Saturday, August 8, 2026

On the Go, Bill Helps Robin, Being a Lion

The Ridge

On Saturday, Aug. 8th I was up at 6:45 and sorted laundry. It was a short work week for Bill so there weren't a lot of clothes, 2 small loads. I was in the Mat by 7:15. Again machines were running, one customer and his little girl were just loading a machine.

Good morning!
5 more!

Two others arrived as I was finishing my cleaning and putting our clothes in the dryer. The day was to be rain, thunder storms, repeat, repeat. Well, I've given the weatherpeople credit for being bang on lately but today, they were more wrong than right. 

Yesterday I told Bill the cows
need to be out to eat the grass.
Today, there they were. 

When I finished at the Mat, I drove around to the house Robin has rented out to see how Bill was making out, tearing up the upstairs carpet. When I pulled in, Robin pulled in at the same time and we both went up to see how he was managing., She was there to work, me - not. 🤭

This is an old house and Robin
has tenants needing to move in on the 16th.
Short notice for her to get it ready but she
hated to turn them away.

I hung around for almost an hour, playing with and holding that little Mildred, and then left for home before 10. She wanted to go with me but I had to sneak out without her. Back home, Gibbs didn't seem to notice any 'Mildred' smells on me so that's good. He got his own little rubs and pets. 💕

The entrance (panelling!)
and the nice large living room.
I love the bannister.

I called the man who won Catch the Ace last night as I had to meet him in Holstein (a small town 20 minutes south) to issue him his cheque for $535. Again, I was filling in for someone else to pick up yesterday and to deliver today. A new Lion's experience for me.

Mildred and I admiring
the old registers.
Robin puts dryer sheets in them
for a nice smell throughout.

The carpet and underlay gets deposited
on the porch until they're done.
Mildred liked the soft foam on the landing
until they took it away.
Can you see her?

As it turned out, I'd finished my lunch as I was waiting for him to let me know when a good time was to meet him. Bill was still with Robin so she bought him lunch in town and they carried on. At 1:30 I drove to Holstein General Store and did my duty. 😉

Lo and behold, look at who 
was in our laneway when I
returned home.
I didn't know her direction so
drove around her.

At 1:30 I drove the 20 minutes
to Holstein.

The forecasted rain came and went a few times, sometimes heavy while I drove but mostly just a nuisance for the windshield wipers. 

Wayne was meeting me here
at the general store for his cheque.

On the way back to Durham, I dropped next weeks tickets at West Grey Premium Beef as well. I was perusing in the butcher's freezer and saw Flat Iron steak so we'll be going back. 

TCB
Taking Care of Business
for the Lion's.
I borrowed Bill's shirt as 
my yellow one is.....well,
not a fav.

Back in town, I stopped again to see the 'workers' but especially to visit Mildred. She seems to like me. Bill needed a cold drink so I went to Tim Horton's and picked us up a drink each, hung around for another while and then closed the door (😢) on Mildred and came home.

Driving home when I heard
about the storm warnings.
Out my north facing windows,
(2 pics on the right)
I could see the black clouds.

I don't think Gibbs would leave her alone, she's so tiny, or I might have stolen her! 🤭🤣 There was a storm warning soon after I returned and the clouds to the north west confirmed that but after some wind, heavy rain for 5 minutes, it passed us by. Phew!

No rainbow but rain, blue sky
and sun at the same time.

Bill came in before 4 pm. and hopped in the shower. It was pretty hot upstairs in that old house, even with 3 fans running. Robin was still there when he left. For supper, we had fish, fries and onion rings. So, I tried the oven for the fries and rings but they still didn't crisp up. 🤷‍♀️ Oh well.

This must be a day for return
visitors.
First, the turtle, then the Baltimore Oriole.
Cathy said they might come back so
I put the jam and oranges out yesterday.
There he is!

They were still tasty, we both said our eyes were bigger than our stomachs though. 🤭 Little piggies tonight, we were. Another wee bit of rain but the air temperature dropped considerably before supper so we turned the a/c off and opened windows again.

Supper was okay but way
too much.

It should be a lovely night for sleeping and daytime tomorrow 'should' be hot and dry. I'm hoping for a nice day. This was a productive day for both of us and Bill has logged hours with Robin. He enjoyed working with her on that place even though hotter than blazes. 

A memory from 2022
Aug. 8th.
Rose, George, Ken and Kim 
for Happy Hour.
Good night!

Thank you for the visit today. Temperatures fluctuated from 18C/65F to 26C/79F and back to 20C/69F.

No comments:

Post a Comment