Monday, August 3, 2020

A Day in the Life, No Afternoon Showers, PayDay!


The Ridge
On the Civic holiday Monday, Aug. 3rd we were awake and up shortly after 6:30. I was happy to wake up since I was having a dream that wasn’t enjoyable. We got up, made the bed and after washing and brushing my teeth, I drove into Durham. It was a bit foggy on the country road but I always travel slow in the morning anyway because of the possible deer sightings/crossings. It was 16C/61F but not raining.

Who was I kidding thinking Chippy couldn't get on here?
We got some wind before we went to bed and pretty steady rain throughout the evening and night. I think. There were no morning customers at the Mat so I set about getting things cleaned up. It was one of those mid-dirty days and I put in the hour paying a little more attention to the floors this time. On the way home, I made a stop at Mitch’s to help him with something on his phone again. He isn’t very app literate and it was on my way so I didn’t mind.

He had to spread some more gravel today
Back home, Bill had put the garbage down at the road. Our sanitation crew works holiday Mondays, which is nice that we don’t miss our pick up since we only get it every 2 weeks. Our neighbours, in the Journey, weren’t outside yet but Bill was. He’d been down to shovel a bit of gravel although reported that it was wet and therefore heavier. I made my tea and him another coffee. We sat outside around the firepit as Bill had started one to burn cardboard that he’d cut up.

Happy Hour!
Soon after, Ken brought their chairs over and they joined us for the morning. It was starting to get humid and the sky was showing some blue occasionally. It wasn’t going to be a washout today either. Good! We sat until 12 noon and then split up to make and eat our lunches. Bill had a toasted tomato and cheese sandwich and I had a plate with tuna, radish, lettuce, cheese, olives and cottage cheese.  Both of us were full.

Blue sky wasn't expected today so it was a surprise
At the time we came inside, it had started to spit so perfect timing. We remained inside for a couple of hours, me writing the beginnings of my blog post and searching for something I wanted to show Kim. No luck with that but Bill managed to get his Quicken program downloaded onto his new laptop by using the portable disc player I bought him last week. Now he can get things set up again to his liking. I looked out and saw Jamie, Cheryl, Emma and Aaron pulling up the drive. Emma was driving with her G-1 license.

A nice afternoon
With $$ in my pocket for the month of July we chatted with them for a while before they headed out for a ‘Sunday’-type drive to Meaford. It’s nice, as Kim said, that their teens still like going with Mom and Dad. Bill then went down to shovel some more gravel but it was short-lived. I sat with Kim and Ken with my tea and when Bill came up, it was time for something stronger so I finished my bottle of Girl’s Night Out wine. Only 3 glasses per bottle (?) I'm thinking as I turn it upside down.

A simple supper with no bun for me
There doesn’t seem to be a shortage of conversations, with everyone getting a chance to voice an opinion on a given subject. Bill kept the fire going throughout the day. Time passed and at 6:30 we decided we should be eating our suppers. 

And our fire extended into evening
The rain was holding off and in between the clouds, the sun made it very hot. It was a nice day. Bill grilled us burgers and inside I cooked ¼ of an acorn squash and put salad on Bill’s plate. We topped it off with the last of our Jell-o.

It was a nice fire, Bill was burning up our 4 year old wood
Unfortunately, the wind picked up by 9 and unless we bundled up and moved closer
we were going to have to move inside
We said goodnight and went to our own rvs.
After dishes, Bill and Ken sat outside for a while at the fire. I had a lotto ticket to check so did that and finished writing my post before going out. Kim had also joined in.  While we were sitting out this afternoon, we got a call from Suzie saying that she planned on coming for a couple of nights, either Wednesday or Thursday. That’s great! I will make sure the Bunky is guest-ready by then. We’ve had a good day today without too much activity.

The sky to the northwest was pretty interesting!
Good night!
Thank you for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. That's awesome that Suzie is going to join you guys, I'm sure it will be a fun time and I'll bet George has a big smile on his face :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we were hoping that she would join us so it put a smile on our faces for sure!

      Delete
  2. It was great to read your blog this morning. Everything looks so nice at The Ridge.
    We've had a busy time the last week and a half. How awesome that Ken and Kim are there to visit, and Suzie is joining you as well. Have a great time together! I've only seen Kim with a hat on, and I had to look twice at the picture of her and Ken. At first I thought it was you! Lol! Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, when my hair was light, I certainly can see that we'd look alike. :)
      We are very pleased that Suzie is coming to par-tay as well but it will be weird without George.

      Delete
  3. Everything is just so green and gorgeous. Guess I'm tired of desert brown! LOL I have the same problem with my computer ... the excuse they gave me for no disc player IN the computer was so it would be "lighter" with a bigger battery. Now I have to carry that disc player around everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is different scenery than what you're used to. We are ready for the desert brown once the cold weather starts here because it is better than winter white! haha
      Bill's laptop is very lightweight but you're right about carrying the extra piece if you need it. LOL

      Delete
  4. What a great day once again! How nice having the visitors and now you'll have a great visit with Suzie too! I'm assuming G1 license is the same as a learners permit here? Nice they dropped by and you got $$..:) Isn't it great to have visitors and you don't run out of things to talk about! Enjoy...Jealous here in NV!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though a smaller group and 6 of our regulars (7 counting George) are missed, we still manage to have a good time. Yes, G1 is the same as a learners permit with restrictions. Too bad you can't join us!

      Delete
  5. I think the wine bottles are getting smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I'm not a big wine drinker but I have good friends who are and have resorted to the larger bottles! :)

      Delete
  6. Well that was a nice day. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie teased the last time we saw her that she thought she was done with pictures BUT we put her in her place and snapped away! haha

      Delete
  7. Work and Play all in one day is the way everyone should be.
    I was just thinking about Suzie yesterday. Hoping she's doing well and looking forward to seeing pictures of her. It would make George proud that she's carrying on.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your guests.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true about work and play. All Work and no play makes Bill and Patsy dull children. haha
      Looking forward to 'camping' with Suzie and yes, George I'm sure is very pleased. :)

      Delete
  8. 3 glasses of wine for a single bottle is pretty. I thought wine came in 'single serving' bottles :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please say hola to Suzie from Colin and I.

    ReplyDelete