Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Some Work and a Trip Down Memory Lane, Our Remembrance Day

Paisley, On

Wednesday, Nov. 11th we woke up to cooler temperatures. We weren’t surprised. It was 9C/50F when Bill left for work. I went downstairs myself around 7 for my tea and then at 8 to make a coffee and pack a banana and a bar for my morning. I still haven’t heard from Mitch, but not worried, when he is ready for me to work, I will be too. I drove into the sun on my way to first Walkerton, Hanover next and then Durham.



The laundromat was busy but only with 3 men. I heard something this morning that I’ve never heard before. As a matter of fact, I usually hear the opposite. A fellow maybe our age was doing 6 loads of laundry. “I love doing laundry!” he exclaimed when I walked in. He was hanging his shirts on hangers and folding his pants etc. I laughed, figuring he was being sarcastic. Nope, he seriously loves it.

I don't think this is too bad of a sky for us today
It can't be bad when the sun is shining

When I saw this view, it reminded me of a picture my buddy Pat took last week
The power wires make for a beautiful picture

He comes in once every 3 months or so and can do everything all at once. 😊 Have you ever heard of such a thing? Nice man and he says he has 35+ shirts and enough clothes to wear clean stuff every few days so enjoys that he can come in and use 6 washers if he needs to. He has never owned a washer and dryer. Too funny! I had a nice chat with an older gentleman (very Daddy-like) before he headed out and left me alone.

Downtown Durham was bustling with activity

I was in no rush and that was kind of nice, not having to be somewhere. Today is Jamie’s birthday, young fellow that he is, so on the way to the Mat I stopped at Tim Horton’s and got a gift card to put in his card that I left for him. I know he frequents there for coffee. I left Durham and noticed Rob and Pat’s vehicles were both gone so didn’t stop. I’d thought about it but they are busy too.

I won't show you pictures of the Bunky
Bill will have to write a post one day
but the Saugeen River behind them was really moving today

This will be lovely when it is finished and ready for use

On the way to Hanover, I got to the road where Bill is working and stopped in to see how the bunky was coming along. They are making huge strides. I didn’t stay long; it was cold out there in the wind after yesterday. We are definitely spoiled. 

Beautiful Daisy watched me arrive at Murray's and then casually
watched me leave again
She is such a lovely and gentle dog

I popped into Walmart, looking for some wooden coat hangers for Bill and luckily found some plus some plastic ones for my tops. Seems we’ve stocked up a bit! While in Walmart, it was 11 am and the announcement invited anyone who wanted to observe 2 minutes silence. Of course, I observed along with many others but some didn't. πŸ˜”

A picture I found of poppies in the sunset
No, I didn't take it but I wish I could take credit for that!

When I returned to Ptooties in the Walmart lot, I noticed this small
hood 'ornament' that didn't belong

Here, it looks much bigger than it was
It would have fit Easton but obviously, it didn't belong to anyone in my car
so I left it on the lamp post

As I was driving home, nostalgia set in and I turned down a concession looking for our old homestead. You’ve heard me talk about it, the reason for Ancestry. LOL I’ve got a bee in my bottom about finding that house and that school and I don’t know if I ever will. With Daddy gone, who was a source of knowledge, and now Mom, who hasn’t had a good memory for that stuff for 5 years at least, I’m a bit at a loss.

I followed Concession 10 east from Bruce Rd. 3
and drove from pavement to gravel
I was hopeful but didn't see anything I recognized

I drove Concession 10 east but couldn’t recognize any farm sites at all. I wasn’t expecting to see the house, but we’d built a new barn in the late 50’s when ours burned down and knew it would still be there. Hmmm. No luck. Then I came to a corner, at C10 and Sideroad 25N, and got all excited. There was our old one room SS10 Brant/Malcolm school!! I’d been looking for the wrong house and on the wrong road!

