Sunday, August 30, 2020

Sunny Sunday, Mom, Great Day for a Drive

 The Ridge

We had no need to get up at any specific time on Sunday, Aug. 30th so after last night’s late movie, we slept in and didn’t get up until almost 7:30. We had our morning brew together and then after reading a few blogs, I went for my walk. By then, it was warmer even though I still needed a light jacket under my safety vest. When I got back it was just after 9.

It is nice to see blue sky

I got washed and spruced up a bit for a reserved visit with Mom. Yes, Donna and I were meeting at Rockwood for a 10:30 half hour visit outside. We were both anxious to see her and yet trying not to expect too much. I haven’t seen her since October so knew this was something I had to do for my own peace of mind. It might sound selfish but because of Mom’s dementia, knew it was more for me than her.

When I returned from my walk, I took some photos
of the only potted plants that are still surviving here

A black caterpillar - hmm we all know what that is supposed to mean
A moon flower blooms, a rain spattered maple leaf and the verbena
comes back to life

We met outside at 10:15 and had our temperatures taken before sitting at the 6’ long table. Our chairs at one end, a single one at the other. When Mom came out, closely monitored by a nurse, I saw an older version of our sweet Mother. No dancing, no laughing, just confusion was displayed as she used her walker to come to the table. I won’t go into a lot of detail; I’ll just say it was very difficult for me, us. Donna tried to get her talking but it didn’t matter. Mom couldn’t respond in any intelligible way.

I wanted/needed to get a picture of Mom today so
although most of them were not to her credit, this one was cute
of her pulling her blanket up over her head
Gosh, I've missed her smile
even toothless!

There was a chilly breeze and we were in the shade under an awning so that didn’t help. She just couldn’t get warm, even with a blanket wrapped around her and over her head. We weren't allowed to approach her, touch her or help with the blanket when it shifted. I don’t think she really opened her eyes enough to know who we were. Unless we can sit close to her at an indoor visit, I won’t/can't do this again. There is no real benefit for me to see her this way and certainly none for her. A curiosity was satisfied and I got to see my Mom after many long months. It’s a tough situation.

A cute one with the nurse bundling her up
They are so good to her

Back home, I reiterated to Bill what the visit was like and then made bacon and eggs for our lunch. He got cleaned up and we headed out for a drive around the countryside. We’d decided to do some scouting in the area for motel prices. It was also a good way to focus on something else, and get my mind off the upsetting visit. We spent an afternoon driving from one small town in the vicinity of 40 miles ending up in Hanover. Once more, it was disappointing. Yet it was also enlightening and overall a worthwhile endeavour.

Lunch was tasty and filling

No results at this point but it is a start. We stopped at Donna and Gerry’s just before leaving Hanover. Ptooties went through a car wash and a fuel fill up then we did some shopping at Walmart. It was only going to be for a few items but I decided to get everything on our list that we could. It meant that we didn’t have to stop in Durham at Foodland on our way home. Once again, no diet pop other than Coke.   Back home, we put our groceries away and I made myself a cup of tea. It was 5 o’clock, supper wouldn’t be for at least an hour.

And by afternoon, the sky was filled with clouds

With mayo in the fridge now, I made up a batch of egg salad for Bill’s lunches, updated today’s post and then sat with him to watch Castaway. We’d decided on a simple supper of toasted (garden) tomato, bacon and cheese sandwiches with corn on the cob. At 6, I started to get them ready and Bill helped make the sandwiches. They were good and the corn definitely had that fresh, local taste. Billy, who Bill works with, texted to say that they wouldn't be working tomorrow so Bill gets the day off. After a busy afternoon that will give him an opportunity to get some work done around here.

Our 'simple' supper was yummy
No dessert was necessary tonight
Good night!

After dishes, Bill went down to the Hangar for a while and I sat to work on my post. Tomorrow starts a busy week again so I wanted to get it done tonight. I downloaded pictures and put an old movie on in the background. We had a good day today, learned a few things and got a better feeling of peace than what we had yesterday. 😊


Thank you for your visit on this nice Sunday.

16 comments:

  1. Even though you found it upsetting it's good that you visited your mother. Sending you hugs and hopes for a good day and for finding a good place to stay during the cold months.-Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. It definitely was a good thing to do - seeing Mom. The winter plans will work out. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I imagine it's difficult to see her in that position. Still it's a good thing you went. Sending you good vibes for finding a place to stay. Those tomatoes look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. It was hard on the heart to see Mom like that but I know she'll have some better days. :)
      The tomatoes are good on the bottom half but the tops seem to split. It means they're missing a nutrient, I'm sure. They taste good though!

      Delete
  3. Oh Patsy that was a hard read, my heart breaks for you and Donna along with the rest of your siblings. I did see a bit of her smile though. :) I'm glad she's in such a good place and is treated with care. Hugs...Dinner looked so awesome and even better that it was simple. Nice that you and Bill got out to check out places. Wish the damn border would open!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, didn't mean to do that to my readers! It was a bittersweet visit. :) We wanted to just hug and hold her.
      Thank you Shirley. Yes, we agree about the borders!!

      Delete
  4. That must have been a tough visit with your mom. I feel for you and am sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been a difficult visit, but as you say it gave you some peace of mind. She is in a good place with staff who care for her. Sending virtual hugs.

    Take care and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dimentia is so devastating—to everyone involved. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too many patios are set up in the shade and if your mom was looking towards the Sun that might have been the reason she didn't look up.
    Nice to check things out in case the Border stays shut.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They try to set them up in sheltered areas but it wasn't going to stop Sunday's wind no matter what. No, the sun was over her head, just not soon enough. :)
      thanks Rick.

      Delete
  8. Sorry your visit with your mom was so hard, but glad you got to see her. What a long time before you were allowed to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you FG. I'm so glad I went even though my heart came away with a small tear. :( I didn't know what to expect but just wasn't prepared. It was a long time.

      Delete