Thursday, September 5, 2019

Laundromat Team, Sunny Glory, An ‘OMG’ Lunch, Puttering


The Ridge

It must have been around 5:30 when I first opened my peepers on Thursday, Sept. 5th. Darkness befell the Ridge and no light creeped through the blind edges until closer to 6:30. I lay awake though, and curled up next to my sweetie. He was warm and I felt that I’d been chilled most of the night. Tonight, the duvet comes out from UNDER the bed. Neither of us wanted to pay any attention to my alarm at 6:15 so stayed put for another 15 minutes – half hour.

A pretty, clear sky and low lying fog across the fields
It was 6:45 when I decided we needed to get up and into town. Bill was going with me to clean the Mat today, big dryers and hanging fly sticky things being the two main reasons. It was 4C/45F outside and I said that I need to pay attention to any frost warnings so I can cover my plants in the garden. I don’t think this coolness is going to stick around for long. We’ll get some warm nights again BUT we may bring the Blue Flame heater in anyway.

Fly sticker thingys
We were both pleasingly surprised to see that Jamie had tackled cleaning the Lock Up room. It looks amazing!! I’m sure he is pleased with the outcome as well. It is one of those projects that you just need to jump in and commit to and he sure did! I need to compliment him on it when we get home. Bill cleaned the big dryers and I went about my normal routine. When he climbed on the step ladder to hang the 4 fly stickers, I got the mop and bucket out.

For some reason these 4 bikers struck me funny
They had been congregated at the gas station
and when they took off looked like the 'Brothers Von Trapp'
Further down the street they had stopped and consulted their binder
Rob popped in to say hi and asked if we could stop around at the house. When we left the Mat, we dropped my book off at the Library (unfinished, I might add). Then we filled Ptooties with fuel before driving to Rob and Pat’s. Bill was surprised to see the rack for carrying our generator sitting there beside the steps. Wow! “He finished it!” he said. Bill had just dropped the metal/steel parts off on Tuesday afternoon so Rob could weld us a carrier.

We seem to have 18 double yolked eggs
Neither of us were expecting that and were both thrilled. They invited us in for a coffee so we gratefully accepted, since we hadn’t had our morning brew yet. We had a nice visit and then headed home. With the sun shining and the temperature forecast to rise to 20C/74F today, Bill had outdoor plans, small jobs to complete. I had indoor plans to deal with the 20 lbs. of apples so we set about our own thing. I stopped at 10 to make Bill his bacon and eggs before carrying on for a total of 2 ½ hours.

This is the second half of the apples

Soaking in a brine of salt and water to keep them white
The good news is that I have 12 – 6 cup bags of these apples to freeze added to the 6 – 4 cup bags of the previous ones. Bill said, “Are we going to have room in the freezer for anything else?” Smart aleck that he is. 😊 Between now and then there will be desserts made so the stock pile will drop. I think Rob deserves an apple pie for his hard work on the rack, don’t you? I'll keep that in mind. When I finished, it was 12:30 and I was hungry now. So, I got creative.

There isn't even a name for this dish but oh my, it was wonderful
I fried some zucchini, green pepper, radishes and tomatoes first in lard. I added a double-yolk egg (not planned) and shredded mozzarella cheese before layering it all onto a white flour tortilla. Then I fried each side before cutting it in half. Let me tell you, it was VERY messy and gooey and sloppy BUT it turned out to be one of the best ‘me’ concoctions I have ever tasted! Wow, I only hope I can duplicate it again another day. Delicious!

Bill built a little 'hut' for the outlet and cords
Then, I cleaned up the few dishes and got the broom out to sweep the Suite. With that done, a shower was in order. I can’t remember when………ooh, that doesn’t sound good but I do know my hair is a disaster. After my shower, I decided that I wasn’t in the mood to bake a pie so everything went into the freezer. I was missing the sunshine so I changed into shorts and a summer top and went for a walk down to check the mail.

At the bunky

and down at the Hangar
When Bill went outside, he completed the little cubbies for the electrical cords that run between the Bunky (remember the trench dig?) and the Hangar. He wants to keep them dry from the elements and has had this plan in mind for a few weeks. After that, he was working on the wire leads for his Timber (little Styrofoam plane) and also on gluing the weights on his large Telemaster. I can’t remember what the needed weight is but it’s a lot. Something like 18 lbs. I think.