Until I approached a corner that had a memorial
It was called Malcolm and I remembered that was the name of
our school outside of Elmwood

When I looked around, sure enough there was the school
- now a house and obviously someone who doesn't care about keeping the historical
value alive

I took this picture from the corner

and then from the front
I think that front part is a newer addition, I don't remember it
at the entrance
I just wish they'd kept the name on the front

Yup, that's the school we walked 2 or 3 miles too each weekday

I remembered walking SR25 with Donna and Bruce so turned the car south and followed it until I came to a very familiar house. Emke’s, Murray Emke to be exact, lived here and he was in my grade at the school AND walked with us every day too. When I approached and saw that his name was still on the mail box, I slowed down and then backed up. Lordy oh Lordy what was I doing? Of course, I couldn’t NOT stop.

this grouping of photos is mostly for me and for my siblings
If they remember any of Elmwood
this was Lamont's home and post office
I helped Brenda sort mail here

This place was our home for a few years in 1964 - 66
Michael was born here, well while we lived here

Remember the 'Klagis' (?) sisters, Donna? Gayle?

The west view of our house and our yard
Wow, is all I can say

In town, bruce and I walked to this school, 2 blocks away
Mrs. Brocklebank was our principal and teacher
First time I'd ever heard anyone get the strap on their hand
I was in Grade 4 and it wasn't me
Scary stuff!


This used to be the bank, old post office on the right

I got up the porch and Nancy, Murray’s wife answered. When I told her who I was, she got him to come out. We stood in his porch for about 40 minutes reminiscing. The memories came flooding back, names of school chums, neighbours we knew and oh my! It was fun. He gave me direction to our old house, but he didn’t need to, I knew exactly where I was going now!


This house on the corner of our street (David) and Main St. wasn't there
in our time, it was an empty lot belonging to the church

The church next door took up the whole corner in those days

Back out in the country again, I got my bearings and knew
the way to our Rural route home


Almost to the corner of Concession 8 and 25
I recognized Emke's huge home which we always admired as kids
I went to school with Murray, my age, grade 3/4



I was going to drive by and then I saw his name on the mailbox
Holy crap! He still lives here in the family home

The Paisley house I was looking for has to be northwest of Paisley and I’ll find it later but we moved here to this area when Daddy got a small machinery mechanic’s position in Elmwood. We lived out in the country, rented the house only, for only about 2 years I think before moving into the small town. There, Bruce and I went to a 2-room school, just a couple of blocks from home. A much shorter walk than out in the country!

I backed up when I saw the car and pulled in the short laneway
Nancy came out and we chatted before she went to get Murray
By the way, neither of us would recognize each other on the street
if we didn't know the connection

My head was bursting as I drove past all of these former homes, schools and down these streets. It was a great journey and by 2:30 I was headed home. I’d travelled about 40 km in this round trip that brought me back onto Bruce County Rd. 3 to home. So, the Paisley history is delayed as I take you on this memory walk. 😊 I made a tea when I got home and came upstairs to do some online stuff.

At the corner, I turned right

First thing I did was try to cancel my Ancestry.com free trial. I know it was days early to do that but I hate taking chances and I was done with it. It was very difficult to edit that Bruce isn’t my ‘half’ brother! Grrrr. Anyway, it wasn’t working online, taking forever, using up data so I called. Yes, she offered to help me use the site that would be better for me but I flatly said ‘no thank you, just cancel it please’. Done. 😊 Why have those added ‘grrr’ moments in our life when we don’t need them, right?


Lamont's farm house on the right, both Stuart and Phyllis have passed
and the farm has new owners

Bill was home shortly after 5 so I watched him back in and went down to unlock the back door. Wes worked odd hours today so came in for supper and then left again. I know that doesn’t happen often but still; I’m so glad Bill is on a regular day time shift. I had pulled the pan of lasagna out of the freezer when I got home so popped it in Madame IP at 5:30 to cook for 20 minutes plus a 20-minute release (only because we were upstairs resting). It was done and it was delicious.


