Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Getting Better All the Time, Another First and A Critter Day


The Ridge
It was 5:45 when I first woke and checked out the time on Tuesday, May 12th and was sure I’d dropped off again for at least half hour. I started to uncover and told Bill that I was hopping in the shower. He said, “You’re getting up already?” I checked the clock and only 10 minutes had passed. “Geesh, no, I thought it was later." I curled back up next to him until 7:30 when we both exited the bedroom.

Looking like a decent morning
We have a couple of things going on this afternoon so we wanted to get the best out of our morning. After showering, I joined Bill downstairs and had my tea. With the temperature stretching to reach 0C/32F I read blogs before venturing out for a walk. It is the wind speed that determines whether I walk more than anything and it appeared to be less than 4 mph.


We are taking Black Beauty in to Hanover this afternoon for her repairs so Bill took advantage and drove to the Acreage for another water fill up. I bundled for a nice walk in the cold but under a glorious sunny blue sky. As I rounded the turn at the end of our lane onto North Line I was hit was a nasty wind. Where did that come from? LOL I pulled my scarf up over my nose and had to put both hoods up to protect my head and face. I didn’t wear my hat since I didn’t think it was windy.

Turned out to be a nice walk too

As I neared the corner, eyes watering, glasses steaming up from having my nose and mouth covered, I decided to walk towards the north, the direction that Bill would be coming from. I was wimping out at that point. When he slowed, I would hitch a ride home. However, the winds were no longer in my face and as I walked down the hill on Baptist Church Rd. things improved and I could put my hoods down. Good thing, since I was home before him anyway and had enjoyed the walk after all.


Yup, we were going to start using the new bladder after losing the closure valve but I wasn’t at all surprised when Bill told me he searched over at the Acreage for the lost valve. Then he showed me that he found a stick that worked to plug the hole. He kills me yet I wouldn’t expect any less from this ‘retro-fit’ man o’ mine. We make a good pair as I’m not one to just toss something and buy new. I like to see if we can make it work with a quick fix first. So, we’ll continue to use the old bladder – for now. šŸ˜Š

Bill's quick fix
Now that I was back home and since he was puttering with the water, I figured that I would toss the orange halves I’d set out for the orioles. They had visited the tree once but never the oranges on the metal stand.  I noticed the oranges were still juicy so I re-skewered them. As I was doing so, who should flit by but Mr. Oriole! That’s crazy! So, I set the skewer in the nook of a tree branch near the finch and hummer feeders.  Bill said that maybe they don’t like the metal.


Then I went to watch the entertainment as the oriole returned and started sucking on the oranges! My day has been fulfilled already and it isn’t even 10 o’clock! 

Finally, the oranges are appreciated
The critters were out in great variety today. I’d seen a second family of geese with 5 babes in our front fields. The finches are around, the chickadees, blue jays and even Chippy was fun to watch eating the sunflower seeds. I need to get some peanuts for him.
Someone likes the sunflower seeds
Bill took the heater down to the Hangar with a thermos of coffee and inside I made one as well and sat in the warmth of the sun coming in the windows. Our fresh water tank is full to the brim. At 12 noon, I made bacon and scrambled eggs for lunch and after clean up we decided to go to Hanover earlier than originally planned. I followed him in Black Beauty and we drove to Hanover. The news wasn’t particularly good when Trevor told us the repair ‘could’ be a month.

Gotta love little Chippy

Even if he doesn't clean up after himself
He explained to Bill what was going to be happening and we left there headed for Donna and Gerry’s home. We’d checked ahead of time and knew we were welcomed inside for a nice visit. It was nice to see the changes inside as they’d spent the winter painting all of the rooms. It is looking lovely and refreshed. Great job! When we left there, we drove out to the edge of town and stopped at Walmart. This was another first for us since we’ve been home.


Bill went one way and I went another after a short wait at the door for entry. The store was busy but other than following the floor arrows, it almost felt normal. I would usually stop to check out the Clearance racks in the clothing section but instead got the food and other items on our list. Bill needed shoes for everyday and he found a good deal on some runners. Checking out was easy, since we took our own bags in, we packed them ourselves. We like that better anyway!

I got a kick out of this Downy woodpecker in acrobatic stage

He really wanted to make it work!

But soon realized that this was his place
The sun had warmed the day up to 5C/41F, just as it was supposed to. It still felt cooler than that with the wind but we aren’t complaining too much. We believe there are better days around the corner. We emptied the bags inside and we each felt like having a snack. I had some Lay’s chips left in a bag that we shared with some cheddar cheese to tie us over until supper. I worked on my cross stitch and Bill watched some tv beside me.

This is the family of 5 swimming away
At 5:30, I started supper. Tonight, is Instant pot chili and rather than just throw things in the pot, I actually followed a recipe. Sometimes, it is worth the extra effort. Chili always tastes yummy no matter how I make it but this is a little bit of a different yummy. I made up a batch of 6 dinner rolls to have with it and we were eating shortly after 6:30. It was a bit runny and although I could have cooked it longer to thicken it, I didn’t tonight.

