Saturday, January 4, 2020

Loving the Heat, Quiet Times, Pool Time, Happy Hour


Pilot Knob RV Resort, Winterhaven, CA

I didn’t sleep well last night. I was in bed by 10 and dropped off immediately, as far as I know. But then I woke at 12:30, seemingly wide awake. What the?? I tried to think what I’d eaten or drank that I could blame. We hadn’t eaten anything since 5:30 so I was a loss to justify the restless night. I know it was a couple hours of tossing and turning, multiple times, before I next dropped off.


This morning, Saturday, Jan. 4th, I woke at 5:30 and rolled over curling closer to Bill. He was awake too but seemed to have slept well (at least the whole time I was awake!). We got up around 6:30 and had our brew together before hitting the gravel for our walk. A lovely day is coming up with little to no wind again and I’m hoping for more pool time. We are looking for 72F/23C today, mid afternoon so that makes us all smile.

Good morning!
Bill and I completed 1 ½ miles today and during our walk we took the time to stop and wish Keith and Oreo a good morning. Back home, Bill had his second coffee and I sat at my laptop to install some Microsoft updates before beginning today’s post. Yesterday, I didn’t write one word of it until after we got back from supper. That wasn’t fun, as I was tired and almost gave up and left it until this morning. I won’t do that again, if I can help it.




Not missing an opportunity, Bill took his plane and went out for a morning fly. With my zoom at 24X I was able to capture a few pictures of him, and his little Timber. Wanting to switch things up, I wondered what I could make today for breakfast so I searched my folder of recipes in Word. Hmm, crustless quiche sounds good. I know I've made it a lot and once in particular for Bill to try. I enjoy it for a change and he ate it but it wasn’t a favourite.

Before
The difference might be because I added spinach and feta cheese. This time, I’m going to make it with just green onions, celery and peppers plus the cheese and eggs of course. And ‘this’ time, Madame IP is going to help me rather than our convection oven. I hope! Without even going online to ask Google, I got brave. There is an egg function on my machine but I’ve never used it, not even for hard boiled eggs so won’t use it now.

and after cooking for 23 minutes total
I like the Manual button so set it for 6 minutes to start. In an oven, it takes 45 min. I was just guessing, not wanting to overcook the quiche. That wasn’t enough but I could see it starting to cook. I set it for 10 minutes more, it did a NR quickly, then another 7 minutes with a NR. By this time, Bill had returned from flying, so I made scrambled eggs and sausage. After dishes, Madame IP beeped and I removed the sling with the pot. Yum, it looks cooked when I tested it with a knife so just let it cool before covering it for the fridge.
Breakfast but I could only eat 2 sausages
and saved the others for tomorrow
Bill claimed the bathroom to get washed and teeth cleaned before it was my turn. Then, I walked up to the puzzle room to see if I could add anything to the other on-going one. When I got to the room, I realized that the puzzle did not appeal to me at all. It was a winter scene. So, there was a smaller one that I helped do last winter and decided that rather than start a new one, I’d work on it. It was a bit easy so I finished it before returning home. I’ll have to start a new one tomorrow.


With both done, I'll have to start a new one 
Back home, I sat outside with Bill while he worked on his model car, the one Santa brought him. I read a few chapters of my book and by 1 or soon after, I decided to change and ride my bike up to the pool. This was a beautiful day and I wasn’t going to miss it. I was the only one there so got the lounge chair of my choice. The water was quite nice. It felt a little cooler than yesterday which I put down to how hot I was from sitting in the sun.

This was Keith's set up close to the clubhouse
I left Bill painting his model in the shade on our patio
Once I swam and floated a bit, a quick dip in the hot tub took any chill off from the outside air. I only had about an hour and a half but I enjoyed the sun’s warmth very much. At 2:45, I walked back to our site and stopped to make sure Keith knew that he was invited to our Happy Hour. It was our turn to host today. I changed into capris and poured myself an Iced Coffee Rum Chiata. I could make this last throughout the next couple of hours.

One half of Happy Hour
Jo-Anne, Patsy, Boband Kim

And the other half (the shady half)
Ken, Dave, Oreo, Keith and Bill
Bill and I each had a slice of cheddar cheese before our guests arrived. Jo-Anne, Higgins, Kim, Ken, Dave (Keith’s friend) and Keith with Oreo. Bob had gone up to play horseshoes by himself so showed up later. It was nice to have new conversation and although it was about fishing, something I know little about, it seemed our newest guests enjoyed themselves. That is important to me. Us girls tried to talk around the men's conversations.

Are we friends or what?

They really wanted to play together

It was fun to watch Higgins playing tough with Oreo while all she wanted to do was play. A few times, they actually bantered around each other to our delight but it wasn’t as easy to play while on their leashes. They got along quite well. Higgins also spent a fair bit of time in his patio bed. We’re still glad that he gets the use out of the bed we had originally purchased for Clemson. He seems to like it a lot. 

The sun was beginning to set and it was still very warm
By 20 after 5, everyone had left so Bill lit the Weber. I knew my chicken breast would take longer than his pork chop so I took a walk around the perimeter of the park to kill time and to add steps. This was one of the nicest days we’ve had and the warmth stuck around until later in the day too. Usually by this time, we were in jackets and long pants but that sun was warm and we enjoyed the extension. Inside, I put salad out on our plates and then bided my time until the meat was ready.

Supper was pretty good but way too much chicken
Bill finished the thick chicken breast first so suggested that I eat it right away. Chicken can be funny and trying to cook it at the same time as a thinner pork chop is not easy. It was way too much for me anyway so I cut the breast into pieces and mixed it with the Caesar salad. That was good. It was a tad too well done which made it dry and chewy so the portion that I couldn’t eat went to the garbage. Next time I’ll do it in the IP.

Through the fence to the west of our sites

Goodnight sunshine

It was so pretty between the palms
We weren’t hungry for dessert so after dishes, Bill settled in front of the tv and I at my laptop. I downloaded today’s pictures and concentrated on finishing my post. This was an enjoyable day with a high temperature of 72F/23C. The winds were in our favour today too, with the maximum reaching about 5 mph early in the day. I hope you are enjoying your weekend as well.

Dropping out of sight

Bit by bit

Good night to all of you

Thank you for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Your quiche looks good! I might have to try that sometime. I have to say it's nice down here ... not hot yet at around 75 degrees, but MUCH better than the 40's where I came from. I can finally get warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you are closer to us now, aren't you? It is beautiful right now for sure!

      Delete
  2. Love the sling around your dish,makes it easy to remove.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of the heat! We did get above freezing yesterday but it rained and then froze overnight. I'm not looking forward to driving on the city streets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you getting some warm temperatures there. I know how much you enjoy your pool time. Glad Bill is getting lots of air time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. the sun is the big thing for me and they have lounge chairs at the pool. :)

      Delete