Sunday, December 26, 2021

What Boxing Day ‘Specials’ Mean to Me

Winterhaven, CA On Sunday, Dec. 26th, we took our time getting up. It seems to be our norm these days and how nice it is not to have to rise at any particular time. I took Gibbs out first around 7, he loves sleeping in too! We walked around the park when we next rose at 7:30.
The job today, Boxing Day, was to do our laundry. We skipped last week as there didn’t seem to be enough for a load. Now, it seems we really changed clothes a lot in the last week but I still only needed two machines. After my tea, I drove Black Beauty up to the laundromat by the pool. The machines here are $2/load (washers & dryers) so no complaints here.
Gibbs' little girlfriend has a new friend. I won't tell Gibbs though When they were ready to be transferred to the dryers, I walked up and then went in to finish the jigsaw puzzle. 😊 Gayle and John were packing up today so I wasn’t expecting her to join me. 45 minutes later, the wash was done and so was the puzzle, minus one missing piece. It was a real challenge but I loved every minute, not to mention the time spent with Elaine first and then my sister. ♥
Bill drove up to help fold and we brought the fresh smelling basket of clothes home together. I sat outside with Gibbs for a while. The temperature was only about 57F/14C but boy was it lovely out there in the sun. Oh! I must fill in a detail from last night about our supper. We planned burgers, take our own, at G & J’s site on Christmas Day. We didn’t need another big meal, everyone agreed.
A gift for us from Gayle and John Gayle handed me a bag with a couple of things in it and I was thrilled with her gifts. First, a hummingbird feeder, of which I neglected to bring along this year and still hadn’t picked one up. That was great as the hummers are all over the park. Second, a memory from 40 years ago, she had painted one of the Dickens' fictional characters face molds.
Meet Pierre At home, I have Fagan, from Oliver, that she gave me in 1982 when she made them. He is pretty darn beat up and has been painted a few times since in order to keep him alive. 😊 Gayle knows how much I love these but I was genuinely surprised to find Pierre in the bottom of the bag wrapped in tissue paper. ♥ I love hit and will treasure him always. He will not live outside on my Bunky shelf, which is where Fagan will live out his last days.
We could see that G & J were hooked up so we walked over
Goodbye, until we meet again! Back to Boxing Day, I cooked bacon and eggs on the Weber for lunch and we cleaned things up before relaxing for a bit. Today, is Ice cream Sunday so we walked up just before 2 to get our $1/scoop or two. Barb saw the cut-up banana in my bowl so instead of 1 scoop, she spoiled me with 3 mini scoops in each flavour. Gordon dropped chopped nuts, 3 cherries and squeezed some strawberry sauce over the top to finish it off. 😊
Lunch
We all sat outside for a while enjoying the warmth If it wasn’t for the pesty flies, again, I would be outside but instead started my blog and sat in my chair with my book. It is very hard to put down. For supper, we agreed on ‘simple’ again, because of the ice cream, so had toasted tomato sandwiches. Yum. With lettuce and cheese, they were very tasty and just enough with a couple of dessert squares.
Banana split It was another quiet evening and the end to the Christmas ‘season’, really. I won’t rush to take the tree and decorations down tomorrow but soon. This was a pretty nice day. I hope you can say the same. In case you’re wondering about the title of my post today: there are a few things mentioned as the ‘specials’ that I enjoy on Boxing Day.
Gibbs doesn't hesitate to steal Daddy's chair Good night! Thank you for your visit.

13 comments:

  1. I used to collect Bosun heads too. When my daughters had friends out to the farm, they would tell them those were their FATHERS!!! Much devilment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what they were called, so thank you (not that I'll remember that! :))
      Gayle had about 20 and still has 15 left. She brought 4 with her this winter to paint. ♥

      Delete
  2. Long time reader Patsy, but never comment. Glad to see you are enjoying the sun! I'm curious, are the bolded and italicized words meant to be links?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie. Thank you for reading. No, sorry, the bolded italicized words are the things I'm calling my 'special' things. Didn't mean to confuse you but with the blogger changes, it wouldn't let me change colours of the words. LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh I see! Thanks for replying, sounds like blogger has a mind of its own!

      Delete
  3. It's so funny that Gibbs wants to sit in the chair. I don't think Cooper has ever done that! I can just taste that banana split!!! I've never seen or heard of Bosun heads before. Pierre made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good day was had by all. Enjoy that wonderful weather. It was -26C with a windchill of -41C this morning when I went out to feed the birds. I'll be doing laundry today too and staying indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the loveliest days and now it is cooling off a bit.
      Brrrr, that is really cold. Kind of like what my brother gets in Cold Lake, AB.
      Yes, stay indoors with a good book!

      Delete
  5. You really had a lovely Boxing Day. The Banana split looks awesome.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better than shopping in the crowds! :)
      The banana split was yummy.

      Delete
  6. Glad you survived Chrisrmas, and your westher is stillbetter than ours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FG. The weather has turned a bit cooler but it will improve again. Still better than home.

      Delete