Saturday, May 16, 2020

Warm Spring Rains are Okay, Old Memories and Old Photos

The Ridge
It was too early when I first woke up on Friday, May 15th. The clock showed 6 in brilliant blue letters across the room. I’m not much of an early riser anymore. So, it was around 7 when we got up together. I’m still very surprised that I am not feeling any grief from my garden work the other day. Thank you, Donna for the yoga tips.

We were looking at a dull morning
even after the fog cleared at 8


I still have normal 'age' muscle aches but I remember last spring when I overdid it. Before settling down to watch television last night, I laid out on the bedroom floor and did the stretches again. This morning we had our coffee and tea together and Bill had some toast around 8:30. My cousin, Harvey, is starting to get into RC flying and has a plane he is trying to get aloft. He texted Bill the other day and asked for a bit of help so Bill left after 9:30 to go to Hanover.

Bill picked up a few things from the Hangar to take
to Harvey's and was on his way
I wanted to get my hands up into the over-the-sofa cupboards. That is where the physical ‘memories’, that we’ve kept, are stored. We do have some regrets that we got rid of ‘some’ things but I’m grateful we kept a plenty of pictures. Too late to worry about spilled milk, as the saying goes. I brought the box down and found a couple of pictures I was searching for.

The 'memory' cupboard
Clemson's special things, my dolls, wedding bouquet,
albums with pictures etc.
 My sister, Gayle, and I got into a healthy discussion yesterday about our former childhood schools, where we lived and for how long. I enjoy reliving those memories and where one of us may not remember everything, tidbits from a sibling’s memory bank can bring them all back in a rush. Gayle, Donna and my 2 oldest sisters have different recollections than I do. We range from 4 to 8 years apart which creates the variance.
Obviously, I'm going to start looking for a replacement box for other
things like loose pictures, letters, certificates and notes Bill and I wrote to each other
This box is old and is falling apart
Sadly, my brother, Bruce, who was a year and 4 months older than me, is not here to help us sort it all out. I do remember a couple of years before his passing when he told me that his memory was ‘terrible’ so perhaps he wouldn’t be much help. šŸ˜Š Also, we can’t ask Mom, who had an excellent memory for those things, for obvious reasons. It is up to us to figure it out.

This was the earliest picture that I could find from school
It was outside Elmwood, Ontario before we moved into town
My favourite classroom photo Gr. 1 - 8 in one room
Me, back row 3rd from left I was in Gr. 3
Donna, middle row 6th from left
Bruce, middle row 2nd from right
We moved a lot; I think I’ve mentioned that before. I went to a lot of schools, lived in a lot of different Ontario towns so remembering the exact months and years of our schooling and when we moved puts a crimp in my brain. I’m pleased to see that my sisters are struggling with it a bit too. Again, we remember differently because of what was important to us during those years. Figuring it out, is fun. The pictures and letters I’ve got my hands on are bringing smiles of joy. It’s wonderful to ignite our memories, isn’t it?

Not sure why this is in black and white ?
The only other school class photo
This is Gr. 5 & 6 in Biddulph P/S, Lucan, Ontario
Me, middle row, 5th from the left
The pictures helped clarified some things for me
While Bill was gone, I made myself a bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal and a coffee around 11:00. He texted soon after that he was on his way home. When he saw me with the pictures all across my lap, he joined me in looking through them. Funny that when he sees pictures of me from childhood and teen years, he says that I don’t look like ‘me’. I’m sure it is the blonde hair that changes my appearance – oh, plus a few age spots and wrinkles!
Outside the window, the orioles drank
When I walked down the lane I noticed my tiger lilies look like they
got frost bitten
I'm pretty sure they'll come back (fingers crossed as I have a lot of them)




Bill wondered if I was hungry since it was 12:30 but since I wasn’t, he made a sandwich and we agreed for bacon and eggs for our meal tonight. I had some cheddar cheese, just to fill the little hole. Bill went upstairs for a snooze and to watch some tv. 


I think the hostas now know it is safe to rise
They are slow this year for obvious reasons
By 1:30, the rain seems to have stopped and the day appeared brighter. I decided to take a chance and walk down the lane. I was bummed to see that the mail I’d put in the mailbox at 10 was still there. What happened to the pickup?

I'm sure that she didn't even come down our road today
When I got back, Bill reminded me that it was the second time in the month that she didn’t take a piece of mail that we put out so it would arrive on time. So, I called the post office in Priceville to ask if we were getting pickup today. That was no help as she just made excuses for the mail lady and said ‘if you want to bring it in, we’ll make sure it goes out today’. Uh, no that doesn’t work for me. If we’d known, Bill could have dropped it off as he went through town earlier. Unfortunately, Monday is a holiday so it won’t go until Tuesday.

