Friday, October 14, 2022

Quiet Days, Pumpkin ‘Fest’, Cold and Windy

The Ridge

On Friday, Oct. 14th it was another sleep-in morning. I got up around 7:45 by pushing myself to get out from under the warm covers. It was a chilly 15C/62F out there and cooler downstairs. I made a tea and headed into town to clean at 8. The place was empty but needed some attention. One customer came in within 15 minutes but he wasn’t very chatty, barely got a ‘good morning’ response to my cheerfulness. ๐Ÿ˜‰

A beautiful morning

I was out of there around 9 and on the way home. The sky was looking better than what the weather was giving, not expected to get much above 7C/45F all day. Brrr. Today, was to be a quiet day but when Bill and Gibbs went to the Acreage to get a bladder of water (our last one since it filled us to overflowing), he and Gerry decided to meet around noon to winterize their Landmark 5th wheel and close the water pump for the season.

I drive slow along here, watching
for deer but didn't expect the wild turkeys

They were home from getting water before me and Gibbs had fun running around while his Daddy did what he had to do with the water. I had a bowl of cereal and finished my tea. We decided that we’d take Ptooties to Murrays right away instead of after lunch. The insurance comes off today. It was a straight drive, there and back, Gibbs riding in Black Beauty. I followed and could see his little head popping up and down in front of me. Bill dropped us at home at 11 and went to meet Gerry.

Ptooties waiting to be ushered into the barn

While he was gone, I cut up the last pumpkin, which happened to be the white one. I’ve never had a ghost pumpkin before so I have to admit to being surprised that it was white inside too. Silly me, didn’t know what to expect. I can’t imagine a pumpkin pie with white filling. 

The pumpkin process
Some boiled in peeled cubes
Some baked with skins on in halves
Some microwaved in uniform pieces, skin on
Trust me, they are much easier to peel that way!

Anyway, I managed to get it all cooked, in 3 different manners trying to find the easiest, and pureed. All online recipes say to bake it either full, halved or in pieces with skin on. But for the second batch, I parboiled it. I think I’ve got 8 baggies in the freezer.

Gibbs and I managed to get a walk in
The sun was nice but that wind was still cold
I'm stubborn and didn't want to get my winter coat out

The sky was deceiving

The day wasn’t getting any/much warmer and the strong winds didn’t help with that. We were lucky to reach 9C/48F even with the few sunny breakouts. Today was definitely the day to clean things up at the Acreage, the rest of the week is colder still and wet. 

If you can see both Canadian flags,
you'll agree about the wind

For supper tonight, we had meatballs in a Bull’s Eye bbq sauce, rice and peas. It was quite good and a nice change.


Sleepy time
All that running around outside

We cleaned up dishes and watched tv until bedtime. Last night, I was having issues with my laptop and was unable to open up my blog or Facebook pages. I didn’t think to shut it down (standard direction “did you reboot?”) but Bill suggested it this morning and it worked. My blogs have been delayed before so I don’t sweat it. I was in bed before 9:30 last night and won’t be much later tonight.

The wild grass blows in those winds
good night!

Thank you for stopping by, this was another good day!

4 comments:

  1. We barely reached 11C today and with the slight breeze we had it was pretty cool outside for my morning walk.

    Good for your on getting those pumpkins done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cook pumpkin the easy way ... I just buy a can. Let us know if it tastes better homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been cool and very windy here too. Nothing much good in the forecast either.
    Did you know that pumpkin is also good for dogs? Apparently it's beneficial in small doses for diarrhea or constipation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Nancy's method. It works pretty good.

    ReplyDelete