Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Stinger “B” Departure, Pop-In Visitor, A Last Trip Through Tyson Wells

Quartszite, AZ

On Tuesday, Jan. 28th Bill was up way before me. It was before 5 am. I didn’t make it downstairs until closer to 6:30. It had been a fairly warm night for sleeping and Bill turned our Blue Flame heater on when he got up just to take the morning chill off. This morning it was 50F when we headed out for our walk so no need to bundle quite so much. We knew our friends were leaving between 8 and 9 but figured we would be back on time for a proper goodbye. We headed to the north on the west side of the main road.

good morning
We turned around after reaching a mile marker on my Fitbit and came back south on Main. We waved at Dave this morning although who knows if he saw us go by today. I made my tea and while sitting inside with Bill, we noticed some light coming in from under our big kitchen slide out. What the heck? Upon examination outside, Bill found that one of the 5” rollers had come off and thankfully was sitting on the edge tucked under the rubber. It was lifting the rubber letting light in. Well, what next?? LOL

the pink mountains to the west

I can't resist turning around to see the sunrise
Luckily, it in no way deters the movement of our slide and other than marking the outer floor area, it should be okay until we return. Knowing Bill and the guys, they may have other ideas. There is also one other roller that has popped out at one end of the bracket. If you have slide outs like this, you’ll understand. Otherwise, sorry for the confusing garble. This is the second issue that we’ve noticed and so Bill immediately called our reliable service gal, Peggy, back at CanAm and made an appointment.

You can't see the light here but this is the slide
Then we all stepped out to wish Tom and Deb safe travels on the next leg of their journey. It was a few minutes after 9 so they were pretty much bang on their flexible schedule to depart. They don’t have far to go today so Deb drove the Jeep behind the coach. This is our last day here in this area so there are a few small things we wish to do in town and then, of course, some packing up.

See you guys!

there goes the Stinger "B"
Around 9:30 Bill and Keith left, one more time, for the Quartzsite flying field. Keith has a newly repaired plane again and wants to test fly it. Because it is a gas engine, he wants to do it in a safe area. The electrics you can pretty much fly anywhere, within reason, but not the gas ones. 

When we returned from town
Then there were 3
Our group is dwindling
I chatted with Kim and Ken for a bit before coming inside for another brew and to finish my book. Which I did. I updated My Books on Goodreads and dug out my next read. Cross country by James Patterson. Alex Cross will take me on another page-turning adventure.

This fence at the Chevron fuel station is quite unique
As I was inside, I watched a large truck pull in, up to our Suite. Hmm. When the man got out, he immediately sounded friendly and said ‘you don’t know me, but I’m friends with Rick and Kathy’. I was relieved that it was someone with a connection. Wayne seems to be a nice man and I had read his and Sue’s name on Rick’s blog.

the Big Tent's sides come down
 He basically wanted to chat with us about Bill’s dental experiences in Algodones. After talking for a few minutes, I suggested he come back when Bill is here and he can give him directions to Dr. Eva’s office. We are all in the same boat and value each other’s experiences relating to the work done and the cost. Bill can certainly tell him what he knows. After Wayne left, I pulled a cauliflower out of the fridge. It needed to be dealt with before it goes bad.


I found a recipe that I’d saved for cauliflower crust pizza and with the exception of a handful of the florets, I chopped it into tiny pieces. I would eat the rest for supper one night. That took a bit of time and I knew that I could (and may yet) use my blender to rice it even smaller. Right now, this was enough. It then went back in the fridge. I put a few more things away for our move in the morning and changed into my shorts. It was getting quite warm! 😊

The vendors are packing their wares and their tents up
When Bill and Keith got home, around 11:30 I think, we were all happy to hear that his plane flew well. Bill warmed up the leftover sausage and waffles from yesterday and I had some yogourt and cottage cheese. We took a run into town for fuel and a couple of small items. Surprisingly, a lot of the tents and vendors have closed up shop and left. Many were in the process. We were disappointed that one in particular had left as we’d planned to pick up some gifts there. Hmmm, we’ll have to rethink that idea.