That is a lot of apples
After getting the mail, I decided to take advantage of the day and the early afternoon. I got out my paints and rocks. That sun felt so good sitting there on the patio. I chose 2 of the largest rocks and one that put me in mind of a fish head. Funny how some rocks just look like something. My painting skills are very amateurish so I wasn’t sure how well it would turn out. It was fun trying anyway! When Bill came up from the Hangar, it was 4 o’clock.

And look what I found!
I told Bill to be careful walking around it
what a rare find!
Quite a different day than yesterday
I worked away finishing the fish, an old gypsy’s face (?) on the flip side and a special one for Clemson. The rock called out to me, it needed to be painted. 😊 I finished a short time later, put the paints back in the Bunky and came inside. I’ll just need to spray them both with clear acrylic and they’ll be done. These won’t be hidden anywhere but instead placed on the Ridge. Inside, Bill was watching NCIS and I informed him that it was his turn to cook tonight.

Bullrushes/cattails along our lane

And Chippy caught in the act
but the birds are scarce right now so I won't object
My fish rock
And on the flip side, an old cronie gypsy?
Burgers were on the menu for supper and a homemade garden salad. I realized that I don’t have the heavy cream to finish my creamy Jell-o so dessert tonight may be custard again or maybe a butter tart. I made myself a tea as I sat at my laptop and then joined Bill in our chairs. I wasn’t having any more luck on the crossword today than yesterday so I turned the paper over and worked on the cryptogram as it was more up my alley.

I had a nice setup on the patio
but the temperature changed when the sun went behind the tree
At 6, I began making a garden salad. Only the lettuce, radishes and cheese were not from my garden. The tomato, green pepper and onions were so I’ll take some credit for how good it was. The burger, however, was awesome. These Leadbetters Cowboy burgers are the best and loaded to the hilt, making them messy too, went down really well. I didn’t even slop anything on my shirt! We took care of the few dishes and we sat at our laptops for a bit.


In memory of someone special
I’m very nervous about our mobile data usage and I wish I wasn’t. For months now, we’ve had no problems with our data usage turned on. Now, with it turned off, I seem to be so afraid to turn it on every once in a while. Frustrating! I enjoyed the day and have another day of laundromat cleaning taken care of. Bill accomplished a few things and with all the apples, I guess I did too. I hope you can say the same!

And the next few days show some cool nights
and possible wet weather

Our delicious messy burger
Good night y'all!
Thank you for your visit to the Ridge today.

10 comments:

  1. I am with you about anxiety over our data useage. We went over when the kids were here and it ended up costing us a LOT for overage. I'm so nervous about watching even a short video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confused why it changed. We've had the same amount of data for the last 2 years. We just have to be careful, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Aw I love Clemson's rock. You are right, that's a LOT of apples!! I'm sure you will put them to good use. Don't you just love it when a recipe (or lack of) comes together? Your food looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He needed a rock here on the Ridge. :)
      I'll use them up over the winter for sure.

      Delete
  3. You did have a productive day for sure! Ken says "Good job Bill"...of course we have the same kind of covers Ken made at the bunkhouse! Great minds....Your lunch looks and sounds yummy! I forgot to comment on your pancakes yesterday. I haven't had them in awhile, but oh they looked good! Dinner looks yummy too! You must love that most of it came from your own garden! Love all your rocks, but Clemson's is most special. We have unlimited Verizon coverage, so we don't have to worry about data..thank goodness! Of course doesn't work everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day and yes great minds think alike. :)
      The pancakes were good for a change of pace.
      I wish we could get unlimited wifi offered up here, we are so close to many towers.

      Delete
  4. I'll bet it feels good having the all the apples cleaned and stored in the freezer, I'm sure there will be some good deserts out of those. That fish rock really does look like a fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have apples in the freezer, since I had no rhubarb this year.
      Thank you, I wasn't sure about the fish rock but it turned out okay.

      Delete
  5. I love the little Clemson rock, and your crone is great too! Very imaginative.

    Can you check your data usage at the end of each day. I know on my old phone I could (and often did), but I have a different plan now so don't have the same worry of going over. It might give you some piece of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun painting the rocks on a beautiful day.
      Yes, every day I write the usage down. When it jumped for 2 separate days in August, we couldn't see what made it do that. Frustrating.

      Delete