Thursday, November 5, 2020

An Enjoyable Shopping Trip to the Port, A Nice Afternoon Walk

Paisley, On

On Thursday, Nov. 5th after my sweetie left for work at 6:30, I tried to go back to sleep. When my body has been in bed long enough, sleep just won’t come. I was in bed at 9:30 and likely asleep soon after closing my book at 10. I’d had enough sleep so after resting a while longer I got up at 7:30.

I do miss seeing the sunrises and sunsets
so you'll have to settle for this view out our window

I was going to go for my walk, it was another warm 12C/54F but my tummy was telling me not to rush things. Change of plans. Wes was downstairs, no work today, and I puttered around making my tea, decided on supper and I came back upstairs. Susan had a hair appointment today after a long 6 or 7 months wait so he stayed home to take her. She doesn’t drive far anymore for personal reasons.

The sweater on the left is so soft and actually more of a rust colour than what you see
I love it for $17
The other 2 tops are the same style but nice long sleeve tops
on sale for $8 each

After tea, I walked the 250 steps to the post office and mailed two more registered letters. I was hoping to hand deliver them but the distance between here and there is far, it would have to be a weekend and I didn’t know when we’d get there. It feels better to get them in the mail. I touched base with the recipients, nice to have Messenger, to let them know to expect them within a week. Then, I hopped in Ptooties and took myself to Port Elgin.

Now pictures of my 4 mile walk this afternoon

I needed to pick up a very few grocery items but really wanted to take my time in Walmart and Giant Tiger for some other items. I found mostly what I wanted and a good substitute for the one thing I couldn’t locate. It was 12:15 when I left town for home. Wes and Susan had taken Abe ‘Lincoln’ out for a spin this afternoon and the house was empty when I returned. That doesn’t happen often, Susan is usually home.

I think this creek is from the Teeswater River running into the Saugeen

A lone dandelion wonders about what it should be doing
for you Deb Duchaine!

It was lunchtime and I hadn’t eaten yet so made myself a cold meat, cheese, cucumber, lettuce and mayo wrap. Ooh, that was good with a creamy coffee! Upstairs, I recorded the bills online and transferred $ from our grocery account and my savings account. I bought some clothing! Tsk tsk but the prices were awesome and they will get a lot of wear. The colours are different than anything else in my closet, actually so are the styles. 😊

The sun didn't want to give up but it had no fight
against the clouds

The same creek from the bridge

After cleaning up the dishes, I slipped on a light jacket, donning a poppy on the lapel, and went for a walk. The sky had clouded over and there didn’t seem to be anymore sun for the day but it was still mild. I headed out along the Saugeen, up on the high banks this time. There were 3 men down fishing but moving along further down so I don’t think they were having much luck.

The other day, this Private Property sign had me avoid the trail
But I realized it was open to the public, just be careful
Got a kick out of the sign, to encourage walking?

I went down one side of the creek, across the bridge (one of many) and down the other, longer gravel path. It brought me out to a couple of options but I took the shorter route and sat on the bench to chat with my sister out in Montreal. We are keeping an eye on the registered mail I sent even though our hands are tied as to what time it will actually arrive. LOL It can be frustrating watching the way an envelope bounces around!


On my return down Queen Street (main street), I decided to pop into the library. Oh my! Talk about quaint! I love Durham’s new library, although the older one appealed to me more, but it is in West Grey County. My card there doesn’t work here. I wasn’t sure of the possibility of me, being a temporary resident, getting a Bruce County library card. The two girls in the library were awesome and reached ‘hero’ status for me today. 😊

Down over the edge of the trail I noticed brightness
and zoomed in to see tomatoes tossed here to rot
Maybe to feed critters? Sometimes there are no answers
There was no house close by ???

When I got back home, it was 4 and our hosts were still out. I was feeling pretty good so poured myself a Forty Creek drink and came upstairs. It was a surprise to hear Bill call upstairs “Hi dear, I’m home” at 4:15. Nice treat. We are having fish and chips for supper but there is no rush. We caught up with our days and when Bill stretched out on the bed, I joined him and played games on my phone.