It was nice to see the sun break through for the afternoon
There had to be about 30 turtles out in the sun
Look at the clump furthest back, you can see two brown bellies

I love this picture of this little loner in the opposite pond
Back inside, we watched some tv and I tried to work on the crossword from the paper. That was useless, how do they expect us to know this stuff? The weather outside changed and once more rain graced us with its presence. It wasn’t heavy but it was heavier than it had been all day. By 5:00 we were starting to see peaks of blue sky and some brightness from the sun coming through. This is turning into a lovely evening.

In case you've never seen how much orioles love oranges
Here is what I removed from the tree

I thought this would be my last outside picture
but our evening changed
I went for a walk just before 6, before starting supper. There were no sightings of the geese families but instead I saw a lot of turtles out bathing in the sunshine. No, I haven’t forgotten these little guys! Back up on the Ridge, I filled 2 bird feeders and a container to take down to the Hangar for the one there. Inside, I got supper started. Bacon, eggs and a tortilla for my quesadilla. It tasted great!

We took care of dishes and we just couldn’t stay inside. Bill went down to the Hangar and I finished writing my post before I went out with my book for a while. The winds had died and I wanted to enjoy the 16C/60F before it cooled off. Our overnight low is only going down to 9C/49F so that will be a nice night for sleeping. 

One of my favourite pictures today

On the drive over, this beautiful sight greeted us

The sun was setting just as we arrived at the Acreage
 Around 8, just as I came inside, Bill came in and asked if I wanted to go and see if Donna and Gerry were having a fire tonight. Of course! So, we packed a cooler with drinks and drove over. I don't think they were going to but when we arrived, we agreed it was a great night for it. It was a fun night with a great fire and we didn't get home until after seeing the ISS (international space station) go over at 10:26-10:32 pm. šŸ˜€


This has been a good day. We see the benefits of the warm rains and the grass is greening up and growing day by day. Tomorrow is going to be the best day of the long weekend. Did you remember that it is a holiday? Sure doesn’t feel like it. I hope you’ve had a good one where you are.

Good night
Sorry for the late post! I was busy with life! :)
Thank you for stopping around. Your comments are always welcome.

13 comments:

  1. That's a great posting, worth waiting for this morning :) I love the old pictures. You are too cute, I did see that famous smile in 3rd grade! Not so much in the next one haha. I know looking through memories sure can take some time, but oh so worth it! It's really greening up and so pretty. You know we love any excuse for a fire and family or friends! Does it get any better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I guess it was kind of long! sorry!
      I know, the 2nd picture, as a young teenager, I was shy and didn't come into my 'own' until high school. :)
      I love looking through old pictures and it is why I TRY to take as many people pictures when we are out and about. If it is all scenery, it doesn't mean much in later years.
      We enjoyed the first Acreage fire, first of many I'm sure. We only seem to have fires on the Ridge during the day when burning things or at night when we have company.
      This couldn't get much better for sure!

      Delete
    2. Don't ever apologize..we love your blog..!! I agree it is nice to have people in your pics when we can..Love a fire when we can get it! hugs to you both!

      Delete
  2. Your gardens look lovely. Your right it sure doesn't feel like the May long weekend! Normally the campground would be packed and there would be lot's of fun noises with kids running around, but it just feels so weird to go out for a walk and see nobody.

    Nice that you can take a trip down memory lane :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the garden is coming along. Not too much colour yet but I won't rush it now that warm weather is here, it can slow right down. :)
      It would be very weird for you in a campground with the quiet. Are they open this weekend at all?

      Delete
  3. Always nice looking at memories to put a smile on your face.
    The forecasts are showing more Rain then it will slowly green up.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the memory lane trip. It's the people pictures that I like, which is why I try to take at least one of a group of friends.
      Our grass is greening up and now growing. Soon time to start the cutting process. Bill enjoys it. :)

      Delete
  4. I have very few pictures. Lots of really important report cards from grammar school. Tells you what was important in our house. Lol
    I love that you have friends nearby you can visit. I’m really tired of searching the house for something to do. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have my report cards too but even though i can't imagine throwing them away, I don't know where they are.
      Thank you, we are happy to have people close to visit as well. It helps break the monotony for sure!

      Delete
  5. I have a school memory box with things from when I was a child as well as my two children. I haven't looked at it in years. Sometimes it is fun to walk down memory lane, especially with your siblings. As you say, they remember things differently than you do.

    Despite the rain, you had a good day! I love your hillside garden. No hostas here yet, it's just been too cool. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some school memories are blah, some good and some great. High school was my time to 'blossom' but not that I was in the elite group at all. Good friendships were formed there. :)
      I love seeing 'the garden grow', my name should be Mary Mary...... haha

      Delete
  6. It is so nice to dive into memory lane once a while, isn't it. Great that you have photos from your school days. Perhaps those photos can be used for reunions if those schools have them. Beautiful setting at the acreage with the fire and the pond in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to search through the pictures. Not too many of school though and as for school reunions? They are so disappointing! You never see who you want to! At least that is my experience.
      We enjoyed the fire with family. :)

      Delete