Monday, September 9, 2019

Habit Forming, Trip to London, Bridal Shower, Surprise Supper Out, Birthday Missed


The Ridge
On Sunday, Sept. 8th we had no reason to rush to get up – again. It was Sunday, after all, and when I peeked behind my window blind at 6:45 all I could see was dullness and lots of fog. I didn’t have to work and obviously I wouldn’t be walking through that on a country road. So, it was 7:30 when we decided we should get up.
This sleeping in is getting to be a habit!

Today was about going to London for a shower
A full day
It was a tad chilly in the Suite, 57F, so Bill ran the furnace through a couple of cycles. We would each be having a shower soon so that would warm the bathroom up for us. We had our tea and coffee together and read blogs to see what our friends are up to. Bill had his shower first and then my turn. He slipped out to the storage shed and brought in our Blue Flame heater. We’ll use it for heat now and turned the furnace off.

We encountered varying skies but it was a nice day for a drive
I made us a filling breakfast of omelette sandwiches and we were in the car just before 11. Today, Bill’s 2nd oldest daughter was hosting a bridal shower for his youngest daughter at her home in London. It is a long drive and we wouldn’t make the drive for just anyone but for family, of course it wasn’t an option. It was mostly cloudy, big fluffy ones by now with some cray mixed in with the white but there was also some blue sky in between.

The temperature outside was 50F/11C when we got up and by the time we were on the road, it was 54F/13C. Between our version of ‘idiot’ drivers (aka people who shouldn’t be driving) we made it safe and sound to Charlotte’s at a few minutes past 1 pm. The shower wasn’t to start until 1:30 and there were a few people yet to arrive from Stratford area.

It was a room full of 14 family guests including the bride-to-be
Charlotte was a great host and had 3 fun games for the adults that the 4 young gals could also take part in. I kept my sheets for 2 of them so I will remember them in case I ever have a party. It isn’t about winning but I still was pleased that I won her version of Family Feud. Jessie opened gifts, in between the games, and received a lot of great things for her and Matt to set up house. Many things were off her Wedding Registry at Walmart. Best way to shop, no?

Easton performing for cousins Haley and Shelley and Great Auntie Liz
Easton was present as well and was passed around like a little sack of potatoes. Did I say ‘little’ sack? He is quite the bundle and I could only hold him in my arms for so long before handing him back to Mom. He will be 6 months old on Wednesday. He isn’t crawling yet but has 3 front bottom teeth to boast about. What a cutie pie, he is, looking more and more like his Dad every time I see him. There was quite a spread of food so we feasted and then sat and visited until 3:30.

Lots of snacks
I’d texted Bill at 3 that he could come anytime as the only guests were his family; sisters, nieces, granddaughters, daughters and great-nieces. He skipped the rat race at Costco and after shopping at Lens Mills Store for wing material and spending some time at his flying field with his friends, he joined me at Charlotte’s. We hung around until about 4 and then headed for home. It was a nice shower.

Grandpaand Easton
And as we drove away from London, I captured some photos of trees with changing leaves. Already! Not tons yet but enough to indicate a season change. I brought my ThinkPad along for the day as that enabled me to write today’s post. I knew I’d be tired by the time we got home tonight. Arriving in Tavistock, I’d closed my laptop figuring that was it for this day and I could report our home arrival time and say goodnight.

My favourite picture of the day is the big one here
Jess, the honoured guest and bride-to-be
That wasn’t it for the day. Bill drove around by Bob and JoAnn’s house and thought maybe we’d stop for a quick hello. We noticed a young man and a wee boy getting out of their vehicle in the driveway so almost kept on going. “But we’re right here”, we thought, so turned around and parked. The greeting we received at the front door was spectacular. No other word for it, it was awesome. We stepped inside and I could smell food cooking.

Capturing pictures of the approaching Autumn
Oh darn! We dropped in on them as they’re ready to eat. Their son and grandson had just arrived to have a fish feast for supper, for fish that Sean and Bob had just caught today. We greeted them, met Sean and Chase and planned to leave but they were having no part of that. We were seated and fed with fresh deep fried Walleye, fries and salad within 30 minutes of walking in the door. Who does that? Bob and JoAnn do.

This one was almost completely turned
JoAnn had homemade blueberry pie and whipped cream for dessert and we left at 6:30 smiling and shaking our heads. We had planned to stop at the fish and chip wagon in Durham but figuring on a Sunday night at 7 they wouldn’t be open. If that didn't pan out, our plans for supper were undefined. This was great and we had a fun catchup and got to know Sean a bit while we were at it. How wonderful it was to see them again and discuss our winter travel plans a bit.

The drive home from Tavi was uneventful and the sky cleared somewhat, the closer we got to Durham. That meant a cool night. We pulled into the lane at The Ridge around 8:00 and now I can say that we had a great day! For more reasons than one, it was meant that we stop and visit our ‘new’ friends today.

And I didn't take my camera or phone inside Bob and JoAnn's place so
I can't even show you the delicious meal we had
Sorry, for the late posting, but I was busy! :)
Before I close, I wanted to mention that yesterday was my 2nd Grandson, Jake’s birthday. I didn’t miss it, chatted with him but missed spreading the news. So, Happy 22nd Birthday, Jacob!
I know he is dressed in Hallowe'en garb but I love the picture of him
Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean?
Meet Jack Sparrow aka Jacob
I hope you’ve had a good Sunday too. Thank you for stopping by.

5 comments:

  1. Fun day! After mostly getting up by 5:00 am to walk during the summer I am so looking forward to sleeping in just a tiny bit ...maybe 6;00 am as soon as the days get a bit longer. Today was our coolest day so far...yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, still early, 6 am is!! :) It won't even be light out yet so be careful!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it nice to be welcomed and fed while just dropping in unannounced? You got some great friends. Bridal showers can be great fun and having a registry is a great way to avoid duplicate gifts. I bet Bill's daughter can't wait for the big day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful and totally unexpected. :) We do have great friends........yourselves included!!
      Jess got some nice things and she is getting excited for Mexico for sure!

      Delete
  3. Your grandson does a great impression of Jack Sparrow...very handsome young man.

    Lovely that you got to visit with Bill's side of the family, and young Easton is simply adorable. What gracious friends too!

    ReplyDelete