Curiosity kills the cat
The trail I walked is to the right of the picture
and this one goes back down the hill to the river

I followed it, looking for a picture or two

Straight on is the Saugeen River

At 5:30, we started supper. Bill’s job is the French fries in the Fry Daddy and I fry the fish filets in the fry pan. They are quite thick ones, which is nice, almost more like loins. We enjoyed the meal and were cleaning up dishes when Wes and Susan returned home. They have been gone a good part of the day so we left them to themselves while they ate their take-out supper.

Down a steep embankment that ends up IN the water

To the right, the path goes under this dead tree
I'm chicken, it looks pretty wild that way

'and moss grows fat on a rolling stone' (name that tune)

Good news of the day "I got a new library card!" Yay!

Bill had his shower and I worked on my blog post. When I was walking, I got a phone call from Mitch. He has ‘laid me off’. Well, not unexpectedly so. We are only working on one vehicle, Tommy, and there is no cash flow coming in for him to pay me so he doesn’t want me to work until he can. I think that is decent of him and hey! I don’t mind some time off in this nice weather anyway.

I enquired about searching their library for homes in the county
around the area and Ancestry.com gave me this info on Daddy
For more info about census and voting in the 60's, I need to sign up for 
a 14-day trial
Hmmm, thinking about that.

Since I won’t be working on Monday, I’ll take the run over to Durham tomorrow and clean the laundromat. I’ve had a good day with some shopping, some relaxing, another great walk, a great meal and some wonderful weather.

Supper was good and I was full
without any dessert
Good night!


Thank you for your visit today!

12 comments:

  1. I joined Ancestry a few years back, not their yearly, just a month by month. I think I was a member for about 4 months. It is enthralling!! I did my family tree on both my Mother and Father's side. So interesting. I went back to the mid 1700's and could have gone further, but stopped there. I wish I had done this when my Dad was alive because I found out some family info he knew nothing about. I will join up again sometime in the future and continue on. I did the DNA test on there and found several 2nd and 3rd cousins I didn't know I had. It is kind of addicting once you start and begin to see all this info start appearing. Have fun if you join up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth for the info. My father-in-law before he passed was big into My Heritage which is a similar site and he really found a lot of old records too. It was too much for me, now it just notifies us of birthdays for the nieces and nephews by email. My sister has also done a lot of research and wrote family books on both sides. For me, I'd mainly like to find out where our home was outside if Paisley and see if I can locate the old one room school we went to. I think I might do the 14-day trial and then cancel. It allows that before the end of the period. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are settling in and exploring. And finding things of interest, but that doesn't surprise me. I think you're the sort of person who is going to do just fine in spite of all the adjustments needed. Many changes but the world is still there to be explored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that JudithK, I sure like to think that I can roll with the punches easily. :) I've managed all my life to not get stressed. Guess who? Mom's genes again. :D

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you got a library card. I don't know what I would do without mine. I have never joined Ancestry, and wwould like to know more about it if you join.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if I could get one being a 'temporary resident' but they worked magic and made it happen. Mine was an original situation for sure! I'll let you know about Ancestry.com.

      Delete
  4. We used to have old tomatoes delivered to the ranch. They could not be sold but made great cattle feed. I imagine they dumped them for the critters instead of into a dumpster.
    I used ancestry.com for a few months. Be forewarned, most all the info is from "relatives", not people who specialize in this sort of thing. Anyone can add info. I found several mistakes in our line, so I take it all with a grain of salt. It is fascinating and you can get easily hooked on it. Let us know what you find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy re the tomatoes. :)
      Also, re ancestry. I can tell that the info is added from relatives with the exceptions of the census and voting pages. That is interesting in itself. I have received a lot of hints and yes a lot of 'mis' information already so am careful what I add to the 'tree'. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the tops and the sweater you bought. Sometimes we need to go out of our comfort zone and try something new, even if it's just clothes LOL. Good for you! I'm sure Mitch will get you back working as soon as he can. Love the private property sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, the tops are definitely different for me but look nice on me. :) (if I do say so myself!)
      I'm sure Mitch will call next week, if not, that's okay too. I understand his position.
      Cute sign for sure!

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you'll miss the extra dollars from Mitch, but I'm also sure you won't miss the drive, especially once the snow flies.
    I think I've said this before, but I'm really enjoying your photos of your exploration of Paisley and area.
    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss the $$'s but I'd rather he lay me off than me continue to build up hours when he doesn't have the cash. :)
      I'm glad you're enjoying the town too!
      Thank you Maebeme!

      Delete