Thursday, September 12, 2019

Walking in the Rain, Puttering Around Home for Me, Yogourt Attempt


The Ridge

I woke up around 6:30 and heard Bill getting busy downstairs in the kitchen. We had pulled the duvet off last night for the second night and when I woke up felt a bit chilled with just the sheet and a blanket. Because of that, I remained where I was until closer to 7 when I joined my sweetie downstairs. It looked like rain but just the windows were spattered. Bill said it rained a fair bit through the night and wee morning hours.

I took a chance on the sky and the light mist
and went for my walk
Bill made my tea, assuming that it wasn’t light enough or dry enough for me to walk yet. He was right. He’d already had a bowl of cereal and carried on with his routine to go to work. They would paint today and then take a break until Monday. They both, we all, have other things going on for a few days. Bill said that each day it has been busy in the Mat with customers so that explains why I don’t see them. They choose to do their laundry mid-day. Works for me!


When I finished my tea, it felt damp in here so I turned the Blue Flame heater on to take the 64F chill out and warm it up with about 4 degrees. Then I decided to get dressed and go for a walk but I couldn’t find my umbrella. Hmm, we have 2 around here somewhere but none were available. I just wore my light hoody and rain/wind breaker and that was perfect for the outdoor 54F/12C temperature.

and this is where the Geese meeting is this morning
this is the kind of classic car I like
sitting at Elvis' house but didn't see a For Sale sign
It was kind of misty for the first leg of my walk but once I reached the corner of Baptist Church Road, it stopped and I relaxed a bit, knowing I wasn’t going to have to run to the trees in the ditch. It was refreshing and I was happy to get out for a walk that I’ve missed a fair bit this month so far. It’s fun to see the beginning of the leaves start to change on our roads. Usually, they start the same way each year. One tree in particular makes me smile as just a few leaves break out of the green.

and the colours begin

I'm sure this is the same tree that did this last year


And this patch of colours will only get brighter as time goes on
Turning back onto North Line, the rain was starting up and hitting me in the face. Luckily, just lightly and I didn’t have far to go so I picked up my pace and turned into our sheltered lane. I turned the heater off even though it had only risen about 2 degrees in here, it now felt warmer after my walk. I cut an apple muffin in half and spread it with butter. A couple of them didn’t get cooked all the way through and Bill got one of those yesterday. I hope the one he gave Jamie was cooked.

first time in a while that I've found $$ on the roadway

I walked around the property
My dahlias STILL haven't bloomed!
This one was perfect and I ‘ummmed’ a lot while devouring it with a glass of milk. I’d noticed three of James Patterson books in the ‘book drop’ across from the Mat yesterday but thought we’d read them. Checking my list now, we haven’t read two of them so I’ll stop maybe after Bill gets home today or tomorrow when I’m in town. Since the Suite is clean and it feels a bit damp to be out in the Bunky, I’ll either get a puzzle out in here or I’ll see what I can make in Madame IP.

I crouched down at the bottom of the hill to see my sunflower
against the sky
  I remembered that our friend, Lori, recommended that I make yogourt in the IP. I’ve read a lot of the recipes but it all sounds so persnickety for me so have avoided it. Plus, I’ve not understood the reason to make it when you need your own ‘cultured yogourt’ or store-bought yogourt for the recipe. Didn’t make sense until Lori informed me that you only need to buy it once and then each batch is made by using the yogourt  from that batch and so on.

But as in the dahlia, no bloom yet
Is there a flower in there?
Hmm. She also said that you end up with so much more from just 2 tablespoons. Okay, so I’m sold and have just been waiting for the day to try it. As our other friend, Kim, says. It takes a while to make so your IP will be out of commission for that length of time. No problem, got that figured out too, we’ll have fish for supper. 😊 I needed a bit of additional direction from my IP 101 group on FB, things that weren’t clear from the recipe, but then I went for it.

