Sunday, October 16, 2022

After a Late Night, Laundry, Baking and Tires

The Ridge

On Sunday, Oct. 16th we all slept in until 8 o’clock. It was 10:30 when we arrived home last night after a fun evening and after watching a movie together, 12:30 when we crawled into bed. Not unusual for Bill but for me, almost unheard of! We arrived last night at Donna and Gerry’s in Hanover with Rob and Pat and had a brief chit chat downstairs.


Driving from the Mat

We hadn’t planned on a long or late evening so we moved upstairs by 7:30 to their lovely pool/game/bar room. I didn’t get pictures since I left my phone downstairs but it was a good evening. I taught them all to play Poker Pool, which was the main purpose. I’m hoping to set up a regular weekly game at Park Place starting in December and wanted to be very comfortable with the rules and procedures.


Some pretty dark skies out there this morning

Once we got into it, I think everyone enjoyed the game and Pat gave me a thumbs up for my 'teaching'. We all took our own drinks and I provided snacks so D & G didn’t have to. This was our idea, they just needed to provide the room, the pool table and accessories. 😊 Gibbs got to come along and he was a pretty good little guy, wandering around the table, between our legs and following us as we took turns taking our shots. We left shortly after 10.


Looking to the southwest, a clearing

That was the end of that bitter cold day. This morning wasn’t a lot better but the wind had died down at least, making it not feel quite so chilly. We sorted laundry and I took Black Beauty, our only wheels right now, into Durham to clean while the machines worked on our clothes. My young pal, Ryan, was there so we kept each other company while he finished up.

Back home, after Gibbs ran around outside,
he performed for us
Butt in the air, happy doggie
looking for attention 💖

I left within an hour and a half with fresh smelling laundry, folded and ready to be put away. Bill, while I was gone, was working in the Hangar, last minute stuff and could now actually load those cases, batteries etc. in the truck box/cab for transport. Inside, I dust mopped the floors and moved some ‘work’ clothes and a bag of shoes into the Bunky. I made room for a couple of drawers of craft stuff. 😊

2 drawers of craft stuff in my end of the closet

Minus a few hangers of clothes that went to the Bunky
Makes sense

We had lunch after Bill finished checking air pressure in the tires on the truck and the Suite. It is a bit challenging doing the inside dually wheels so might go to GBFS to have them top them up to his required number. He has learned what is best over the past 5 years of pulling and takes care to follow that. Bill had a blog to finish, I mentioned a few posts ago, so sat to do that while I baked some cookies.

Kaitlin's contribution to my cookies

Following her Recipe almost
I changed the sugar out for Splenda
and the brown sugar out for Splenda brown sugar

Kaitlin’s Pumpkin Snickerdoodles were a hit with Bill so she left me the recipe with a jar of her homemade pumpkin spice in the Mat office this morning. I tell ya, she’s a sweetie. So, while the dough was chilling for the pre-requisite hour, I started today’s blog post as well. It’s nice to read that some of our friends are on the road south, some have reached the warm temps already. 😊

Gibbs and I went for a walk
When the sun was out, it was warm but in the shadows
it was a tad cool

Gibbs followed his nose and I followed Gibbs

Patty and Duncan are in London, readying their transition from Airstream to boat as they cross the border in the wee hours tomorrow. Safe travels to all of you! We’ll soon be On Our Way too. Btw, that’s where you can check out Bill’s posting. This afternoon, Emma, Jamie’s daughter, is bringing out a bottle of their maple syrup so we are set for the winter. Well, maybe for another reason too.

Sometimes there were distractions

This was a stand off
A stare down

This is a pretty view
This cow was alone but quite content
Get it? Contented cow?

Sausages, potatoes and a veggie for supper will be relatively easy. I don’t like frying sausages inside, never have, because it is so messy. Plus, these are the second last meal with these Cowboy Sausages and I couldn’t even eat all of mine. Why do they have to be so spicy? We’re tossing the last two, blech. Bill loaded the dishwasher, washed the pots and I dried. The stove was a disgusting mess from all the spatter, another reason to barbecue when we can! 😊

Even the garden is changing colours
Can you see who got missed in the packup?
We'll see how he fares the winter. Serves him right for hiding.

the finished cookies - yum

Our little guy was so tired from all his running around
while we took care of outdoor things

The evening was quiet, with some Sunday night tv and I plugged away at my book. Earlier this afternoon, we sat and did a rough run through of a route to follow on Sunday. Nothing in stone but we’re getting close. Diesel prices are playing a big part in our travel.

This was the only upset of our day
These prices are ridiculous!
When I arrived at the Mat at 8:30, it was $2.19/litre
When I left, this is what I saw. Had to blink twice to clarify
it and take a picture.

Good night!

Thank you for taking the time for a visit!

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are coming together for your trip. I have a time limit with the Uhaul trailer so I've decided to just go my normal route by taking interstates all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are and quickly. I forgot you'd be getting a Uhaul. Makes sense.

      Delete
  2. It won’t publish my comment. Hmmmmm.
    Glad you folks had a great night together. There is something exciting about packing away all the summer things, isn’t there? Enjoy your last few days on The Ridge.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if you had a lovely evening. Getting closer to leaving time. Yes fuel prices are just crazy. Regular gas here is $1.85,9 a liter right now. And I live in oil country, with a refinery just 200 km away.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, fuel prices are nuts. It is playing a part in our direction and journey.

      Delete
  4. We are having a hard time understanding why diesel is so much more than gas!! It is playing into our travel plans as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate that we all have to scrimp just to meet the fuel needs. We don't understand it either.

      Delete
  5. Yum, your cookies look delicious! Puts me in the mood
    to bake tomorrow.
    Yes our gas prices here in Calif are probably worse,
    thanks to our governor !! So many people have to commute to work,
    it’s a hardship I’m sure.
    Happy you will travel anyway. Will be reading your posts!
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Happy baking! the weather here is right for it.
      I appreciate you following my blog!

      Delete
  6. Those fuel prices are so ridiculous! Diesel is running over a dollar more here than gas. Makes no sense whatsoever! OMG those pictures of Gibbs..he's so cute! Cookies look awesome! Your fall colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. Gibbs does steal the show, I can't stop taking pics of the little bum. ♥

      Delete
  7. At least fuel prices will be cheaper for you here!! I do love anything pumpkin, guess I should get out my recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a lovely evening for everyone (Gibbs included).
    I have to say, you've got a very decent sized closet. Your readiness to be on the move shortly seems to be coming together nicely. If your garden critter is made of resin it will be fine, but if it's concrete it will likely shatter in the cold...at least that's been my experience.
    Hopefully the price of fuel starts coming down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. The picture of the closet is only my half. :) We are very lucky there!
      Yes, the froggy is made of resin so I'm glad he'll be okay. Thanks for that.

      Delete