Thursday, July 5, 2018

More of the Same, Lazy Days, Good Books, Visit with Momma, Rain Arrives


On Thursday, July 5th I woke up a few minutes after 6 but lazed in the early morning air from my side window for a while. Clemson was curled up on Bill’s side of the bed on top of the covers, still sound asleep. I wasn’t going to disturb him. Within a few minutes, he himself moved, stretched languishly and hopped off the bed. I let him out and stepped out into what appeared to be a duplicate of yesterday. I didn't get much variety in pictures today, so I hope you don't get bored.

So, I hooked the hose up to the rain barrel

It runs down the hill to fill my watering can
  The air was heavy with nary a breeze and the sky was blue with just a hint of white cirrus clouds on the horizon to the west. I let Bill know we were up and we chatted our normal morning stuff. I missed my kisses last night and this morning. Yesterday, I waited too long to go for a walk so at 6:30 I headed out the door and down the road to the south this time. At 74F/24C it was already too warm to be out in the hot sun.

I would have to turn the lever on and off at the barrel
Because I’ve invested too much time, physically and mentally, into my vegetable and flower gardens I knew that I had to water today. There may be rain later this afternoon, although 53% chance means highly unlikely. I hooked up the hose to the rain barrel and did as Bill suggested by running it down the top of the driveway. This is a steep enough incline to let the water flow. Of course, it means I’m up and down filling the watering can multiple times but it flows faster than just sticking the can under the spigot. Odd but it does.

Then once it was full, I walked down to get it
I filled the can 3 times
This isn’t even the most challenging part. I retrieve the full can of water, walk across the gravel lot, up the berm to water. I like to give them a good soaking so it took 4 trips back and forth. It worked well though and I’m just going to leave the garden hose there for the time being in case I need to repeat the process in a couple of days. The plants are still looking good and now there is one green pepper about an inch in length and diameter. Yay!

Each full can had to be carried across this lot and up that hill to the red arrow
It seems like a lot now, but when we're eating those veggies
it will be worth it
When I finished that, I made my first tea of the day and sat outside in the shade of the Suite to read the Home Hardware flyer and West Grey Spotlight mag. Chatting back and forth with Donna for a bit before she headed out to work, we both discussed needing haircuts (trims) before Monday, preferably before Sunday. I have a particular gal there whom I like but she doesn’t work until Saturday. Not sure if I’ll wait for her or go to someone else sooner.

In case I needed to do it again, the hose will remain here for a few days

With tea done, I came inside and hopped in the shower. We have lots of hot water available with our water heater but days like today I enjoy a cooler flow of water. Windows are closed up again so the a/c can run freely as the inside temperature warrants. If we didn’t have electric available to us, I guess we would be stingier with using the a/c but we do and we are not going to be uncomfortable. Life is short. After my refreshing ‘bath’ I had some blueberries, cream and a yogourt to tide me over until later.

I drove into Durham at 10:45 to visit Mom at Rockwood this morning before her lunch. I know it will be hot in there so had to be sure to dress ‘cool’. The residents don’t feel it as we do, which is a good thing. I know Mom doesn’t like air conditioning. While in with Mom, I measured her inseam so Donna can hem her new pink pants. I searched in her closet and chose a couple of tops that would match for the family reunion on Sunday.

the sky was pretty all day
It felt nice in her room when I first got there but soon warmed up. Mom looked very nice with her hair done (yesterday) a black skirt, white top and the red sweater we bought downstairs. I had to get a picture. At a few minutes before noon, I left her at her lunch table waving goodbye. It was a great visit today again. A quick hello to Aunt Mary and I was on my way.

And Mom looked beautiful in her new red sweater and black skirt
We had a great visit today
I’d debated going to Hanover for my trim but just felt like coming home. I’ll go after 10 in the morning. Back in the Suite, it was nice and cool so I know Clemson was comfortable. Now, since it is later, I decided to eat the rest of my chicken, egg and lettuce salad. I enjoyed it much better than I did last night for supper. I’ll have to think of something for supper tonight, other than a salad.

I sat in the chair with Clemson with my book and soon enough my eyes get heavy! What’s with that? I held off as long as possible and then went up to the bedroom for a catnap. Well, I think cat’s rest longer than that, no sooner did I settle down when I heard rain drops on the roof. This meant a scatter outside to fold our chairs, Clemson’s stool and tuck them away as well as closing the bunky windows.

