Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Morning Clean, Afternoon Chill and More Company!

The Ridge

I was up before Bill on Wednesday, Aug. 5th but not by much. I had a job to do so hopped in Ptooties and drove to town. No one was around and all doors were closed. The Mat was relatively clean so it didn’t take too long to follow the normal routine. That gives me time to do a couple of extra things that I don’t do every time and I was still out the door in an hour.

Getting ready to head to Durham, looking to the southwest

















Back home, I had my tea and read some blogs as well as play my few online Word games. Bill had his shower and then I was in for mine. Showers mean ‘weigh-in’, kind of like at Weight Watchers, and we were both still pleased with the results. We aren’t shedding by any large number but we are at least maintaining so we’re happy. The air outside was cool. It was only 12C/55F when we got up so it had some rising to do.

From early morning to early afternoon, the skys
teased us


The sun that was supposed to ‘rule’ the day disappeared while I was in town and huge black clouds played tag (and won) for the morning. The winds were gusty too so it didn’t warm up much beyond 18C/66f all day. That sounds pretty nice and it was in the sun but when it was behind the clouds, the temperature dropped enough to have us scrambling into our long sleeves. On, off, on and off again.

My verbena has returned to life
after I cut it right back and fertilized it

In case you're wondering - the turtles are still around

They are so cute lined up on the logs

We received a text and later a call from Suzie to inform us that she wouldn’t be coming today after all. Hopefully, she’ll be feeling more like coming even for a visit later this week. This is a tough time for her, dealing with selling their motor home and we all know that can’t be an easy process on her own. I stretched out in the hammock with my book and got lost in the story. I was very comfortable.

What a strange looking bug!
A wanna be scorpion?

The milkweed pods are popping out on the plants
all over our property

Soon, Kim, Ken and Bill brought their chairs around for Happy Hour around 2:30 and we waited for our next guest campers to arrive. Marlene and Benno drove in around 3:30, I think, and Bill offered to back their travel trailer in between the Journey and the Suite. We fell into a typical gab fest in between Bill showing Benno around the place. Marlene took her Daschunds for a little walk to stretch their little legs.

Lunch was an egg and bacon quesadilla

Happy Hour extended until almost 7 (this is getting to be a habit!) when Kim and I got up to start our individual suppers. Bill and I had fish and chips, cooked inside and that was quick and tasty. I asked Bill to deliver a cupcake to everyone for dessert. They are difficult to get out of the silicone muffin cups but even though messy, still yummy. I hope they enjoyed them as well. We did dishes up and Bill went out to restoke the fire.

The expected guests arrived at 3:30

Bill did the swing around for Benno

Welcome!

the men over here on the shaded side

The ladies over here in the sun

After supper, the sky clouds were pretty

We have more fires this week than the whole summer

I needed to change first into warmer clothes and then I followed suit. The blog may suffer tonight but at least it will get done at some point. Life must go on! I sat with Bill until Ken, then Kim, Benno and then Marlene joined us. The wind from earlier had died right off and going from a warm inside temperature of 22C/72F to outdoors at 15C/59F sent a chill through me. In the Bunky was the heavy knitted sweater of Bills that he’d passed on to me so with that on, I was toasty.

Ken and Kim bundled against the cooler air

We sat around the fire until just after 9:30 when everyone said goodnight. This was a good day, basically just sitting around and enjoying each other’s company. It is nice to have Marlene and Benno here as they’ve never been up to the Ridge. A peaceful night was had by all.

And my favourite picture of the day
Good night!

Thank you for popping in to see what we’re up to. P.S. - this is posted on the new blogger so it will be interesting to see what it looks like. So far, I've had no problems.


14 comments:

  1. We had planned to visit our NY family this month, and hoped we could travel through Canada to see you and Bill as well. Well, that is on hold - for who knows how long! It's disappointing!
    It took me awhile to figure out the captions for pictures on the New Blogger. I'm sure with more use, it will seem as fine as the old one.
    Love your pictures! I had to look at the last picture twice before I saw your buddy hiding in there. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been awesome!! Also, there will be other years and now we'll expect you! :)
      The captions are frustrating and I can't seem to delete/remove a picture that I changed my mind on when working on it. LOL
      Chippy is a little beggar but so darned cute!

      Delete
  2. I don't know about you, but I'm LOVING your new camera!! It's so nice to have company ... I'm getting a little stir crazy down here just talking to the dogs and the parrot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am too! Zoom 24 is wonderful again! :)
      We are fortunate to have such wonderful friends who like to share our Ridge for a few days.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm even more jealous! haha. I'm sorry that Suzie didn't feel up to coming but certainly understandable. Hopefully soon! Great pictures of all of you! The fire certainly looks so inviting. Both Ken and I are done with this heat here! Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. The fire is rare for Bill and I unless we have company so we enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  4. These cooler days are well appreciated and are reflected in your pictures.
    Nice that Marlene and Benno were able stop in for a visit.
    It's understandable that Suzie will feel out of place for some time.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your visiting.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful day on the Ridge! Love the photo of Chippy in the flower basket. What a character. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chippy is indeed a charmer even though he gets a finger shook at him sometimes! haha

      Delete
  6. Nice that Marlene and Benno could get up for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, it is their first time so we are quite pleased.

      Delete
  7. Lovely that you are having such good times on the ridge. I think the turtles lined up on the log are really cute.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't want to tell the mama turtles that their eggs have been stolen so glad they are enjoying themselves in the sun. ;)

      Delete