Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Middle of the Week, Weather Change Again

 The Ridge

On Wednesday, Aug. 26th I stayed in bed again until Bill was out of the shower. We made the bed and rather than having my tea and sitting with him, we kissed goodbye and I went for my walk. The sky was looking like a bit of a mixed bag. One of those skies where Forest Gump needs to say “you never know what you’re gonna get”. It felt cool compared to what we’ve had over the last few days so I wore capris, runners and a hoody. Oh, plus my safety vest.

Can you tell what the day will be like?
Nor could I


Bill and Black Beauty heading to the highway
Nice back end!!

It was 7 when I left the house and I walked close to the horse farm but not quite before turning back. That’s about when I saw Black Beauty up ahead, slowing down for one more quick goodbye. 😊 Then up over the hill, Rob and Bethany were making their way south for their walk. They both had jackets on too. Back home, I made my tea and sat and read some blogs.



It's about time for a fun little selfie at Turbine Lane

Almost home

I’ve been reading Bob’s Eyes for a while now. We’ve never met but I think it would be nice to do that one winter. Our paths never seem to cross. If you are at all interested or concerned in the California fires, he writes a remarkable blog story. As a property owner up near Guerneville, CA, he has done some pretty awesome things to help the fire and police crew in saving homes. I know a few of you do follow his blog but if not, check him out!

At the Mission Store with my sisters, Donna found me a zucchini noodler

And I llightly fried some up with bacon and cream cheese
I've found a new lunch treat

After washing and brushing my teeth, I drove over to Graceland 2 for 9 am. Mitch had the white Ford Edge’s ‘back end’ in the shop. I taped around emblems and plastic handles and then touched up a few rust spots. The hatchback and around wheel wells needed to be painted so I lightly sanded those areas.  Time went quickly as we chatted a lot.

My new 'new to me' coffee grinder

This isn't the first time I've ground nuts for a crust
but this was definitely the easiest!

He had a couple of visitors, the owners of the Edge to pay for additional paint costs (there is a diamond dust coating over the primer, under the clear coat), and a fellow for Mitch’s riding mower pick up and drop off. We all have problems with our small equipment, it seems.

I was watching Mama feed the baby birds
Here she detected the noise I made at the door


Baby says 'where did you go, Momma?'

Just before I left, I marked my 3 hours on the calendar and he nipped in and out of his home quickly. He handed me a couple of frozen sirloin steak for Bill and I. He doesn’t bbq hardly at all, being alone, just doesn’t bother. It was a nice gesture. I’m sure he feels bad for recommending Southgate Auto Glass when I got stood up. He has called Larry and offered his shop to pull our truck in on Friday (rain is expected) so I get the Mobile Service without having to drive back to Dundalk. Larry said he wanted to do that for me, to make up for his mix up. 😊


Well, here is Mama, getting all cleaned up after
her hunt for food

I debated unplugging from power since the sun came out and the sky looked promising but on second thought, didn’t. I wanted to make some boiled eggs in Madame IP, plus maybe some cheesecake and then supper will be made in the same pot. I thought Bill might like a change of pace for his lunch sandwiches ad egg salad is a favourite.

She was loving the birdbath

The air outside has cooled even since mid-morning and I’m sure it is going to rain. I went out and closed the Bunky, I doubt I’ll be out there today after all. Inside, I addressed a birthday card that doesn’t have to be sent until Friday or Monday and then made myself a coffee before doing dishes. I chatted back and forth with our friend, Kim, about some upcoming dates and more discussion about the winter.

Ready to go in the IP

I actually needed to cook it a bit longer
but the results were still different

In between doing that, I made my Instant Pot New York Cheesecake. I’d ordered a springform pan to fit in Madame IP a while ago but have never used it. I’m looking forward to an easy removal from the pan for once. 😊 Instead of a graham cracker crust, I used the coffee grinder that I bought from the Mission Store when Donna and I went in June. It was $8 and no one was more surprised than me to open it and find it was brand new! Yay! It ground up the almonds like a charm!

I had to zoom in to see who was swimming in our pond
It's a lone duck but I noticed later, there were two of them

I love cheesecake so much that having to lick the spoon and bowl truly brought out the child in me. There was no one here to share the beaters with so I got them too! Into the IP for 28 minutes, I made myself a tea while I waited. The sky has darkened overhead and looking out just now, at 4:30, 4 Canada geese just flew over. That is the first I’ve seen any around here for weeks. Someone’s pond to the south of us will have the gathering. No border crossing worries for them!

See you guys next year!

I sat in my chair with my book until Bill came home. I doubt there is mail in the box but if it doesn’t rain, (there have been a few light showers in the last half hour), I might take a walk down to check it out. Bill was home by 5 and we chilled for a bit until it was time for supper. My cheesecake was taking longer than it should and then when it was done, it didn’t seem quite ‘set’. No matter, I set it aside to cool.

Something in my mixing might have caused this fluffiness

But it still looked pretty good after coming out of the pan

I heated last night’s casserole in Madame IP along with cooking some sweet and white potato. It was a filling supper and we had a piece of cheesecake for dessert. Hmmm. It didn’t taste quite like I expected, more like custard on the crust. It is fine and will be eaten but it just isn’t quite like cheesecake. We did dishes up while watching CTV news. Bill had heard at work that we are expecting some high scary winds in this area tonight but we didn’t get that concern from tv. Maybe rains and a storm with some winds but nothing that worries us.

Supper was good, topped off with our own tomatoes

Bill did some paperwork and I worked on my blog post and the evening passed. This has been a productive day with more work hours under our belts. I hope you’ve enjoyed your day.

Cheesecake - needs improvement but still a nice dessert
Good night!

Thank you for popping in!

8 comments:

  1. I got caught up with your blog posts this morning. It's the first time I've had time to read posts for several days. I was missing them. You reminded me I should make another cheesecake. We really enjoy them and it takes so litle time to do so. Your casserole from day before still looks good warmed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what that's like! I get so far behind on blogs too. This working is cutting into my reading time! haha

      Delete
  2. Your cheesecake looks awesome! Love the idea of nuts for a crust! Nice that rain or no rain BB will be taken care of at home. Love the coffee grinder and spiralizer, that's the same one I have. So nice that it's small and doesn't take up much room. Yep, I love that cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might try this recipe. Her stuff is pretty good. I've seen a lot of people say to be sure and NOT overbeat it. That was my mistake the first time. Looks delicious though!!
    https://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooker-new-york-cheesecake/

    The coffee grinder? Now that's a great timesaver. I'll have to find one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be nice to have the Windshield replaced closer to home.
    From a Casserole to Cheese Cake you are really finding new things to cook.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to watch birds taking a bath. The slice of cheesecake....I was drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that cheesecake looks delicious, even if it didn't turn out as you expected.

    Love the photos of the robins. There aren't very many around here these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you guys are still enjoying life down there!

    ReplyDelete