And then I saw our house in the country, across the road on the left
We rented the house only from Duncan McCallum
Was the porch on it when we lived there? I can't recall but I think so
I have memories of living here

We finished off the last 2 custard ramekins for dessert. I’ll make whipping cream tomorrow for our peach crumble. After dishes, we came upstairs where it is warmer. The downstairs feels cool in the evening and I like the warmth of our room. Bill worked on finishing his book. Yes, he has gotten back into reading a book again. This one is David Baldacci’s Hell’s Corner; one I’ve read but can’t remember – typical of me.

The laneway is a lot longer than I recall, isn't that funny?
And we walked it every weekday for at least 2 years

Because Susan was alone, I caught up on my blog until 7:30 and then went in to watch Jeopardy with her. Alex Trebec, who passed away last weekend, had recorded 35 (?) episodes and his wish that they be aired after his passing. He passed away 2 weeks after finishing. Sad, he seemed like a really decent man, someone nice to meet. At 8, I came back in and finished my blog, downloading pictures etc.

Watching for Bill from our window
He pulls over to wait for traffic to clear before
backing into the lane

Here he comes now

This was a good day. We made a bit of $ and are slowly transitioning into the cooler weather. I’m glad it wasn’t a drastic drop in temperature all in one day. Slow and easy, please. I hope you had some decent weather in your neighbourhood too.

Supper doesn't look like traditional lasagna (again typical of me)
but it sure tasted like it
I don't like dry lasagna anyway :)
Good night! I'm exhausted from my trip through the last 60 years!!

Thank you for your visit. Comments are always welcome. 

Happy Remembrance Day! Happy Veteran’s Day!

20 comments:

  1. Mrs. Brocklebank! Sounds like she should be in a Dickens novel! I look at quite a few photoblogs before bedtime most evenings, and was struck today by the Canadians, Aussies, Brits all mentioning Remembrance Day. None so far in the USA, and I'm almost done. Seems to me we have very short attention spans in this country (USA). I enjoyed your photos....nice to see the houses and your school, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct about her name! And she would make a great character. She was a broad sizeable lady and very stern. I was afraid of her and her giving the straps to the 'bad boys' in the office beside our classroom didn't help!

      Delete
  2. What a GREAT entry today!!! All of them are very good but this one was very special with the memories and photos! Thank you for sharing. We appreciate your efforts very much.
    Take care.
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sure did have a good run of Indian summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful journey you had today. I love reminiscing about by gone days and driving to areas family members and friends lived. I enjoyed the trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun remembering those early days. I rode the bus every day I didn't ride my horse. Tied him up at the neighbor's house. You WALKED to school. Funny how it was safe to do that in the "old" days. Great fun sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a blast with this. You'd think with 8 of us in the family, 7 remaining someone would remember where our house was...........it's the only one we can't find, the one outside Paisley. We were all young and I guess it wasn't important. We thought our parents would be around forever. LOL
      Yes, we walked to a few of our country schools and rode in a station wagon (it was our bus) to the one I'm trying to find. :)

      Delete
  6. Always nice going down Memory Lane. Most of the Homes I remember are now under parking lots.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I loved this post! Love the memories and how cool is it that Murray still lives in the family home!! What a visit that must have been! What awesome countryside and the homes! How lucky you are that you found them! I agree with you getting rid of ancestry. I remember years ago looking at roots web ..it was free and pretty good, don't know if they still exist. Can't wait for your next adventure. Dinner sure looked yummy! Love the view out your bedroom window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! It was fun, emotional and exciting all rolled into one. I used to have the biggest crush on Murray but I didn't remind him of that. He was a tease. Ha ha

      Delete
  8. Wasn't that a great day, finding some of the homes you lived in and meeting up with an old friend!

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out better than I thought so a definite great day! :)

      Delete
  9. What a nice trip down memory lane, those are always fun days :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing memory-filled day! Glad you made those connections after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks F.G. Years ago, I probably wouldn't have gone to the door but life is too short to waste a minute. Murray said he was glad i stopped in and invited me (us) back anytime. :)

      Delete