Cute!
Around 1:30, I cut up an apple with a couple of slices of sharp cheddar cheese for my lunch. I chatted with Kim for a bit and took her the Godmothers book that I’d finished. She may or may not like it. We sat outside on our patio while Bill puttered around packing the Weber Q, table, lights, etc. up. Ken joined us and that was when Keith told us he was taking the quad out for a run ‘over there, on those trails’, he said. With a promise to stop, honk and wave, off he went. Oreo was quite content on their patio and slept mostly while he was gone. Wayne returned briefly and talked to Bill, got the info he needed and was off again. We wish him good luck with Dr. Eva Urena, we hope he is pleased with her.
The elephant water tower at the Big Tent parking
Dave and Cheryl stopped by for a quick hug goodbye but they didn’t stay. They’ve had a busy visiting day as well. Life as a retiree can keep you moving! It was around 4:30 or so that Keith returned, being towed back to camp. He broke a belt up there on the mountain and luckily was with someone who helped him get back safely. 
Discussing repairs to the quad

There are many nice people out here and they like to help in any way they can. I was being a Mom and starting to worry about him so glad to see he was fine. They boys helped him a bit getting the belt off and around 5:45 Kim and I parted ways to get supper in motion.


The sky was gorgeous again just after the sun set. Wowsa! I had earlier told Bill to put the bbq away as I’d pulled our last container of homemade chili out of the freezer. That freed up space and made for an easy peasy supper. I toasted our last two burger buns and that was our meal tonight. It was very good! I’d forgotten how good that batch of chili turned out. There was only enough for two though or I would have happily shared with Keith. He’d had a rough afternoon.



We took care of dishes and I sat to finish my post. Tonight, being Tuesday, we recorded a couple of programs and relaxed for the evening. It is interesting to note that at 6:30, it was still fairly light out. The days are getting longer again. Yay! This was a good day for our last one here. It will be weird for Kim and Ken, but perhaps very nice, to be alone for a couple of days before they also pull out. They were the first to arrive and the last to leave with a lot of ‘guests’ in between.

Chili on toast
Good night
Thank you for stopping in to see what we’re up to. Having fun, that’s what!

11 comments:

  1. My first comment seems to have disappeared or something so I'll try once more. The rock fence at the station belongs to a friend of mine. She's called the crazy rock lady of Quartzite. Too bad you are leaving as I could get you a tour as I'll be down that way soon. She has a huge collection of rocks and is only rock crazy.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes losiing comments happen to me too. Frustrating.
      Well, I'm glad I took a picture. Each time we're there I look at it.
      Sorry that we'll miss you again.

      Delete
  2. Awww so sad to see Q coming to an end. Not so much the big tent, but the vendors leaving means it's all over for another year. I know your feeling about rig repairs, I'm going in for jack repairs, probably in the $4,000 range. Yikes!! Dinner looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to see the vendors leave. We didn't think these on Kuehn would go so soon. :(
      Luckily, with our extended warranty, we will be covered for repairs. Phew!
      Dinner was easy and delicious!

      Delete
    2. Looks like the group is quickly dwindling. Wish everyone a safe trip. Glad Keith had someone to help him. I've never had to help someone with a quad before but have the equipment if ever needed.

      Delete
  3. That was quite the day! Glad to see you will be covered for repairs, seems it's always something with these RV's isn't it?! Glad Keith was able to get towed back. You just never know what can happen, always good to have a buddy along! Dinner looked yummy, nice to have stuff in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about having a buddy along. I worry about Keith when he goes alone so he met up with some good folk.
      That was the last dish of chili so I'm going to have to creative now!

      Delete
  4. Glad you finally met Wayne. We met him the first winter we spent in La Posa South and have been keeping in touch since. He is the one that helped us figure the problem with our Truck last year when the Mechanics couldn't do it as he does most of his own mechanical work on his Diesel. He's also good at working on Quads.
    Good thing Kieth was with a buddy otherwise he could have never made it back safely.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy your next adventure.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wayne seems like a really nice guy. I'm sure his info was valuable. ;)
      Keith was lucky and very happy for the help.

      Delete
  5. I'm guessing you're travelling today, so safe travels!

    ReplyDelete