Wednesday, November 18, 2020

A Later Start, An Earlier Finish, A Birthday in the House

Paisley, On

On Wednesday, Nov. 18th I didn’t hear Bill get up but I heard his marching text go off at one point. Obviously, I dropped off again, soundly, as next thing I knew he was rubbing my arm to wake me for a goodbye hug and kiss. He knows better than to leave without letting me see him off. 😊

I'm afraid I didn't get many pictures today
but you can see the sno along the side of the road

I was in no hurry to get up and going but I can never seem to drop off again. So, most often, I just remain in bed and think. It was close to 7:30 when I went downstairs for my tea. Today is Wes’s birthday so I wished him Happy Birthday and returned to my laptop. I wasn’t going to leave the house until 10 but at 9 found myself ready to go. The highway was clear and dry and it wasn’t anywhere near as cold as yesterday. That was a blessing.

Ptooties needed cleaning off, although the snow was light and fluffy so not a big chore. Yesterday, I remembered to cover my wipers with the nylon Avon covers I bought years ago. It prevents them from getting all icy and sticking to the windshield. I used to have a full windshield cover too but it was more a pain than anything, getting it secured in place. It took me about 10 minutes to get in and out of the laneway.


The peek of blue sky was encouraging

It was an uneventful drive to Durham and only one lady came in while I was there. She had quite a few loads but a pleasant lady to chat with while I worked. She did ask if I would approach Jamie about replacing an outside shelf at the back door. She walks with a limp and says being able to set her basket down to open the door was a huge help. The shelf was stolen early last summer, if you can imagine.

I left the place sparkling and brought the pop cans and even some alcohol cans home for Wes. He uses the pop containers for his solar furnaces and he has a bin for returns, I think. On the way through Hanover, of course I stopped at Walmart and Giant Tiger. I was looking for a couple of cards and some wool in a different colour. Found what I needed and by the time I was headed home, the sun was making the day warm even at 0C/32F. No wind makes a huge difference.


This corner in Hanover is the prettiest view

When Wes came home, while I was upstairs having a nap, I went down to make a coffee and took him a brownie for his special day. We’d already given him a card. 😊 He loves his treats and these are okay for him to eat so I told Susan she couldn’t object! Ha ha. Upstairs, Bill texted around 3:30 that he would be home by 4 so I nipped down and unlocked the garage door making it easier for him to come in when his arms are full.

Coming home just after lunch hour, you can see the difference in
the scenery - hardly any snow left

We came up for him to have a nap and I had my tea and played online. Oh, and started my post for the day. Natter, natter, I sure can find things to write, can’t I? For supper, I’m making chili so had to borrow a couple of cans of brown beans from Susan. Thought I had some in the cupboard so only picked up kidney beans at Giant Tiger. LOL, she has a stock pile of a few things which is a good idea when you have room.

It was quite a collection today in the recycle bins at the Mat
I'd never seen the Cold Shot Molson lager before
Such a little can
I salvaged 6 pop cans for Wes

We had our chili, compliments of Madame IP, she is working overtime this month, and it was delicious! Bill had some toast but I didn’t need anything extra. It is so filling. We saved just enough room for another brownie. Bill is going to take some heated chili in his small thermos tomorrow to see how warm it is come lunch time. He has no way to heat it up at the worksite. Even though tomorrow will be warmer, we want to test it out.

After dishes, the normal routine of back upstairs to our room. Wes and Susan were busy with an online auction so weren’t up for Jeopardy at 7:30. I’m not familiar, yet, with how to turn their big projection screen on so didn’t touch anything. This was another successful day. I got an hour of work in and Bill got 7 hours. He also knows once the weather changes, he could have some days off so is happy for the work while he has it.


I hope your day was a good one too! Thank you for stopping around.

12 comments:

  1. Check Dollarama for yarn! It's hit and miss but I've found some great deals. We have three of those stores in our area and they all had a different selection at amazing prices. Loops and Threads brand for $3!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! I almost went into Dollarama but thought GT would have a better choice. They had the big thick yarn for a better price than I paid at Walmart but they were all in dark colours, not suitable for a baby blanket. sssh. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven’t tried this but have heard that filling the thermos with boiling water, letting it sit for several minutes, then filling it with your hot food, will keep it hotter, longer.
    I really admire your dedication to walking in that weather. As a long-time Arizonan, anything below 50° calls for a cozy blanket, good book and a mug of hot tea or hot chocolate! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! thank you for that reminder about the thermos. I also heard that years ago but completely forgot. We'll see how it turns out today and remember it for the future. :)
      'long time Arizonan' gee I like the sounds of that!

      Delete
  3. I was just going to say the same thing about boiling water, plus keep it wrapped in a towel. Should be toasty warm for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Wes! I guess people drink in the laundromat while washing clothes..something I wouldn't have thought of haha. That's something about the shelf being stolen..geez what's wrong with people! I didn't remember about the boiling water tip but used to do it for years when fixing Ken's lunch..oh memories..:) Glad Bill's enjoying his work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Boiling Water and Towel Wraps are all useful tips that I've personally found successful.
    Nice that the roads are still clear for you and the Wind was lower.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuckling at Peggy Edgar's comment. Jerry went to Phoenix today. I always go through a checklist. Do you have your phone, phone charger, wallet, coffee, sweater? Yes sweater. It's only getting to 87 today. He might need a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people will steal anything that isn't nailed down...or apparently even if it is. :p

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen those Avon wiper covers ever. Would you mind a photo so maybe we can shop for those or similar if our truck is parked outside for any length of time in the winter. I'm sure Bill will appreciate any kind of hot meal or beverage for lunch if he is working in unheated houses or outside. If the insulated bags work for keeping things cool they should also work to keep them warm if they were hot when packed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is too bad that someone stole that shelf. What on earth gets into people.

    Still not using my IP as much as I should. Might have to make a special week next month when that is all I use. You are very good at using yours.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete