Saturday, November 14, 2020

Early Morning Town Trippin’, Laundry Day, Afternoon Christmas Bazaar

Paisley, On

It was 7:20 when I first looked at the clock on Saturday, Nov. 14th. Phew! We slept in! How nice that there is nothing we’ve committed to, outside the home, today. It is easy to get caught up with going here and there but today was a stay-at-home time. I did get up though with the intention of going for my walk, but it wasn’t a commitment – more a desire.

I usually come to this corner (a 3 street meeting) on the far left (Mill Rd)
but today came up the middle one (Rowe St). It wasn't such a steep hill so I need to remember
it for next time. 

It was a cold morning but not freezing as the windshields indicated by their clarity. I bundled up really well and wrapped Donna’s ‘gift’ to me around my head, covering my ears and forehead. I ventured yet again on new parts of a familiar street. I’d been on Victoria St. before but didn’t follow it all the way to the end as I did today. I located the public school, such a shame that they are so modern! I’m spoiled with my historical building searches now, these newer schools, churchs and residences are unappealing.

You can see from the flag along the river, that there was no wind
Perfect time to walk

I also found a ‘diy’ carwash that is big enough for Black Beauty, I’m sure. All for a starting price of $2. You don’t see that too often. I think Bill will be happy, even if it is just to get the snow crud off our vehicles over the next few months. Victoria St. brought me out to the south end of Paisley and I happily turned onto one of the town’s many trails so didn’t have to walk the highway strip. Traffic was light at 7:30 but still, no sidewalks. The trail eventually carried on through a bush area and it was just too early to go wandering that far, even for me.

I took pictures of more old homes but because I can't
(yet) connect them to the history, I won't post them
If they aren't in the books, they should be! They're awesome!
This barn is right in the heart of the town. 

When I returned, it was tea time and I joined Bill upstairs. He was all washed and dressed so I finished my tea and hopped in the shower. I had sorted clothes to do laundry but Susan had her load in. There is a washer/dryer set upstairs outside our room but it is small and I think she’d rather me use the big ones downstairs. I’d hate to have anything happen to the smaller ones so can easily wait. Maybe they leak or something! We have the whole weekend.

At the end of this street, is the mill that I found the other day
I'd never get lost!

It was around 9 that Wes started vacuuming, and Bill and I had ham and eggs for a mid-morning breakfast. We need to eat more bacon, the third of a pack in the fridge didn't look great, odd enough so that I wouldn’t take a chance on it. There was sliced ham to eat up so I fried it up instead. That tasted pretty good! A good substitute.

The Paisley elementary school

We cleaned up the dishes and I moved into the front room with my book. This book has me flipping pages quickly at times with anticipation and at other times, flipping many paragraphs just to skip info. Because it is related to Pakistan living, the author and ‘hero’ of the story uses a lot of foreign language to me to describe things. That doesn’t help to keep this reader interested, I don’t care to know the lingo, just give me the story.

The car wash is near the school

I have to admit that there are some ‘news’ type tidbits that I’ve learned during the time of Osama bin Laden and the 9/11 attacks and those are interesting and some very sad regarding the innocents over there. I am hesitant to recommend it but also hesitant not to. It is a true story. Wes and Susan headed out to shop and Bill finished vacuuming our room upstairs while I was engrossed. My sweetie worked on his hobby stuff for a while in the pool/game room until the detailed work had him ready for a nap.

And Victoria St. ended here

As you can see, Susan has changed to a Christmas themed table setting

While he slept in between trying to read his own book, I carried on with the laundry, 3 loads today! Each time I brought a load up, he would help fold and I was happy to have it finished. 

The part of the trail I walked this morning

And the part that I put off for another day

With the sun beating in the windows, I decided I needed to get out for another walk. The wind had picked up, as the forecasters said it would, so it felt cool as I walked past the adjoining streets. Hmm, the Christmas Bazaar/Market started yesterday and it was just down the street and across the bridge.

As i entered the Bazaar, I was soon impressed by how they'd set it up with
restrictions in mind

I stopped in and was pleased that I did. A lot of vendors tables with their homemade wares. Everything was priced and because of Covid and the small space, no ‘owners’ were sitting at their tables. You found what you wanted and paid at the back. I don’t usually buy at this type of market as I find the prices incredibly overpriced. Not that their efforts don’t justify the cost, but I just don’t pay a lot for anything. LOL If that makes sense.

There are 2 businesses here, but only one is currently rented for the Shoppe
If the one beside him doesn't rent out, he wants to expand
Looks like he has enough merchandise to do that

I did find a personal ornament for our tree for $7. Totally worth it, to me. When I left there, I crossed the street and popped into Roadrunner Collectibles. I should have taken a picture from outside as it is a very cool store. Again, nothing I need, but I had a nice chat with the owner who has just purchased the space this past summer with his wife. We had a couple of things in common and I hope to take Bill in some time to see his ‘stuff’ – you know, that we don’t need or have room for!

Walking back across the bridge, the sun's reflection on the dam
and river was gorgeous

Towards town, just before the bridge, an Antique store caught my eye so I popped in there. The owner apologized for the ‘chaotic’ mess of the place but to me, it was a delightful walk through. Things were organized so I don’t know what he pictures the place to look like. I didn’t find anything today but I did like a few things he had in his store. I’ll go back again, I’m sure. I didn’t know how long I’d been gone so texted Bill to tell him I was ok. He thought I was just walking and might get concerned if I was much longer.