Look at my big onion! I think I should be planting more to keep the
supply coming all summer
After about 45 large drops which probably missed my garden completely, it stopped. Thunder couldn’t produce anything either. Oh well, now the sky is blue again with pretty white fluffy clouds. Back downstairs to read and finally after letting Clemson out once more, I finished my book. Maybe overnight we’ll get the steady rain we need.
I moved my butt from the chair and swept the hall, living room and kitchen floors. 


Each time I move, Clemson thinks I’m getting something for him so maybe I’ll treat him (and me) with a piece of cheddar. That is the problem with salads. There is no good fat in them to sustain you for very long. I should have had some bacon and eggs.

Sitting here, with food ideas running through my head, it is 4:10 and the rain once more has graced the Ridge. Not sure where it is coming from since the sky still exhibits blue and white with peek-a-boo sun moments. Well, it didn’t last long and it didn’t produce a rainbow before stopping just as suddenly 10 minutes later. If it wasn’t so warm, I’d walk down the lane to see if there is any mail. Well, Clemson and I can go later.

I love the sharp edges of the clouds as they overlap others
We received a nice rainfall which I’m sure watered the gardens sufficiently…..for now. I know tomorrow is supposed to be a cooler 20C/60F so I’m assuming we will get more rain overnight. The outside temperature has dropped to 77F/25C so I’ve opened some windows to see how the rest of the evening goes. For supper, I settled on a grilled bacon, cheese and tomato sandwich. It was pretty good with my green olives on the side.

Supper


And the gathering in the tree was tonight but I missed the 4 that flew off
After cleaning up dishes, I got word that Donna and Gerry have arrived at the Acreage. Their work week is done until Saturday so they are getting some heat relief out in the country. Bill and I chatted about his day, it was much more exciting than mine for the most part. With the exception of my visit with Mom, of course. Now would be a good time to take that walk down the lane and check the mailbox. Are you ready, Clemson?

Look at those long legs move!
It wasn’t a wasted walk, we got some fresh air, some exercise and there were the weekly flyers in the mailbox. Clemmy dawdled on the way down, sniffing the goose poop (why?) and dropping a few specimens of his own but on the way back, he took off like a bat out of you know what. You can tell that he feels the fresher air as much as I do. At the road, I surprised Fred and Ethel and maybe Desi and Lucy with their children. Did they move!

Inside, I could feel the Suite had cooled down considerably so I’d made the right decision in turning the a/c off down here and opening windows. A slight breeze has picked up and I’m feeling it brush across my shoulders as I sit typing this. It has been a good day and I hope yours has been too.


Good night from The Ridge

And Bill was busy taking sky pictures too
and Good night from Bill as well
Can you see the double rainbow?

Thanks for reading today. I love it when you leave a comment.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Amazing sunset and 🌈. I'll trade you a grilled cheese for some Bill peanut butter cookies! Lol. A little rain is always sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was beautiful last night, reminded me of Quartszite. :)
    Hmm, I'd do the same, anytime! Even though I enjoy a grilled cheese.
    The rain has helped considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a really nice rain here last night too, although I didn't care for all the lightening that came with it. I'd like to think it would cool things off, but I see no change per the weather man. He's saying 92, but will feel like 99. Ugh!!
    You find so many things to fill your day... helps the days go by until Bill gets back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is expected that the rain will cool things down so odd when it doesn't. Same here until last night. Quite a significant change. It was needed. :)
      Sometimes I get real lazy and then reading takes me away to far places. haha

      Delete
  4. The temperature today sure did drop as well as the humidity, feels much more comfortable now. Not much pain here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I'm sure you mean not much rain.......not pain. At least I hope so!! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow you are a little worker! Glad the rain helped cool things off! Mom looked so cute, the red sweater is perfect for her. Love me a grilled cheese! Sunset so pretty and Bill's rainbows, nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was very welcome, hope the tomatoes and peppers are grateful.
      Mom loves pink and red but there I was sweltering and she was in a turtle neck and a sweater. Loved her outfit though, she is such a fashionista!
      Bill won the sky picture of the day, wish I'd seen it with him.

      Delete