Thursday, January 9, 2020

Arizona Market with the Boys, Small Expenditures, Movie Time with Bill


Pilot Knov RV Resort, Winterhaven, CA
Thursday, Jan. 9th was a day with a new plan. Bill and I were taking Keith and Dave to the Arizona Market for their first time. They loved Los Algodones, the atmosphere, the vendor stalls and the food so we were pretty sure they would enjoy this slower paced flea market too. I tagged along today though. It was a windy morning making the 51F seem a tad cooler but with a mostly clear sky.

Forgive the dirty windshield but this is my first shot
of today's sunshine as we pulled into Arizona Market
We always advise first timers of the covered tents and open ends which allow cool/cold air to blow in. Dress reasonably warm, we say. We were up before 7 and each had our showers, coffee and tea. Neither of us were hungry at 8 so didn’t eat. We picked the boys up at 8:30 at their sites and had a leisurely drive across to the market. Arriving at 9 is a great time, the parking lot is never anywhere near full and you can walk through each row unencumbered.

As we arrived and throughout our hour and a half at the market
the military jets were doing constant flyovers
That is what Dave is looking at
Boy, were they loud!!
Bill and I split up right away as did the other two. I wanted to replace my brown sun hat with a new one because of the material. I like my old one but it has more straw-like material than the newer nylon/plastic ones. The straw has been catching my hair each time I take the hat off so I was on the hunt. For $6 how can anyone go wrong with a nice flat-back hat for sitting in a chair? It didn’t take me long, tried on about 4 after choosing a colour and had the help of another female customer. Perfect!

I managed to capture oneof the fighter jets before
he disappeared from sight


It is a great time to be at the market if you don't like crowds
and waiting in line for service
That hat paid for itself as I received 3 gentlemen's compliments and a few approving looks as I walked through the tents. Ha ha, that is always nice to hear and especially after just buying a new hat! Apparently, I made a good choice! 

My old one is still in okay shape, so maybe for garden working at home

But the new one is easier on my hair
and looks prettier
I found a few things at Wally’s World for the kitchen and then at another booth, I found large towel clips. These were seen quite a lot on the beach in Akumal and around the pool to hold towels to chair backs. I’ve wanted some ever since.

A bunch of big chair clips

I also needed a bell for my bike
Got it!
This is an illusion
A quick look at the squash looks like it is standing on end
Lastly, I bought a couple of peppers and the smallest spaghetti squash I could find for $2 total. When I was done wandering all of the rows, I sat in one of the food courts in the sun and waited until the guys were done. Both Dave and Keith found some nice deals and came out with a bag or two. 

Bill and Keith are just dark shadows as they head in the other direction
Bill purchased some roof sealing tape that he will use on the next calm day in the hope of sealing the ‘not-so-imaginary’ leak we’ve witnessed in our hall closet.

Lots of vendors sell the same things
but prices can vary so shop around
We left there and drove to the Honda ‘toy’ store so Keith could buy a shorter atv whip for on the dunes and then to a Chevron to fill a portable gas can. The guys were happy that we were going to Fry’s grocery store and we all came out with some purchases there too. We loaned them one of our points cards to get in on any of the available deals that they could. Lastly, just before heading back home, Bill drove to the Yuma Palms Mall to J.C. Penney’s. Our pick up order was ready. 2 new bath sheets and 2 hand towels to match the others we bought in-store.

When we returned home, you can see the wind speed
in the top right corner of our weather station
23 mph and teeny tiny print shows 24 mph in the last hour
It took longer than I’d planned and longer than it should of because of one person in front of me. Grrr! Never fails. She was trying to return two things that were showing up nowhere on her receipt or her credit card. Personally, I think she was trying to pull a fast one and who knows? Maybe she got away with it as she walked out with the two items in a new bag. Come to think of it, they weren’t in a bag in the first place, just loose in her cart. LOL

These red breasted birds are all around our site
But I still don't know what they are
Do you?
 It was 12:30 before we left the mall because of the delay but everyone was happy for the morning outing. These guys love flea markets! Dave frequents our Keady Market back home near Owen Sound too, so that’s interesting. Bill and I each had a coffee and bacon and eggs for breakfast. It tastes quite good when I’m hungry even if I do have to prepare it myself! Bill suggested putting the dishes in the dishwasher to utilize it once before we leave here.

Look at that little pose as she/he looks in the window at us
Then we sat. One of the things I was going to purge is a lap table. Our neighbor back home, when we had our sticks and bricks home, gave it to me. She was down-sizing and I thought it would come in handy. Needless to say, it got stored at the end of the sofa and I forgot about it. Never used it. After getting things ready for the ‘sale that didn’t happen’ yesterday, I decided to keep it and try it with my laptop in my chair.

