Friday, November 6, 2020

A Kick Around Day with a Wee Bit of Work

Paisley, On

On Friday, Nov. 6th I rather enjoyed the fact that I didn’t have to go to work at any given time. Not that I don’t enjoy the job but at least for a few days, I’m on my own schedule. Bill left at his regular time and I got up and hopped in the shower just before 7.  I went down and made my tea to bring upstairs and Wes was just about to leave for work too.

Along my walk yesterday, behind the Community Centre
is the pretty little Baptist Church
The write up joke is that it has been baptized by the Saugeen many times (before the dykes)
The original building's brick is set in Flemish Bond which was used only
in Paisley's first brick school and the Malloch House
(I've yet to find the Malloch House!) 

It was around 8:30 when I left for Durham to clean the Mat. I found it in a pretty good state and there were a couple of ladies in doing their laundry when I arrived. We chatted while they waited and another younger lady came in with 3 overstuffed baskets. “My washer died” was her sad story and yet there we were, to the rescue! 😊

A nice drive to Durham

We had an issue with one of her machines but luckily when it was leaking water, it found the close drain in the floor easily. Bill called just as I was in the car to leave and I was undecided what my next course of action was going to be. Did I feel like visiting or shopping or going straight home. I didn’t see Pat’s Edge in their drive so kept on going.


A little leakage from a washer but the drain was clogged
and it gathered in front until I unclogged it

When I got to Hanover, I stopped in at Mark’s once more since I go right by it and I love the store and the clothing. I was looking for something in particular and darned if I didn’t find it on the Clearance rack for $14! A plain black skirt for the ‘party’ on Sunday. Walmart is right across the parking lot so I walked there and found something small for Marilynne to go along with the box of wine we’ll be giving her.

It was noon hour when I got in line at Tim Horton's
You can see the two lines ahead and the single line behind me in
my mirror
They were very quick though

Then, I went through the drive through at Tim Horton’s in town before heading for home. It was noon hour and the creamy steeped tea, breakfast wrap and hash brown would hit the spot nicely. I don’t know if I’ve ever done that for myself before so it’s about time! Susan and I chatted about my 2 deliveries arriving at the ‘back’ door, of all places. My Avon order and my new winter coat from Costco. Yay!

Every time I drive through Hanover, I hope to get a red light at the
intersection so I can get a picture of my brother-in-law, Gerry
Picture on the left in his Re/Max duds

The coat is a 3 in 1 and I’m loving it already. After finishing my lunch, I took the mail keys and went for my walk to the south end of the town and back again. Stopping in at the post office with a key sure puts me in mind of my youth days living in Elmwood first and then later in Lucan as a teenager. Small town feel, small town people. Everyone seems very friendly.


I came upstairs and got online to the Ancestry site. I don’t know that I’ll find what I’m looking for as far as exact location where we lived but it sure is interesting seeing how things pop up in family history. It was nice to hear that familiar voice again today, even earlier, from downstairs. “Honey, I’m home!” It was only 2:30 so he had a nice short work day too.

My coat came from Costco in Montreal and it only took 4 days
when a registered letter sent that way, took over a week 

We chatted, sitting together as I told him of my day. Finally, after some frustration, my sister received her letter. One more out of province delivery and I can relax. Bill stretched out on the bed for his snooze and I joined him after making payment to Avon for my order. It was a small order but just enough to keep my rep status active.

I love the coat! It fits perfectly.
Outside quilted hooded coat, inside white quilted jacket
and they can be worn singly or separately

For supper, we had cream of mushroom soup and custard for dessert. Bill had some bread with his soup and I had crackers. You know, it doesn’t sound like much but it was very filling. After dishes, we came upstairs for some computer stuff and reading before Bill went down to find something on tv. Probably a movie or program I wouldn’t enjoy so I remained upstairs. At 8 or so, I boiled the kettle and made some Jell-o.

The town's bed and breakfast is supposed to be
charmingly decorated inside in traditional 1880's dress
Gar-Ham Bed & Breakfast
on Queen St. offers 3 rooms aptly named:
Lady Ashley, King Joshua and Princess Alicia

We’re having company for lunch tomorrow and maybe the little person would enjoy that. This was a good day. Even though it wasn’t a full work day (morning) for me, I still feel tired at night. I think that goes with the territory here, being mostly in our room, on the bed, makes one somewhat sleepy. Good thing I’m getting out for my exercise through the daytime. I hope you’ve had a good day!

And another main street building from 1890
'Steele Block' now Elora Soap Co.
was originally the home of the Paisley Advocate
The building face has been cleaned revealing intricate brick patterning
from the period
The stained glass has been refurnished and replaced at the top of the windows
Red and green
This is almost directly across the road from where we're staying

Well, good night!

Thank you for checking in on us.

7 comments:

  1. It looks like a nice small town you are spending winter in, I bet it will be pretty in the snow! Also nice that you can have company at your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would have to be pretty stern people if they didn't allow us to have company but you never know in this situation! They are careful about Covid and we would honor what restrictions they had in that event. :) Good people.

      Delete
  2. I love that the town has kept all the old buildings in use. Your coat is awesome ... very cool that you can wear it two ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I haven't seen that a lot, keeping old buildings. Obviously it is a very last resort and the old hotel across the street has had a good run but it will be sad to see it gone.

      Delete
  3. The church and the old buildings are just adorable. Love the old buildings! Very charming! Love the coat, good choice! How nice to be having company at your place and then seeing Marilynne...keeping yourselves busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you're used to living in a small space but spending most of your time in one room must be a bit confining. Love the coat, it looks very warm and cozy.

    Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the population of your winter abode? Pretty sure you would find our city of 11 or so thousand to be a small place to live.

    Your coat looks lovely. Nice and warm for the cold weather ahead.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete