Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Cold November Day, A Busy Laundromat and a Lot of Change!

Paisley, On

On Monday, Nov. 16th we have slid to the good side of the month. I say that for obvious reasons, no? The end of the month means we are that much closer to April? Golly, gosh, gee, wasn’t it me who just said in a previous post that we should just enjoy every day that comes? A girl can change her mind, can’t she?😛

The sky this morning was cloud filled but the
roads were clear

This morning, Bill needed to drive to Mildmay, Billy wasn’t going in to work today. They go to Mildmay first, where Mike (the boss) lives, and pick up the tool-filled cargo trailer. He met Mike at his home this morning and left Black Beauty there for the day. Bill drove Mike's truck pulling the trailer to the work site in Neudstadt where Brian met him. Phew! I’m not confused at all! I got up around 7 and went down to make a tea, my drive being much simpler.

Arriving in Durham to a skiff of snow on the ground

While I was in our little kitchen, I packed a banana, some cheddar cheese, water and prepped my coffee before bringing my tea upstairs for an hour. There isn’t a specific time for me to leave but just after 8 means I miss the school buses. Today was no different. It started to snow as I walked to Ptooties but it didn’t last any more than a couple of minutes.

And just when you feel yeuchy because of the cold weather
you encounter this.............(check the next photo)

The roads were clear and as I approached Durham, cars coming from that direction were white with overnight snowfall. Only one person finishing up in the Mat, someone I've chatted with before, and after he left, I noticed another ‘visitor’ at the front. I’m not sure if it is Renee, the same homeless gal as before but I didn’t think so. Her hair was dyed jet black and this lady seemed to have some issues as she talked to an invisible 'someone' a lot of the time. That makes me uncomfortable.

A horse and buggy and two cold passengers
Brrrr!

I did my job but kept my distance and didn’t approach or speak to her. You may think that is rude but when I hear foul language for no reason, I don’t need to add anything to her attitude by asking her to move. I skipped those 3 washers and mopped around her chair and boots as best I could. About 15 minutes before leaving, the place filled up. Along the main aisle, every washer (10) were filled by 3 people who came in together. Laundry day!

After finishing at the Mat, and after stopping at Walmart
I'd decided to go to visit Bill
Isn't this a beautiful entrance sign to the town?

They were all very nice and raised eyebrows at the lady perched at the front but no one said a word. The coin machine light was on meaning no change (crap!) so luckily there was enough change in the same row of washers to which I do have access. I opened about 5 machines and give out just over $120 in loose loonies, twonies and quarters in exchange for their paper money. I’m glad I was there or they would have been quite upset. I notified Cheryl, Jamie’s wife about the machine. It’s tough to keep on top of it.


When I left, I texted Cheryl once more and said that whoever counted the change at the end of the week, they can thank ME for the easy job! Jamie responded with a huge thank you. 😊 Cute.  I debated popping into the Going Once…Going Twice store but instead headed to Hanover for a Walmart stop. Seems I’m always picking up food but it is better to pick up a few things at a time than a big stock up and we only needed a a handful of items.

This is the house they're renovating
It looks big but the rooms are divided up as old homes were
making inside appear small

I bought a set of 2 T-fal fry pans while there as I only brought my medium size one. Susan said she had lots but hers are not simple fry pans but bigger, heavier double handled pans and I’d just rather use my own. The price was right so now I have them and will use them in the Suite. Before leaving Hanover, I stopped to fuel up at Pioneer because I forgot to do that in Durham at Esso. I could have got points added to my PC Optimum there. Bill has the only Pioneer card on him which doesn’t help me.

I didn't think I'd caught him working, but I guess I did

Leaving Hanover, I took a detour 5 miles out of town to see where Bill is working and couldn’t believe that it is a full renovation! The house in Neudstadt is gutted and he and Brian were working away to strap, insulate and prepare for drywall. I chatted with them for a while and headed out for home. I instructed 'Greta' GPS to take me home but she wanted to take me on a dirt road that ‘does not get winter maintenance’. No thank you, I turned around back to the main highway, gave her a talking to and let her take me the proper route.

Downstairs is all insulated, needing vapor wrap and drywall

Wes had just backed in the driveway ahead of me, so he had a short work day – morning. He was still home when I left at 8ish and it was 12:15. After unpacking the groceries, I came upstairs with my only intention of reading or crocheting. Funny, but a walk wasn’t appealing for some reason. I’ve got to get better at preparing myself for the chill winds if I’m going to get my exercise over the months ahead. There is a treadmill in the games room……………hmmm, but it isn't the same experience at all.