And then a profile pose for us
Today, that is what I’m typing on. Perfect! Also, with these new chairs, it has a nice easy reachable storage area right behind me. Clouds are rolling in now, around 2:00, and with the 22-25 mph winds, I’m encouraged to stay right here inside. Bill had a little snooze and I started my blog post for the day. I moved on to organizing my pictures into folders. Then I began looking at pictures from our 2011 trip out west. 

I had a nice creamy Iced Coffee Chata
while watching the movie
Looking at the pictures of Winterset, Iowa with both of us at the famous Roseman Bridge, I had to watch the movie.  So, I pulled out our copy of Bridges of Madison County and told Bill I wanted to watch it. I could have gone upstairs if he wasn’t interested but he was. He loves that movie almost as much as I do. So, we closed blinds and had a drink together watching Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep fill our screen with some very touching moments. *sigh*

Meryl (Francesca) and Clint (Robert)
When the movie was over, we decided it would be easy to reheat the meatloaf and clean it up tonight. The wind was very strong, now reaching gusts of 31 mph, too strong to barbecue so Weber remained sitting on the ground where we put him before the garage sale set up. I fried mushrooms and warmed a can of brown beans. I know they aren’t keto but for tonight, we made the exception and it filled us. We didn’t need dessert.

Me at the Roseman Bridge in 2011
The cafe that was in the movie
This is on Main Street, Winterset, Iowa

Me, sitting on Clint's stool

And there he is, as Robert, on the same one
Why is everyone looking at me?
We’ll do a big grocery shopping trip on Monday or Tuesday before leaving the park and salad will be included on that list. Today, we just got the ‘must haves’, creamer, milk and some yogourt. Supper went down well and we put the dishes in the dishwasher and set it to run. It needs to be used occasionally and we haven’t used it since we arrived here in the park. This was a great day. Those are really stacking up! The morning was busy and we enjoyed scooting around the market again.

A very filling meal tonight
Good night everyone!
I hope you enjoyed your day and that you didn’t get blown away! Especially, I say that to our friends out in the desert!

Thank you for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. We didn't make it to the Yuma Market this year for some reason. Looks like it's pretty quiet out there. I think the winds are everywhere today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do enjoy the Arizona Market. First thing in the morning it is usually quiet. It was busier when we left which I'm glad for. We want them to have interest!

      Delete
  2. We could not believe the wind when we got back out this way this afternoon.
    Definitely a cute hat! That Frappa Chata sounds like a nice little "adult" treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is nuts on some days! Thank you, I like the hat too. :)
      It is a nice adult drink Deb made with real cream so i feel justified! Ha!

      Delete
  3. My guess is your little red breasted bird is a House Finch.
    It was windy in Palm Springs today too. The first windy day we've had all week though.
    Good idea to stock up on groceries before heading to Q.
    Nice to check out prices at the Yuma Marketplace. They may or may not be less at Q.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave for the bird id. It isn't tiny like our finches back home but I'll Google it to get a better look.
      Yes, it was too windy. Seemed to be building up to it the day before. Hopefully it is done now.
      We try not to buy food in the Q and other than the odd thing seem to get through.
      The prices at the A M vary from one end to the other as well! :)

      Delete
  4. Watching a movie sounds like a great way to spend a windy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the Yuma Marketplace. I always find stuff there. Those jets? That's the sound of freedom. I love hearing them overhead. Funny, but I'm on the lookout for a tiny table for the end of my couch that won't get in the way of the drawers. Figured I would try to find it in the marketplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jets were very loud and yes, I agree, Freedom! I like that.
      We'd like a table between our new chairs but it has to be so small, no one makes them like that. Didn't see any at the AM yesterday for us. Probably we'll make or get one made back home.

      Delete
  6. Love your new hat, that's adorable! I love Bridges of Madison County too! Nice that you introduced more people to the marketplace, I love that place! I've never seen those towel clips but I would love to get some..love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. One of my fav movies for sure. I always cry because I don't know what I want her to do. :)
      Keith and Dave really enjoyed the market.
      The towel clips are a great idea. (and cheap)

      Delete
  7. Good deals! I'm staying indoors as much as possible but not because of the wind...it's freaking cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to suggest Purple Finch based on the photos, but House Finch is the more common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I've googled a red breasted house finch and that is it exactly. :)

      Delete
  9. My guess on the bird is a house finch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JudithK. That is exactly what it is. I appreciate everyone's knowledge. :)

      Delete