Tuesday, August 25, 2020

A Busy Tuesday, Work and New Windshield - or NOT

 The Ridge

It was 5 am when I first woke and looked at the clock on Tuesday, Aug. 25th. Glad to be able to go back to sleep I dropped off until Bill’s alarm woke us both at 6:15. At this point each morning, I have to run through my head what is on for the day. ‘Do I have to get up early?’ Today, I did. By the time he was out of the shower, I had the bed made and was headed downstairs to make my tea. Off to Durham before 7 to get one job out of the way.

No sunrise picture today
Instead you get a very dirty floor!

You just never know what you’ll encounter at the Mat and today was one of those strange things. When I was cleaning the bathroom, I didn’t hear a gentleman come in, one I see every week, so I got a bit spooked when I heard a noise. Then I saw him and we laughed about it. You can tell someone must have been out in the rain or came from a pool with wet shoes because the floor on the checkered wall side was very dirty! It does make it worth while washing it though. 😊

The comforter on the bottom and a whole load of clothes on top

There were two washers that had things in it on Sunday when I was in. One had a flowery comforter and the other big machine had a whole load of dark, sweatshirts and pants in it. When we notice that, we figure someone was in the night before and forgot to go back so we leave things alone. After two days of the clothes still being there, that is enough. It takes away from washers for other customers.


So, today, I pulled over a cart and emptied both into it. If it isn’t claimed, Jamie will bag it at the end of the week and either garbage it or drop it at a used clothing facility. The one with all the dark, I’m guessing young adult’s, clothing was jammed full and the clothes still had a dampness to them. Yuck. I had to give that washer an extra squirt of spray and wipe so it didn’t stink for the next user. I was out of there at 8 and on my way home.

The last pancake for lunch was delicious

I’d finished my tea and just relaxed at my laptop until it was time to drive around the corner. This morning I had to remember to take Black Beauty when I went to town so Bill reminded me as I’d asked him to. BB is taking me for a drive, or is it the other way around, this afternoon before he is home. We noticed a lovely cooling trend this morning, not unexpected though, so both jobs were made easier by that few degrees difference. I think Bill will appreciate it too.

I don't think he thought it was clean enough to bathe in

But he did have a drink or two - go figure


At Mitch’s, he gave me a few ‘easy’ jobs. First, I did an hour of deadheading his petunias. Some of his raised beds are dying and a lot of that can be blamed on neglect. We’ve been too busy! I cleaned up the good ones that look like they may bloom again and then I worked on lightly sanding a new fender delivered this morning for the 2015 Ford Edge. The car is white and the fender is black. In between doing that and cutting up more rags the time went pretty quickly.

On the way to Dundalk
the windshield in all its glory

It was a nice country drive 

At noon, I came home, washed and made my lunch. The last keto pancake with syrup (which we need to buy more of before the winter) and fried canned meat. Yup, tried it after a suggestion and it was a nice change with plenty of good fat to boot! By the time I finished my coffee, I needed to scoot into town for some milk and check out a sale price on Coke at the I.D.A. (drug store).

On the way to my appointment, I saw a sign that said
"Controlled Burn ahead - Confirmed Approval"
But I obviously missed it

No burn was taking place but here is the evidence

They had Zero Coke at I.D.A. but no Diet anything other than Pepsi or Coke. I’m looking for Gingerale or Sprite or 7Up in the diet version. At a few minutes before 3, I hopped back in B.B. and hit the highway. It was a pretty straight forward route to Dundalk and I can’t say that I remember being there before. I’m sure I’ve gone through it, Bill will say so, but never to stop.

This sign says Miss CNE - that's short for Canadian National Exhibition
Something to be proud of for Jodie, I'm sure

Woops, I almost missed the pretty Welcome sign
Dundalk is a town of about 2200 people

There is a library across the street from Southgate Auto Glass with a bench so hopefully it is comfy enough for me and my book. I could go inside but that requires wearing a mask and I don’t how long I want to sit like that. Hopefully it doesn’t take Larry long to replace the windshield. So, are you ready for a story? I left the house at 2:50, arrived in Dundalk after a lovely drive at 3:20. Nice country roads and small towns.


Southgate A.G. shared this buildiing
but there was no office

I didn’t quite no where to go, there is no ‘Office’ just 3 (4?) bay doors all closed. At 3:30 I texted Larry to let him know I was there. He did say 3:30 or 4. No answer, had to leave a message. At 4:15, I called and left a message again. Patience, of which I do have quite a bit, was wearing thin. I called Mitch, left a message and I called Bill. What do I do? I waited until 4:30 and left the shop. Larry called just as I approached the edge of town.

