Saturday, November 28, 2020

Light up my Life and Town - Late Post

Paisley, On

On Friday, Nov. 27th after Bill left, I was ready to get up by 7. I took my time, washed, got ½ dressed (meaning I slipped into my fuzzy jammy bottoms) and went down for my cup of tea. I tossed a couple of pepperettes and some cheese in a baggie and got my coffee thermos ready to go. Upstairs, I worked on finishing my blog. Gosh, I get lazy and/or tired at night and just don’t have the gumption to publish. I think the yarn did me in!

Another Norm's sign for you
It made me chuckle too

I left the house around 8:30 and had a good drive to Durham. I did a text wave to Donna as I went through in response to her text. 😊 It was mild but occasionally sprinkly. The wipers were intermittent, then off, then on again. One customer was present at the Mat doing laundry. An older lady who frequents the laundromat often and she seems like a really nice person.

Coming home from Durham, a bunch of us got caught behind this
wiggly, wobbly scrap metal load on the wagon behind
a tractor
Lordy oh Lordy, are you kidding me?



When I found one of my Do Not Use cards stuck in a washer, I turned it over to see if they’d written what the problem was. Instead it said: “Need a date?” A phone # was provided. I showed the lady and we both got a good laugh out of that as I tossed it in the garbage. Neither of us were game. Ha ha. Two other ladies and a gent came in while I was there and one lady in particular is important. A young lady who needed some assistance.


Bill's day ends before 4

I say young, she’s probably my daughter’s age. We started chatting and I came to find out that she works at Rockwood Terrace. When I told her my Mom was in there for 4 years until she passed, she asked her name. She had me repeat again that Marjorie Snelgrove was my Mom. I’m getting teary-eyed just writing this because I have never been prouder of my sweet Mama, leaving such a wonderful impression on people.

Here are some pictures of the Paisley lights
some better than others
Marty's, where we picked up supper

This house looked better than the picture shows

but I loved that they had lights in every window
simple but elegant

All of the staff know her and remember her with a smile, a laugh and a story. The more we talked, the more she remembered meeting Bill and I when we were eating supper with Mom one time. She is the dietician there and with her mask on and the distance we kept between us; I couldn’t recall her. There were so many stories, so many coincidences in regards to Mom, Rob’s Aunt Mary and on and on.

The little gingerbread couple greeted me first

It was definitely a ‘bump into’ type of meeting that was destined. Before we parted ways, Erin asked me for my phone # so we could text. She is looking for temporary accommodations somewhere, long personal story, so maybe I can keep an eye open for her too. I hope she doesn’t forget to get in touch, I really enjoyed meeting her. I was delayed because of this but had finished cleaning so was on my own time. 😊 It was 11:30 when I left to drive home.


These characterson the 4-wheeler were next
sorry for the blur

In Hanover, 40 minutes from Paisley, I stopped at the mall with Giant Tiger, Dollarama and Independent stores. I had a small grocery list and managed to find everything in G.T. and Independent. The drive home had me smiling about my laundromat experience and singing along to Elvis on XM-Sirius radio. When I returned home, I got the Christmas tree box out of the closet. Bill got it down for me last night.

Crossing the bridge to the north

We love the gingerbread lighting

Here's the stage coach lit up
as was my wish

Before he texted about being on his way, I had it up and a few decorations spread around the foyer. Not decorated yet, that will be a Sunday time passer. I sent an email off to our 6 children after Bill read it and then relayed my days events. Tonight, the town is displaying lights. I’m not sure what it is called, Tour of Lights, Festival of Lights, but at 5:30, you are welcome to tour the town. Businesses are putting their best dresses on, I guess. Yay! I was hoping to see the night time lights.

Not sure why Santa and the snowman are facing the gingerbread man
"I'm over here!" I said but they didn't turn around

Next door, the Hair Garage is pretty too with
an interesting facade


We’ve decided to order supper from Marty’s Bar & Grill across the street. Right across the street.
😊 It is a beautiful night, no wind and so I slipped into my boots, hat and coat and walked to the north of town. Just as I reached the Community Centre corner, Santa came by on his float. It’s a one-man parade! My picture is terrible of him as well as the other characters who went by on their quad but I enjoyed it all the same.

And the little town display in the window was beautiful and moving
parts entertained young and old alike

It was too early when I came back to pick up our supper so let myself in the house. It is a dark corner getting into the garage door but I’m sure they didn’t know I was out and about. I should have turned a light on myself when I exited. Bill had a snooze while I was out so we were both happy and ready to eat at 6:30. Mine was a chicken quesadilla and Bill ordered a classic burger with fries.

A yummy supper, which we'll do again
There were a lot of choices on the menu

Bill's burger and fries

As we ate, we both expressed how good the meal was. I had to wait about 5 minutes which was great because it meant it was hot ‘off the grill’. We will definitely do this again and my compliments to the chef and the establishment. We only had a few dishes since we ate right out of the Styrofoam containers. Why not, eh? I had one piece of quesadilla left over for a lunch one day. It was yummy!

More businesses on display


The parade - again, I almost missed him
Hi Santa!!
Only one float 😁

The Christmas Bazaar display
Simple cardboard but it's very creative

The Museum

Upstairs, I hopped in the shower and Bill stretched out on the bed to finish his book. At 7:30, I went across to watch Jeopardy with Wes and Susan. Got a few answers correctly, as did they, so I guess we’re all pretty smart. 😊 Then I returned to our room and worked on my blog post. I’m feeling mighty tired so it will be delayed.

In the Pharmacy window, this adorable
replica of Mrs. Claus baking cookies and Santa reading the paper

This was a good day with some variation. You’ll see our little tree when it is finished so I hope it is worth it! 

And my favourites of the night are the ones of the Mill
at the dam
This abandoned building had Christmas lights in every window


Spooky but wonderful!

And even though this one isn't crystal clear, I believe it belongs on a
decorative plate. Don't you?
Good night - (stay tune for Saturday's posting)


Thank you for popping by!

3 comments: