for the evening.

My mini daffodils bloomed and so has the periwinkle
After all that bird seed and peanuts, someone is thirsty
Visitors after supper
For those of you trying to find the 3 Chippy's and couldn't
Here they are
The chorus frogs had started up this afternoon around 4:30 and were in prime form by now. As I sit here working on my post, two sets of geese parents and a total of 17 babes came part way up the hill. Just to give me a thrill before the day ends. This was a great day and we took full advantage of the dry day before the rains. I hope you made the best of yours too.

good night everyone!

Thank you for the visit!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a very nice day for you guys! It's about time right? Your rocks are just too cute, you're quite the artist! How nice you guys could help each other out with the canopies! I'm afraid they wouldn't last too long here in NV with our winds and brutal sun! We do need something though. Loving all your pictures of your home area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you provided the photo with the three chipmunks, I'd only found the one down on the left.

    That is one huge group of goslings! I assume they must be several families altogether. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that's weird ... I commented yesterday but it disappeared. Chippy needs to go on a diet! And did you say 17 babies? Wow!! I would be sitting out there watching them all day long. Love your kokopeli guy on the rock. I'm stealing that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys have quite the menagerie out there on the ridge. As cute as the goslings are, I hope some of them will relocate when grown up for your sake ;-)) Its really lovely where you are with the pond in the background. We have yet to visit and have a look and hope that will materialize some day. Have a wonderful Victoria Day holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photo of the geese! Canada Goose parents apparently join forces to supervise all the young ones after they are big enough to move around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a beautiful place. I'm very envious being stuck down here in the Oklahoma prairie!!
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete