Monday, November 2, 2020

First Snowy Work Day, I Didn’t Care for it!

Paisley, On

Monday, Nov. 2nd Bill was up with the alarm and after he was washed, dressed and fed, I got up and went downstairs with him to see him off. Brrr, it is a cold one out there this morning. 0C/32F means to me that WE shouldn’t still be here! We’re so spoiled!

Someone is very sad
It'll be okay, Ptooties, you'll get used to it

I made my tea and threw a few things in a grocery bag (I need to pick up a small foil lined bag) before bringing my tea and some Shreddies in cream upstairs. Wes and Susan were downstairs making plans for their day. Wes wasn’t working this morning but possibly afternoon. I pulled my 3-way winter bomber jacket out of the closet with dread. Crap! I haven’t been looking forward to this first wearing of the season.

and it was thick enough for a first time
This is after the defroster ran for 5 minutes
I know, 'want some cheese with that whine?'

Ptooties was covered in a heavy blanket of hard packed ice and snow so I had to let her run with full defrost in order to get it scraped off. I won’t drive it until she is uncovered, at least all windows, lights and as much of the hood as possible. It took me 15 minutes so a good thing I started just after 7:30. The road, CR#3, between Paisley and the Walkerton turn off runs N to S and it was an icy mess. My thought was “what the h** am I doing?”

The sun just wasn't enough to clear the roads
before I left
My camera clock was not changed yet

Bill texted, which came through on the phone’s Bluetooth in the car, and said “Be careful, the roads are icy in places”. LOL First time in 5 years that I’ve driven in this so I was definitely on edge. I don’t want to be freaked out, like so many on their first winter drive, so just lowered my speed and focused. There wasn’t a bare patch of pavement to be seen until I got close to Walkerton and then Hanover and Durham were clear.

He wasn't kidding, the road is very icy
I slowed right down to take the picture (tsk tsk)

Turning onto Baptist Church Road to Mitch’s was another story. I did freak me out so I crawled. Anyway, I made it safely and texted Bill that I was there. With the first drive out of the way, I’ll be fine and make wise choices. It was clear streets in Paisley so I never thought anything of it when I left. I worked on Tommy the whole 3 hours and then cleaned the Mat in town. It was a hopping place this afternoon and before I knew it, I was on my way home.

The blue sky was sure nice to see

I felt tired although last night I slept really well. I touched base with Jamie’s wife, Cheryl, as I needed to let them know my hours to date and that I wouldn’t be in until Wednesday of next week. That’s another story. Back home, Wes and Susan were busy, he didn’t get called in after all. You husbands all know what your wife’s to-do lists are like – you’ d rather be at work, right? I was home at 2:15 and made myself a tea at 3:30 while I waited for Bill. They were done early today and he was home at 3:30.

clear roads on #4 on the way to Baptist Church Road

After changing, Bill had his snooze and I sat at my laptop catching up more ‘estate stuff’. Soon it will be done, for the first interim at least. Supper is easy tonight, leftover roast, potatoes and gravy. I’ll cook some veggies on the side. Before bed last night, Bill went down to the games room and watched our program ‘Why Women Kill’ . It left us on pins and needles. A real cliff-hanger. Next Sunday’s episode is the season finale so I hope we don’t miss it! LOL

for our American friends who are headed to AZ, be grateful
I know you are!

Supper was good again and there is some gravy left and a bit of beef for a lunch for one of us. We did the dishes and then I pulled the Keto Maple Pecan Brittle, or whatever it’s called, out of the freezer and we consumed that small portion between us. 😊 Yum! Next time, I’ll make a bigger batch now that I know it turned out. If I’m in the mood tomorrow, maybe I’ll make something for desserts again.

I almost cried when i turned onto B.C. Rd. 


I slowed to a low 30 kph instead

Upstairs, the blog got updated and then I read my book until 8:00 when we went down to watch the season premiere of Private Eyes. We chose that over the Voice tonight since they’re both on at the same time. Monday and Tuesday get jam-packed and the rest of the week’s shows are duds, in our opinion. At least for what we’re interested in watching.

by the time I headed home, the sun was gone,
the clouds were covering the blue sky
and the icy roads were but a memory

This was a good day back to work although I sure could have done without the drive this morning. I hope you enjoyed your day!

when I got home, there was a lovely
condolence card from Mom's air force friend,
Smitty, waiting for me
It had me in tears with her hand written words inside.

Good night y'all!

Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. Hope you don't suffer too much! Just take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, me too! Ontario, Canada: where most conversations revolve around the winter weather. :)

      Delete
  2. Hopefully the road clearing crews will be out in full force when winter really starts,I stay in winter every year, and driving on ice still scares me.
    I expect the tears will flow about your mom for quite some time still,again,I feel your sorrow.- Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't fault road crews, I know they will do their best come the 'real' weather. :)
      Thank you Mary.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had the tires. Breathe deeply and take your time.
    Drive Safe and Enjoy the season.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Slipping and sliding; glad you made it all the places you needed to go. And that photo of the trees beside the road is just lovely. (I know. I'm writing from Texas...but do remember a couple of years living in New York upstate when the trees looked great with snow. So I'm nostalgic.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can deny the trees in snow. I mean, some even say that Christmas is just around the corner!! :)

      Delete
  5. Our Canadian friends are flying down to Green Valley, Arizona, and we are lending our Volkswagen convertible bug. Unfortunately, I will have hip surgery in a month. Then we will drive down as soon as I able.
    I now it's hard with you 2 not going to South this year, I'm sure next year you'll travel again. I feel your pain! Take care, Rawn Stone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friends are fortunate, that would be exactly what we'd do if we had our own place down there. ONE Ontario winter won't kill us and will make us appreciate future south trips even more (if that is possible!). Notice the emphasis on ONE. :)
      Thanks, Rawn.

      Delete
  6. If it is going to be like here the snow will stick around a few days, melt, and then you will get some nice weather. We need to get the snow tires on our SUV yet, I just took it out of 4 WD a couple of days ago. It will probably be back in by the end of the week.

    I have stayed in Canada all my life during the winter (except for a few lovely holidays abroad) and hate driving on ice even though Harvey says "You'll get used to it" I never really have. I am the slow little old lady driving down the road.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow has disappeared already, as is typical for these first couple of months from what I remember. Ice isn't fun to drive on at all but the snowy bits are easier if we take our time. Bill taught me to use my lower gears and that helps me a lot. the good news for me (and likely many of us at this age) is that I don't have to drive in it. :)

      Delete
  7. Always fun to go slipping and sliding. You guys are definitely not used to that kind of driving!! It's an adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust you to see the driving as an adventure! ha ha Love that! :)

      Delete
  8. That first drive in the snow and ice is always the most nervous one. To be honest, I'd prefer a snow covered road to ice - at least the snow provides some traction. In any event, I hope it stays away for a bit, like New Year's would be great.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those roads don't look nice! Fortunately we don't get ice like that. It is sad that we are all seeing winter weather this year ... fingers crossed for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures with the snow on the trees.... beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you find a windshield cover to use on your vehicle that would take care of at least that much? Here in Kansas where we don't have a lot of ice and snow it still comes in handy. BTW yours truly evidently forgot how to drive on ice as I did a spinout and landed in ditch the other morning. My vehicle wasn't hurt and I wasn't either, just surprised.

    ReplyDelete