The Cowan Canoe & Kayak is also for sale
along with the mill on the opposite bank

I didn’t walk any further but returned home to my sweetie. About 10 minutes later, Wes and Susan returned too. The rest of the day, I sat with a cup of tea and my book. Hoping to finish it. My daughter highly recommended a book to read so I placed it on HOLD at the library here. I’m hoping it will be in for pick up by Monday so I can move onto that one. Otherwise, I’ll be involved in one of my detective stories. Gotta’ have a book on the go or I don’t feel ‘complete’. 😊

At 5:30, I went down to start supper. Another guinea pig meal! Poor Bill, he is subjected to many new things with this Instant Pot. I cut up onions, garlic and sautéed them first in olive oil then added 1” chunks of 3 farmer sausages. The recipe called for turkey sausage which I don’t buy. When they were browning up nicely, after a couple of minutes, I added nice sized slices of 3 potatoes, then ¾ cup of frozen corn, Bill’s favourite vegetable.


Such a tall building here and only the corner main level is being used
by the town Realtor

Set for 4 minutes on Manual cook, with a Manual Release, I couldn’t believe everything was done. On Sauté once more, I stirred in a blend of cream and corn starch to thicken the ‘stew’. It had the substance of stew rather than a casserole so we served it up in large soup bowls. As I usually do, I added a big dab of butter to mine and it was delicious! Bill also liked it and said that he would definitely like it another time. Yay! it was an easy meal of ingredients I always have on hand. It was called Creamy Sausage and Potatoes (for IP or skillet).

This was a perfect meal for a cool day

For dessert, I got to test him with the chocolate-banana-raspberry pudding I made the other day. He isn’t fond of bananas (except in bread) so I was doubtful. Even a hint of banana flavour in a shake or smoothie causes his nose to curl. 😄 Before supper, I made another batch of whipping cream and suggested he pile it on. Ha ha. It took a few tastes but he warmed up to it and said he could help me finish the last 4 ramekins of it. I liked it because it was keto AND chocolate! We did the dishes and came upstairs at 6:30.

Along the sidewalk this morning, this blurred photo shows you
one of a few erected bird houses
I thought that was quite nice

There was another Christmas movie on tonight, two actually. The first one at 7 wasn’t for me but the second one at 9 was apparently more of something that I would enjoy. So says my Christmas movie expert. They weren’t interested in it so Bill and I will go down to the games room to watch it together. I finished working on my blog and then stretched out on the bed, I have a comfortable position all worked out, to finish the last chapter of Three Cups of Tea.


I also discovered a Villa of townhouse rentals
on Victoria Street that I didn't know was there

This was a good day. The temperature wasn’t great but the sun was shining and that is a bonus. Laundry is done for another week, I got our for a couple of walks, I met a couple of shop owners, I visited and supported the local Christmas Bazaar and I spent time with my one and only. What more is there? 😊 I hope you enjoyed your day too.

a sneak peak at an old stone house
I've yet to find out whether it is a historical home
They need to trim the evergreen though so we can see it better!
Good night!


Thanks for your visit!

13 comments:

  1. Regarding the town of Paisley, what was the main reason for starting the town way back when?? Was it the river trade, or farming, or the fur trade???
    Great photos of the buildings and your comments are top notch.
    Thank you.
    Don in Okla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the question! Why did they stop here? When Orchard arrived on the north bank and Rowe arrived on the south bank of the Saugeen, Orchard became focused on building a bridge so they could cross without using rafts. The first bridge that has been rebuilt once and repaired many times. It is still one of the 8 remaining today. As far as I've read so far, they were both business men and dabbled in many things. I'll have to see what I can find out!

      Delete
  2. Smart on your part to avoid that path, you really have to trust your instincts. Sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas bazaar and an antique store? Right up my alley, although I'm with you, have to watch what I buy cuz I have no more room!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoy your walks and the pictures you take. I love bazaar's, stores of any kind too, and even though I don't need anything I still enjoy looking. I love all of the houses, buildings, etc. You do a great job of getting out and moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri for 'walking' along with me. sometimes it is a push to get out there but since moving here, it hasn't been difficult at all. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm with Cheri, I so enjoy the virtual walks you're sharing with us. It certainly makes me think I need to consider visiting small(er) towns because they have a lot to offer.

    https://www.mamainastitch.com/light-frost-easy-blanket-sweater-crochet-pattern/ This is the link for the pattern for the sweater shrug I made. I used the Scarfie yarn they suggest but I'm sure any bulky (5) yarn would work for it. I did add additional 10 stitches to the chain row and made the rectangle 38-39 inches. My niece is quite tall so I wanted to ensure it would be a good size for her. It's an easy pattern with just half double crochets, with a twist. It works up quickly ...even if you do it twice like I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures once again! Love Christmas Bazzars and Antique stores! I Keep thinking I need to do some Christmas shopping but just not in the mood..I'll do what I can online I'm thinking. Dinner looks yummy! Perfect for a chilly day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice you were able to get your walks in yesterday.
    We've already had 69 MPH Gusts today.
    Be Safe and Enjoy staying cozy with Bill.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely and relaxing day. I must try that instant pot recipe, as I really do not use mine enough.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does sound like you had a good day. We did too.

    ReplyDelete