Friday, April 16, 2021

TGIF – As Workers We Get Happy for the Weekend - But This One? 

Friday, Apr. 16th I got up on time to say goodbye to my sweetie. With a ‘proper hug’. Did you every watch Blind Side? 😊 💕 After he pulled out, I made my tea and sat at my laptop to read some blogs and comments on my own posting. The day looked drab, damp and cool but at least no white stuff was visible. Phew! For now, that’s a good sign.

I nibbled on a plum and some 11% Greek yogourt to tide me over until noon hour and slipped out the door at 7:45. Trepidation was unfounded as other than one customer, no 'unwanteds' were in attendance. Mike, who has lived here ‘forever’, apparently, was a chatterer. I didn’t like the comments about the Mat going downhill since Jamie took over……..I get defensive even if I know there are some things that could/should be looked after.

Our forecast for the next 7 days
Not out of the woods yet?

When I finished cleaning and ‘spit-mopping’ (just washing up the coffee and mud stains) he was still folding his clothes. I’d listen to his non-stop (almost) complaining and groaning about his sciatica discomfort over the vagrants anyday. I could just block my mind to it. I’m ordering an MP3 player and plan on having that tucked in my pocket for just such occasions. 😉

I drove home, quite pleased that my week of cleaning was behind me on a good note. When I passed the body shop on my way home, the Paramedics and Firemen were present so I texted M to make sure he/everything was okay. His tenant’s Dad was the issue and that is none of my business so I made a thermos of coffee and drove over at 9:30. The shop is at the back of the building, tenants at the front.

Because I didn't take more than 2 pictures today
this perked me up
It was my rhubarb on Apr. 16, 2019

More taping/sanding and papering was done today on the F150 with a quick trip into the Shell station for RO water and diesel for the boss. The station is on our end of town so I didn’t mind. I needed a break from sanding the bottom edges of the doors. Bending over, holding a power sander steady takes concentration, arm strength and I was out of breath. It isn’t hard work but it does take effort.

so, an improvement already this year, 3 days ago

I left work at 12:30, with pay for the day and with a dish of homemade chili from his freezer. He has lots and quietly as he brought it out he said “ I need to butter up Patritia as it is getting close to cheesecake time”. 😊 He is a character and we laugh a lot. At home, I heated it up and enjoyed every morsel with a piece of toast. The toast was required as he makes it spicier than I do. 😓

M's chili was a bit spicy but very good

The air outside today is cold and if I didn’t know any better, I’d think it was fall and we were moving towards winter instead of leaving it behind. It is April though so we don’t get too excited about the weather here in Canada until we are into the middle of May. Once more Bill surprised me and got off early, short Fridays are always nice. We both felt sleepy so I wrote some of my blog and then sat beside him in our chairs with our blankets. He slept, I worked on a crossword puzzle.

At 6, the news was on our agenda. It isn’t always a priority for us to watch it. 'No news' right now IS  good news even if it means we are living in a bubble. Tonight, we knew we had to watch it and hear for ourselves about Premier Ford’s new enforcement measures. Starting in the morning, we are even on further lockdown for a total of 6 weeks. A strict lockdown.

Supper

We could be stopped by the police when driving anywhere and asked our reason for leaving our home and for our home address. It puts a whole lot of questions in our heads now. Bill’s work, my cleaning, us needing to get water for our tanks, us needing propane, us needing to do our laundry. I’m sure we’ll be fine with our explanations for the latter 3 needs BUT it could be ‘every’ time we drive into town. I don't envy the cops for this added policing.

The question is ‘can I go beyond Durham to Walmart for the better prices?’ I guess we’ll find out as it plays out but we sure don’t want to be fined for being where we shouldn’t be. It is frightening and stressful. So, between now and May 20th the one thing I want to focus on is that we are here, on the Ridge, and have a great outdoors to be out and about in. That’s more than many towns or city people have. Here we go again, is what it feels like.

A reminder from last year, Apr. 16, 2020
that I was doing puzzles on our table 😀
Something else making me smile

Supper was leftover meatloaf, stew and a salad. It worked well and tasted good. We each had a piece of pie for dessert, warmed in the oven, and after dishes we sat together watching tv. What a way for the weekend to start. 😟

A Happy memory from November 2018
for the next 5+ weeks, it'll be You and Me, dear
we can do this
good night, everyone.

Thank you for stopping by. Bottom line, stay safe and stay well.