As I sat and waited, a Mennonite horse and buggy turned the corner
I noticed the bright bonnet from a long way away

He’d forgotten the appointment but does have our windshield. Now, we’ll try to set it up for Friday. He offers a Mobile Service so if it isn’t going to rain he’ll come here (free of charge) and if it does rain, I’ll go back to the shop. We all make mistakes and in his defense he ‘was’ on holidays when I booked it with him. At least he got the replacement ordered and shipped in. So, Black Beauty drove home with the same damage as she went with.

We took the crack back home with us

Back home, Bill had just returned from work within a few minutes of my arrival. I had pictured us both pulling in the lane after each other but it didn’t quite work that way. We caught up on our days. Today, mine was just as busy as his was, well, almost. At a few minutes after 6 I started to put supper together. First, I had to find a recipe for hamburger casserole. Something different. I asked Bill how hungry he was and when he said “not too much”, it gave me leeway to get creative.  

Supper was very good

Some for another night but i'll have to add some vegetables

The casserole went in the convection oven (after plugging in) just before 7 with 30 minutes to cook. Now to hope it turns out. 😊 It did. We didn’t have much left after we’d eaten. I toasted a piece of Bill’s bread and my rye bread to eat with it and we cleaned up the last of the pineapple for dessert. That was a nice meal and Bill gave it the thumbs up for making it again. I’ll just start it earlier. The leftovers aren’t quite enough for a meal but we’ll have something with it.

And the interesting photo of the day
How these barns stand up, I'll never know
Good night!
(ps, that's a dirt smudge on the window, not smoke)

After dishes, Bill put his tool belt back in the truck as he’ll take it tomorrow to work again. We watched America’s Got Talent together and then just relaxed for the evening. This was a busy but good day. I’m not discouraged about the truck, it will happen before the weekend.


Thank you for stopping in! Your comment are welcome.

11 comments:

  1. Well, that was a teaser! What exactly was the hamburger casserole. It did look good! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, sorry. I figured if anyone was curious enough, they'd ask!
      Low Carb Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole
      Ingredients
      • 1/2 pound bacon
      • 1 pound ground beef
      • 1/2 sweet onion
      • 1 clove garlic
      • 4 tablespoons cream cheese
      • 2 tablespoons reduced sugar ketchup
      • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
      • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
      • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
      • 4 large eggs
      • 1/4 cup heavy cream
      • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
      • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I skipped this)
      • 8 ounces grated cheddar
      • 1 teaspoon fresh dill (I didn't have this)
      Instructions
      1. Dice the bacon into small pieces and place in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Drain grease from pan.
      2. Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until browned, crumbling as it cooks. Drain fat.
      3. Add the onion and garlic to the skillet with the beef and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
      4. Add the cream cheese, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoned salt to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until combined.
      5. Spread the beef mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Top with the cooked bacon.
      6. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk together with the heavy cream until combined. Stir in the pepper and hot sauce.
      7. Pour the egg mixture over the beef and bacon.
      8. Top with the cheddar cheese.
      9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until set and golden on top. Sprinkle with dill before serving.

      Delete
    2. Wow. Thanks. This wont be the first recipe of yours I've copied.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the recipe, I was going to ask too! Looks so yummy! That was a busy day. How can people not miss their comforter? haha. Unless they were passing through and by the time they missed it they were too far to come back maybe ? Looks like a lovely drive you had, but too bad it didn't get done. Hopefully it won't rain and he'll have to come your way. I can't believe how fast these months are flying!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. You could add the hot sauce as I think you guys like that. :)
      You're sweet, justifying why someone left their comforter behind.
      It was a nice drive and I think he'll be coming to me on Friday. :D
      I agree about the time flying by!

      Delete
  3. Yup ... looks mighty yummy to me!!! So sorry for Black Beauty's black eye. Hopefully you get it fixed soon. It's such beautiful country up there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was yummy.
      Black Beauty will see better after Friday. I hope!!
      It is definitely different country than what you see in AZ. :)

      Delete
  4. Shame about the windshield appointment, hope everything goes smoothly on Friday.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People try to multi task while doing laundry and forget to stay focused. That causes problems for other patrons.
    I did not realize the Stone Chip was that large from the first picture. Even if Larry was on vacation forgetting an appointment does not make for good customer relations.
    That casserole definitely looks tasty.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine forgetting a comforter for 3 days!
      Yes, it is a baseball stone (ROCK) chip. Larry was very apologetic and it means a lot that he will come to me for free to make it right. A second chance. :)
      The casserole was delicious.

      Delete