Following Black Beauty into Hanover
We had it in a bowl and ate it with a spoon. It was G00----OOO----D! As Bill was washing the last of the dishes, he drew my attention out the dining room window to the bottom of the hill. Ma, Pa and the 5 baby geese were making their way out to the laneway. I could just watch them waddle forever. One parent led, the little rascals run helter-skelter behind and then the second parent follows. Both adults on constant look out.

Supper was good and we even had leftovers
I slipped into my layers and vest and took a walk. Well, the geese had disappeared. As I was walking down the lane though, another reward. Just at that time, this little guy decided to venture from one pond to the other, right in front of me. 

His look was like "oh, I didn't see you there!"
I startled him as much as he spooked me. I almost stepped on him; we were that close! He stopped. I stopped. We stared at each other long enough for me to take a couple of pictures and then he turned tail and went back the way he’d come, into the water. šŸ˜Š

And then it was a look of "what do I do now?"
Such a cute little face on him!
I carried on my walk, cut across the front field and came back along North Line and up the lane. It was cold out but fresh. 

A couple of blurred Mallards in the front pond
It felt good and allowed me to get over 3 miles walked today. Back inside, I showed Bill the picture of the little animal which we’ve pretty much determined to be a mink. I’ve looked at pictures of otters, muskrats and minks and that is our best guess. This is who I see swimming across our pond occasionally. 
What do you all think?


Today was a good day. More shopping got done and the weather was at least sunny and bright for the most part. Into the evening, the sun hung around indicating a clear night which means another c-c-cold overnight. I hope you’ve had a good day too!

Good night from inside our Suite
Thank you for your visit. Your comments are always appreciated.

20 comments:

  1. We would only occasionally see a chipmunk by the bird feeders when we had the house but I always enjoyed watching the squirrels try to make it onto the bird feeders. Tom would put seeds out for them on the ground in a different spot but they seemed to enjoy the challenge. Though the seeds in the dish disappeared, also...LOL The little guy you ran into on your lane certainly does have a cute face. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chippy easily gets up on the feeders but often he takes a mouthful down to the grass or off to his hole to eat it. :) What's he thinking? haha
      The little critter on the laneway has a cute inquisitive face for sure! I had to laugh.

      Delete
  2. Looks like maybe a river otter. Not good around baby geese. But he sure is cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled otter or mink and now pretty sure it is a mink. The way they swim, their tails and their noses. :)
      He is cute and wasn't shy like an otter.

      Delete
  3. Do you have Google photos on your phone? If you do, go to Google photos and open that picture on your phone (not the computer). At the bottom are 4 options - share, the three lines with breaks, A circle with a broken square around it and the delete. Hit the circle with the broken square. It will check your picture and you can get an idea what it is. You have a really good picture so it should tell you what the animal is. I just learned about this a few months ago and we use it all the time now.
    I wish we could be at the lot everyday as I'm sure we would see so many new creatures besides the constant antics of the birds on the feeders. All in time!
    So glad it was warmer for you today - hope each day improves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri. I will have to try that. I do have Google photos on my phone but the picture was on my camera. I'll transfer it from laptop to phone and try. However, we are 99% sure it is a mink after comparing otter to mink. :)
      The critters are fun and you'll be at the lot soon, I hope.
      Each day, warming up.

      Delete
  4. That's a great shot of the critter from your pond. I would say otter. We have had minks at the Acreage and they are really black and sleek....at least in the summer. Maybe this guy still has his winter coat on! Oh and fyi, we always eat chile from a bowl with a spoon.;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D. This has to be an mink after Googling the differences between them. Noses, tails. He wasn't afraid of me at all and swims differently than an otter. Some pictures were this colour too so maybe he is a baby?
      Sometimes we have chili on toast on a plate. :)

      Delete
  5. Sure sounds like a cold walk. Oh boy a month? Good thing you two have another car to drive. You certainly have a lot of critters to keep you busy watching :) Dinner looks really delicious especially those biscuits ohhhh...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold indeed! I know! We'll check in two weeks and see how they're doing with B.B.
      :(
      I can't get enough of the critters.

      Delete
  6. Wow a month is a long time for your truck but I'm sure it will look awesome when you get it back. That little mink was pretty cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a long time and it's making us wonder about the choice of repair shop. Hmmm.

      Delete
  7. Can't get over how cute chippy is. If you want lots of visits from the orioles, just put a table spoon full of grape jelly on a saucer where you can see it and enjoy the activity. The oranges work better during the summer months for their diet. BTW it has to be grape jelly, no other substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chippy is our resident sweetheart. Well, all of the chippys. :)
      Our friend told me about the grape jelly but I don't have it in the house.
      Thank you for the tip though!

      Delete
  8. Wow, you sure had a "wild" day with the critters! I initially thought otter too, but I've never seen a mink. As someone else mentioned, if it is a mink he/she will go after the goslings.

    Good luck with Black Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it is otters that go for goslings. We have those too. LOL

      Delete
  9. Wow, an Oriole and a Mink! Well done. (Definitely a Mink). Gorgeous day too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surprised the amount of time to fix BB. Might have to haul water with Patooties.
    Lots of Wildlife around to be appreciated.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the warmer temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were first told 2 weeks so will see how the process goes. Yes, we'll definitely get water in Ptooties.
      We love the critters around here. :)

      Delete