Monday, May 11, 2020

Two Daughter’s Birthdays! No Snow Day!


The Ridge
On Monday, May 11th, we were playing the sleep-in card. When you’re dealt a hand like what we’ve been dealt with, why not play the game? I peeked out and saw heavy gray clouds, I heard the wind howling and yet was rejoiced that we had NO SNOW! We must have done something right because we were hearing that people all around us were getting white stuff that sticks to the ground. 😊 Sorry!

The never-ending cross-stitch
For the last 3 days, we have had snow in some form or another so forgive me for being a bit happy that it has moved on elsewhere. Share the wealth, you know and I want you all to be happy too with your spring. It is very cold though, 1C/34F and I quickly deduced that it was not a walking day. The winds were gusting between 7 and 19 mph making those temperatures feel at least 4 degrees colder.

Not only are there a lot of geese gathered here
(aunts & uncles, I think)
there is no snow!
Bill took the garbage bag and recycle bin down to the road first thing then we had our morning brews together and caught up on our friends’ blog postings. Today, it is the birthday of two of our daughters. Isn’t that wild? My oldest offspring and Bill’s youngest are celebrating. Fourteen years exactly between them. They get along really well too, although they don’t see a lot of each other. Just the way it is with step-sisters sometimes.
Happy Birthday, beautiful Jessica
Since we’d just seen Jess yesterday, I texted her 'Happy Happy' wishes and I called Bridgette. She started back to work today, actually going in to her office so we knew she’d be up and weren't surprised that she was in already at 8:30. 

One of my favourite pictures of Bridgette and I
She was the first to tell us that she drove on snow-covered highways and had a white ground at her business. It is always nice to hear her voice and laughter. Sometimes, I miss her so much, our one on ones, that my heart pangs. She's all 'growed' up.

Happy Birthday, Beautiful Bridgette
When we finished wishing the girls a great day, I got my cross stitch out and Bill took the small bathroom heater down to the Hangar. He planned on being down there most of the day so I suggested he take it with him. I love that he is so keen on the plane he’s working on; it makes him happy and as long as he is warm, he can work away at his own pace and I'm happy too.

the daffodils are incredibly hardy, even through the snow
Inside, it doesn’t seem like I’m making much progress on the cross stitch but I know I am. Plus, it is keeping me busy at something other than reading. At noon, I started breakfast, er, lunch. I wasn’t going to wait so long but Bill was in the middle of gluing and needed not to have the interruption in the middle. We had our bacon and eggs with toast and after dishes, we parted ways again. I’m lucky as I can stay inside where it is warm.

My lamium plants are starting to flower
Newly planted on the Ridge last summer/fall
Around 2:30, I pushed myself to bundle up and go fill the 3 bird feeders, check the mail and bring the recycle bin back up. Gol’ darn! It is bitter cold out there and I was very happy to get back inside. I made myself a cup of tea around 3:30 and carried on stitching away. For supper, it will be a surprise as I haven’t planned anything. It seems whatever I think to make, I’m missing an ingredient or two. After all that shopping! LOL

A picture, just because I love the view from up here
The rest of the afternoon slipped by and before we knew it, the sun was out in full force. It didn’t mean things warmed up much though. It didn’t reach 5C/40F at all today, maybe 3C/37F but still quite windy. 

These winds never let up today
When Bill came up, I was watching an hour long program of Little House on the Prairie, which I haven’t seen in forever, so he went upstairs for a short snooze until it was over. We watched NCIS until it was time to make supper.

Supper was easy and tasted quite yummy
That consisted of macaroni and cheese with mini sausages and it took no time at all to get it ready. After dishes, we had room for dessert so had some Chapman’s Caramel Praline. I had half a banana with mine and it was delicious. We haven’t had ice cream for a while. We watched some Counts Kustoms and then The Voice while recording the finale of 9-1-1. It was a good day and after this very very cold  -6C/25F night, we are looking forward the second coming of spring.

Have a good night!

Thank you for stopping around!


21 comments:

  1. I love cross stitch but they don’t like me. Very pretty. Love the gaggle of geese. Hope to get some pics here soon at the game refuge. Snuggle up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, this one would have been happier if I'd finished with younger eyes! Oh well.
      One more bundle up day and that should be it!!!

      Delete
  2. Can't believe your cold wintery weather in mid May. We're having windy weather in Las Vegas too but it's 98 ! Seems like we've had a windy winter and spring. I too am tired of reading; 16 books since mid March. Wish I had the patience for needlepoint or knitting, but nope.
    Warmer days are coming your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the weather is ridiculous this spring. Never do we remember it like this, ever.
      Your warm winds obviously die out before they come this far. haha
      Wow! That is a lot of books! I'm managing 2 a month, 3 maybe.
      My patience for needlepoint has decreased but I can't abandon the project now, even if it isn't perfect. I do enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. One thing about Daffodils is they don't lie. If they are blooming spring is on the way. You are doing a pretty good job not complaining too much about your weather. :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True enough, if daffodils can hold off until spring, so can we! :)
      Thank you, I'm trying not to be a grumble-puss! haha

      Delete
  4. Two beautiful daughters for sure.
    Those temperatures do not sound inviting at all. Hopefully, things will turn warmer soon. The daffodils are still looking pretty. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have to agree about the two beauties! :)
      Not nice temps here this spring. I hope this isn't going to be the norm or we'll have to switch our southwest times. LOL

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughters.
    Just came back from a very early morning walk. Frost everywhere but no wind and sunny!🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Loree. Wow! I hope my time is off, it says you typed that at 4:57 am! You might have seen the space station if that was correct! :)
      After my hair is dry from the shower, I'm going out too.

      Delete
  6. Birthday wishes to both your daughters. Not often a family celebrates Two on the same day.
    Like yourselves we are so looking forward to Spring sticking around.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your Cross Stitching.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rick. Quite a coincidence for sure with the birthdays.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to both your daughters! It sounds like you both had a good day working on your projects. Hopefully the warm weather is with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Bridgette and Jessica! Beautiful girls! Cross stitching is beautiful, you've got patience for sure! Love seeing your flowers coming up and blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was that really you with dark hair!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, yes it was! My natural colour.......then. Might even try it again. haha

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthdays - what beautiful girls! You are doing great keeping yourself busy while it's so cold outside, but I do hope your warm weather arrives soon and you can spend time outside. I love the picture of you and Bridgette together. Like Mother Like Daughter!
    It's wonderful to see the flowers coming up, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri. I'm not very active when I have to stay inside but it is keeping me busy.
      Looking forward to spring weather, for sure.

      Delete
  11. The weather has been mostly dull and dreary here in Saskatchewan, and yes we have had snow. I have my cross stitch sitting beside my comfy chair, but when it is dismal I leave it as I prefer to do it in bright natural light.

    Happy Birthday to both of your daughters.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete