Friday, October 21, 2022

Autumn Shows its True Colours

The Ridge

On Friday, Oct. 21st it was like a blanket had been lifted and autumn was back. 😊 It was already 3C/38F when we got up at 7:30. That was warmer than it got all day yesterday and that makes us happy. There was nothing on the agenda this morning but let me tell you that my awakening was brightened when I opened the back blinds and saw the sky!


We had breakfast, our cereal, right away, mine with half a banana and our hot drinks. I worked on my Wordle games and around noon put our last 3 eggs in Madame IP. With the coffee just finished, I wasn’t too hungry for lunch so finished the banana, had some cheese and yogourt. At 12:30, I left the boys at home and drove into Durham.

It was quite windy but still a lovely day

I have to admit to being concerned about
this lady
I've never seen a cow lay on their side like this
for so long - but she was fine!

We walked past Baptist Church down the hill
before turning back

We decided on picking up a loaf of bread after all so we can have toast when we want it. So, at Foodland I got the bread and some sweet and sour sauce for the cupboard. We can’t find the VH sauce down in Arizona and their ‘substitute’ is not a close second even. I saw Ryan, my laundromat buddy, and he wished us a safe journey before I left. Then I drove to the Durham Town Hall to their Book Sale.

Where are you going now, Gibbs?

Yeah, you!

The ladies deserve medals for being the best greeters, they are so nice and helpful. I offered them the book I just finished and it was like a $100 gift the way she lit up. The sale is by donation only so they are grateful for anything they get. 😊 I filled my bag with first 2 1000-pc puzzles for this winter and then 9 other books. None of the books were on my Goodreads ‘want to read’ list but they all look great.

Gibbs found a bottle and it kept him out of the ditch
all the way home

I tucked the puzzles under the bed and kept 3 books to take along as well. Back home, I put together the egg salad for a few sandwiches. Bill was into a movie so we watched the last of it before we made a tour to 3 of our neighbours to say toodle-ooh. M was one of them. Unfortunately, we only caught Margaret and Shawn at home next door and neither Meagan or her hubby were home.

The Book Sale 
with lots to offer

Oh well, I have their info and will text a quick note to her. We stopped at M’s and chatted with him for a short while and then returned home. Back at home, we relaxed until it was time to make supper so I sliced half of the remaining little potatoes, cut up some squash for me and with fish in the oven, managed to have everything cooked at pretty much the same time. The fries were really good – well, everything was! 😊

These look like fun, don't they?

The same can be said about these books

I went through the freezer to double-check on the items in there and the only thing that needs to come out are the two baggies of lemon slices. We have company, Rob and Pat, coming tonight for one final visit this year so she has offered to take the lemon. It is not admissible to go into the U.S. because we don’t grow them here. Oh well.

Saying goodbye to the illusive M, my auto shop boss

We cleaned up the dishes and loaded the dishwasher and prepared for a nice evening chat with our buddies. Rob and Pat arrived just before 7 and as always, we had a few real laughs together. Gibbs was his normal active self, eventually accepting that our friends weren't mountains to be climbed upon - well, he kind of accepted that! Good thing they love him! 💗

This has been a wonderful day! The weather has been gorgeous with a high of 16C/61F and only going down to 8C/46F overnight. That’s more like it! I hope you’ve enjoyed your day too!

supper was good

The sun sets and the day draws to a close
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely day! Glad the weather smartened up for you. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad winter didn't stay around, hopefully the weather stays nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The weather should be good for us now. We won't dawdle too much.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sunrise. Looks like you have everything under control . I could never read all those books and the puzzles are way over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So,after all your thorough prep ,have a safe journey & the forecast looks the most promising in a while- the Gibbs will happily supervise from the back seat.Oh yes,my sausages are always done in the air fryer,lol.All the best.A James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, things are under control and the weather is perfect. Gibbs is a great back seat driver! haha I love my air fryer!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy library book sales. Such wonderful bargains to be had.

    It looks like you had a wonderful day.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love those sales too. They are happy with whatever we give and circulate the books.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful sunrise pics! Dinner looks awesome! Too bad Rob and Pat aren't headed south with you two! Looks like awesome books you got! Sounds like you're ready to roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Shirley. We wish Rob and Pat were coming too. I got some good books, hope they are as good as they look! :)

      Delete
  7. The cow is resting up. She appears to be very prego!!! They rarely lay all the way down like that. Poor baby!! Gibbs found another treasure ... good for him!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. I was very worried and just watched her for a while. I'm glad she's okay, she was very fat! Gibbs carried the bottle all the way home. ♥

      Delete
  8. All ready to go... enjoy your journey! You'll enjoy those books and puzzles. I love puzzles and often do them on my phone or computer in the evenings, as I'm not much for watching TV, unless it is home improvement. I hope your travel day is as nice as this day was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheri for the comment and the wishes. I like to do puzzles on my phone too, one a day. :)

      Delete