Yay! A red pepper!
As the milk boils, I got out a puzzle out from under the bed. A puzzle from yet another friend, Rose, who put it together over the past winter. I hope it fits on my mat. The process for the yogourt was long and as I write this at 8 pm, it is still cooking. It darn well better turn out!! Going back, the remainder of my afternoon was pretty quiet and lazy. I worked on the puzzle, chatted back and forth with Donna on text and waited for Bill’s return.

Let's get this puzzle going

I loved it when Rose and George did it last winter
and I remember that there are one or two pieces missing

Interesting little Angel shaped pieces mixed in
I’d tossed around ideas for supper and yet committed to nothing. It was 5:30 when he texted to say he was on his way. They worked longer as they wanted to finish one wall in particular. Tomorrow morning, I will see just how well it turned out and I’ll take a picture to show you. Since Bill had gone out for lunch again, he was happy to wait a bit for supper and hopped in the shower first. So, we then agreed on fried grilled cheese sandwiches on rye.

And the grader went by a couple of times filling in holes
and laying new gravel
I slipped onion rings in mine and they were really tasty! Take my word for it, I don’t have a picture tonight to show you. I didn’t bother rolling up the puzzle, it wasn’t a typical square or rectangle so Bill ate on the couch and I ate overtop of the puzzle. This one will take me a few days; it is a tough one. We had a dish of creamy Jell-o for dessert and then I did this while Bill did some online checking regarding the microwave.

Something I found interesting
Along the lane, where frogs live and the black water snake was seen early summer
look at the new yellow growth

Not able to get too close, I zoomed in

And then zoomed in some more
Aren't they beautiful!?
This was a different kind of day but still a good one. I’ll let you know about the yogourt tomorrow. I hope it is a success at least. Early afternoon, after I was deep in making the yogourt, the sky cleared and a lovely day was upon us. 

It turned into a gorgeous day
I could've unplugged in other circumstances plus I could also have gone into town and did a couple of loads of wash. Oh well, another day. I've started something and I'll see it to the end now. 

And not much progress but some!
Good night y'all!

Thank you for stopping in today.

12 comments:

  1. Yes making yogurt is persnickety! But is really is good. I drain mine a lot because I like really thick yogurt. And I add muesli (Jordon's brand) to mine when I eat it. I found the tools you needed were more of a pain than making it. You need a thermometer, big sieve and bowl to drain it, I line the sieve with coffee filters. And of course some kind of jars to store it in. I suppose you could just store the whole of it in a big container and take out what you want to eat. I make a very large batch when I do it. I have the biggest Madame IP. I also add vanilla to mine when it's brewing. I only mucked up 1 batch and I must have made at least 20 batches since I got my pot. Any questions you have just ask. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one question Ruth: Do you have the 'yogourt' button on your IP?
      I didn't even get to the filter/sieve part. I won't be buying another IP just to get the special button though. It sounds great but not going to happen for me, I guess. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Hubby makes yogurt, I don't like it so have no interested in making it, in our Instant Pot when we are in the States. We don't make it at home because milk is so much more expensive here and yogurt on sale works out cheaper, but he does like the home made stuff better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just curious with those of you who make it, do you have the yogourt button? If not, I need step by step instructions! haha

      Delete
  3. I think I will start doing puzzles...not sure about starting yogurt though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice busy day , threat puzzle sure looks like a challenge but you will have fun. neither one of us like eating yogurt, having tried it many times and ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the challenge of the puzzle, hardest one I've ever done, I think.
      I wish the yogourt turned out, I'd love to try homemade but it isn't going to happen.

      Delete
  5. I love yogurt, but for the price and time I think i'll just buy it LOL. Looks like that will be a beautiful puzzle when it's done! Your garden is still looking good! Can't wait to see how fresh the Mat looks! Your grilled cheese with onion rings sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yogourt too but after the results (see today's post) I'll buy mine too. I was really anxious to taste a homemade batch but not going to happen in my IP anyway.
      The Mat looks great, worth the wait and their hard work. I love cooked onions and melted cheese together.:)

      Delete
  6. Quiet days doing things you enjoy are often the best. Looking to seeing the work that has been done in the Mat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Especially when you know there are busy days ahead.
      The Mat looks wonderful. You'll see in today's post!

      Delete