Mike's business sign
Need work done?

I set to work with the yarn, read, crochet and repeat process. I was intrigued to read that our friend, Elva, knew the story that I was reading. That’s neat! The book is quite enjoyable. I was debating going down for a cup of tea around 2:30 when Bill texted that he would be home in 30 minutes so I waited until I heard him downstairs. While waiting, I decided to call my other boss. Mitch answered fairly promptly and sounded great. Sadly, things haven't picked up for him so still no work but we had a nice chat. 

After leaving Neudstadt, I had to stop to take a picture of this beautiful
OLD gate that I noticed on the way in.

He was happy that I called to check up on him and even commented that it was good to hear my laugh. We do laugh a lot when we're working together. 😄 No doubt, he is feeling bad that he can't offer me work right now. Back upstairs, I was surprised that he didn’t lay down but instead sat at his laptop watching video clips on FB. I stretched out on the bed with my hobbies.

They just don't make them like that anymore!

I think it was just before 5 that I couldn’t keep my eyes open so I rolled over for a siesta myself. When I woke up 15 minutes or so later, guess who was on the bed behind me? 😊 At 5:30, I went down to start supper. Spaghetti and meatballs in Madame IP tonight and this was the best outcome I’ve ever had. So much simpler than I’ve done it before. Literally, one pot dish with no prep at all.

I followed Greta's directions through Carlsruhe
a burp of a villa

And then she led me astray down this country gravel road
The blue lines point out very steep hills and even though it was
about a mile and a half before I turned, I was concerned

We did dishes, Bill made his lunch, all routine stuff, right? Upstairs in position at my laptop, I worked on my blog post. Bill placed a small Amazon order and went down to watch some tv. I will join him at 8 to watch Private Eyes. This was a cold bitter day, the thermometer registered 3C/37F but the real feel was -2C/28F so a good reason that I didn’t get out for a walk after all! It’s the winds that get me.

This spaghetti and meatballs was wonderful!
The12-pack of juicy plump Italian meatballs were on sale for $3.75
how could I go wrong?

PS - I stayed downstairs with my sweetie and watched Chasing Classic Cars until 10 so delayed my blog posting. Priorities, you know! It was all about the 170+ classic cars at the Tupelo Car Museum being auctioned off. Any chance to relive memories of Elvis, I'm all for! I just wish we'd known about it when we were there 2 winters ago.

There was someone right behind me but next time through Carlsruhe,
I want to stop and get a better picture of this church.
Sorry for the blur.
Good night!

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are always a welcome addition to my posts!

 

11 comments:

  1. Everything is slow right now which is adding to people's Mental Insecurities.
    Glad Bill is staying Safe and wearing a Mask.
    It is strange after being exposed to the southern winters we have a harder time becoming used to our own. First winter we went south we were walking around in Shorts, T-shirts and Sandals while the locals were bundled up. Now we're wearing jackets at Fifty Degrees.
    Be Safe and Enjoy staying cozy.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure my body temp will get used to the winter, part of why I'm pushing myself to get out there no matter what.
      Living and working in factories and government jobs has ingrained the work safety into us. We've also seen too many others with lung problems from poor practices from years ago.
      Stay warm!

      Delete
  2. You make a great saleswoman,I may get my own MadameIP.Hope you get acclimated to the cold soon!Love that old gate!-Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thank you Mary. I was taught by the best! Kudos out to Kim, our first IP experience! :)

      Delete
  3. I watched Private Eyes last night as well. Tonight is NCIS.

    Your day sounds lovely, visits, talking to a friend on the phone and playing with yarn. My kind of day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun catching up with you and seeing all your pictures, especially all the older homes. Nice trip down memory lane you took. I do really like those deep windowsills in the house you are living in nice place to display things. I guess my head must be an issue too because I always have trouble keeping a chook/toque down over my ears and I have never found earmuffs to be comfortable...lol Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you! I know it is hard to keep up with blogs, Im the same.
      Whoda thought our heads would give us grief!? haha
      Take care you two!

      Delete
  5. They say spaghetti is the easiest thing to cook in an IP. I haven't tried it yet, but you've inspired me to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you two are keeping busy and trying to stay warm. You'll get used to the cooler temps soon enough. We're having lots of windy days. I hate the cold wind and can't wait to get out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember driving past those beautiful stone gates. I presume the original farmer was also a stonemason. It looks like recent owners have fixed it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete