Thursday, October 20, 2022

And it Happened- Taste of Winter

The Ridge

When I went up to the bedroom to watch a tv program at 9:30 last night, it was already white outside. Bill opened the door to let Gibbs out and I heard “Snow!” It was expected so not a surprise. It happened. This morning, Thursday, Oct. 20th, it was white but it didn’t look like much was added overnight. When you get 0C/32F temperatures, the sky opens up to more than rain.

We woke up to this

So, we got up around 7:30 and sorted the few laundry items we had plus our sheets, chair covers and placemats. Let’s get everything done now as it will be over a week before we do it again. Bill loaded the empty water bottle and propane tank and we were in town around 8:15. The lot was full at the Mat, including Kaitlin’s GMC Denali.

Gibbs is trying to figure it all out 💗

Bill carried our basket in and we were surprised that only the ‘boss’ was there. That meant a lot of the others were transport vehicles to bring children to the bus stop, which happens right outside the building on Main St. The Mat looked pretty clean and when I checked the calendar, found that Sage had been in last night. At least the floors looked like they’d been swept and washed and machines were in good condition.

The trees down the lane turned
into a horror movie

My cleaning routine today was sporadic, after putting the clothes into 3 washers, we bounced around a bit with Kaitlin, tying up last minute things. Yup, this was my last day. I don’t mind the reprieve from cleaning every other day but I will miss that sweet gal. She makes me laugh, we have fun together and seem to read each other’s minds a lot! 😊 K paid me but was also overly (unnecessarily, I might add) kind with a gift card. Thank you, Hamiltons, that will be helpful!

Back home, we had company
first time they've been up here!

I passed over my keys for the winter and ‘innocently’ mentioned being needed in the spring??? I wasn’t really worried but with Beth taking over my duties for the next 5 months, you just never know! I was adamantly reassured that I’d be more than welcome back, which made me feel pretty good and pretty special. Bill nipped out to get the propane and water while I finished up. After a few hugs, we parted ways with Kaitlin.

19 wild turkeys
Neither one of us called the meeting
Up the berm, onto and over the fence to
the field behind us

It’s a bitter cold day out there so we streamlined back home and got our clothes put away. The bed will get remade later in the afternoon. We had lunch and I worked away at our chili for the journey. I think it was 3 meals’ worth that I got from the stew so another 3 or 4 of chili will be ample. When it was releasing naturally, our company arrived.

This afternoon, things looked better

Gayle and John stopped over for a nice visit and to say ‘Adios’ and ‘Safe travels’. We enjoyed a hot drink together and caught up on our journey’s. They are hoping to pull out in 3 weeks. I removed the lid from Madame IP after they left letting the chili cool. Yum, it smells pretty good! We’ve had some wet snow, rain and heavy clouds so it isn’t surprising that we don’t get much above 3C/37F all day.

Gibbs likes his 'Aunties'

For supper, we had a choice. Either chili or something from the freezer. There was nothing that ‘had’ to be eaten, in other words, no more chicken, so we’ll play it by ear. By ear, turned into Bill having a bowl of chili and I had some of the leftover spaghetti and meatballs. There was only one meatball left so it didn’t taste as good as if there was ground beef throughout the sauce. We had the last of the pie for dessert.

Supper tonight

After cleaning up the dishes, we went up together to make the bed. So much easier with 4 hands instead of 2. 😊 Then we watched Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy until something else came on at 8. This was a cold, but aside from the weather, a pleasant day. Seeing my sister and brother-in-law was very nice too. Gibbs was a bit hyper to begin with but settled down nicely.

This view is from Oct. 20/2018
Good night!

Thank you for popping by!

9 comments:

  1. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!! At least it melted fast! The chili looks yummy. Extra money is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter is coming soon. The weather should be fine for heading south. I won't be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is just around the corner and ours will be warm, won't it? :) I could throw you a sky hook!

      Delete
  3. I do feel sorry for those of you up on the highlands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our first snow fall is supposed to happen on Monday. Not looking forward to it at all. Looks like I will be starting the hearty meals very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, your first will be as short as ours was! :) Although hearty meals are great!!

      Delete
  5. Somehow I missed this post from yesterday. I guess the snow is reminding you how happy you'll be to get away from it. (I'm off to read today's post).

    ReplyDelete