25 comments:

  1. This is going to be a very difficult time. A lot of people are really scared and confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I think it is the first time that I've felt truly confused and stressed since we came home in March 2020. :(

      Delete
  2. So sorry they continue to lock you down. Everything is opening up here, mostly cuz no one is doing what they say any more. Totally fed up!!! Hang in there - summer really is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the additional lockdown. Hang in there. At least, you have each other. We are finally getting to use our motorhome after 23 months. Heading to West Yellowstone, MT to work for 6 months. Will be leaving on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita. We're lucky to be where we are as long as we can continue to get the things we need. Water, propane and food.
      That sounds like a nice break for you both.

      Delete
  4. I live in Green Valley, AZ. Now that so many of us have been vaccinated, the infection rates have dropped drastically, and things are starting to open up. Can't begin to describe to you what a relief it was to get my 2nd shot. Yesterday I went to lunch with neighbors and tonight enjoyed Happy Hour at another neighbours house. Wonderful to feel that life is returning to normal!
    Your turn will come .... if only everyone would think beyond themselves and follow the rules, it would happen quicker. And the vaccine is icing on the cake. Hang in there and be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bonkers for the encouragement. There are a lot here who will not get vaccinated, family included, so not sure what the big picture is.

      Delete
    2. I have a friend who suffers from Shingles. She said ' I didn't get a shingles shot and now I pay the price. I certainly wasn't going to make the same mistake with the covid vaccine! I can live with the shingles outbreaks .... can't say the same for Covid.'

      Delete
  5. I can’t imagine how difficult it must be with the extra lockdown measures in place. I watch what happens in Ontario with a bit of trepidation as Alberta tends to follow and they are threatening stricter measures here. The end is in sight though so hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you allisamazing for your comment and support. I hope it doesn't reach you in Alberta, my brother is also there and is watching. :(

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your Mr Ford likes everybody under his thumb. Interestingly,that is how Hitler got started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although I wonder just how much power/control he actually has. We don't know who to believe and just follow like sheep.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I'd worry too much about going to Walmart for cheaper prices or really anything else. I would hope the police have better things to do than stop people for getting groceries etc. A scare tactic I'm thinking. Here our governor tried that and the police and sheriff's came out and said they wouldn't be enforcing! With all the lockdowns you have had, numbers should not be going up if masks and lockdowns work. Hugs! M's chili really does look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, I'm sure that is the case, we'll be able to shop anywhere within the county.
      Read today's post for an update. Our police forces are also saying that they will NOT be making random stops. Great news!

      Delete
  8. This should be called a Locked-In rather then a Lock-Down.
    You are certainly lucky to be able to freely move around the Ridge.
    The only thing Walmart is allowed to sell is Essentials so all other aisles are blocked off. By the time you add the cost of fuel shopping at the local Mom and Pop store works out the same plus you are supporting Small Businesses.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your weekend.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, true enough, Rick.
      Hanover is only 20 minutes away so worth the extra drive. Foodland's pricing for milk, cream, bread is quite a bit higher than Walmart. We get gouged for everything else during the pandemic, we need to get savings where we can. Durham has enough local support right now that for a big shopping trip, I'll take the drive. :)

      Delete
  9. Well.... driving by and seeing first responders at the shop must have been scary. That chili looked delicious. I bet this lockdown is confusing for the police too. Is Paisley in Ontario? If you were still there would you be able to walk around town like you used to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was concerned for M but figured I knew who it was for.
      The police have refused to do the random checks so that is good news. Yes, Paisley is in Ontario but I think I would have still been able to walk most places. :)

      Delete
  10. I think it's more likely the OPP will be stopping people on the highways coming in and out of Ontario, or in areas where cases are very high. As you mention, I think they have better things to do and most likely don't have the capacity to stop vehicles. I did see a report that some construction sites were going to be shut down, unless it was for infrastructure but I didn't see anything further.

    Take care, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the police and tonight's news proves that. ;)
      We'll have to wait to hear from Mike about Bill's work but I'm thinking they should take the break.

      Delete
  11. Be careful as the fines are really large! Don't know if we could afford them but they are giving them out; they don't care if you can't afford them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving for essentials does not scare us, they won't fine us for that. There's no other place we need to drive to, thankfully.
      Thanks Kathy. :)

      Delete
  12. I agree with Maebeme, and I was lucky enough to read on line this morning that the police in Ontario are not going to follow that.

    I do believe stricter measures are necessary in all our provinces, mine included.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to the police news. That was good to hear. Enforce the bush party-ers and those purposefully breaking the rules, if you must, but leave the rest of us alone.

      Delete