Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Talk About Mixed Bags! Today was One of Those.

The Ridge (settle in, it's a long one)

So, we woke up a dry day – to start, at least – on Tuesday, Apr. 25th. It was a bitter cold morning, only -1C/30F when Bill took Gibbs out at 6 am. He said there was a showing of frost on the vehicle roofs. I was up around 7 and joined Bill downstairs for my cuppa. The clouds hung heavy over The Ridge and although Bil said the sun would make an appearance today, it would only be for a couple of hours, max.

Our morning walk

Funny, how our days are focused on weather. First job for my sweetie was to dump our black tank. That meant giving the riding mower a wee run to wheel the blue boy/honey pot over to the dump station Bill created our second year up here. It isn’t too far but too far to drag it by hand – which he has done in a pinch. Gibbs and I went out for our walk and when we returned, the little mutt ran around, back and forth ‘helping’ us. 😊

Gibbs helps with the dumping
Our storage shelter is now complete
for the summer

I emptied the plastic shelving that we stored in the Bunky for the winter and took it over to our storage shelter. This is what holds our helmets, boots, bike cover and snow materials like boots and scrapers. It has been used for many things and came all the way from our home in London, re-utilization. It’s a pretty sturdy shelf for being only plastic. Then we all hopped in the truck and drove to the Acreage for a bladder full of water.

A few pictures from the Acreage

Gibbs is just plain happy,
and I'm thinking he remembers
this place to run ♥

Gibbs still gets quite nervous (?) when we start driving and we’re not sure why but once we approached Donna and Gerry’s other property, I think it was recognition and excitement more than anything. He ran around there, through the leaves, rolled in the grass and had fun. Yah, I think he remembers it. When he went to the door of their Landmark 5th wheel, he was looking for Auntie Donna. No one was home.

It is a nice summer place

Back home, Bill brought the step ladder in and (darn! I forgot to get a picture!) removed the blade that broke when it got caught in the slide. Sometimes it is just hanging on a slant, enough to catch and……..Anyway, Bill glued it with his special epoxy and has reassembled it. It is running just fine and will help to circulate the rising heat in here. 😊 Mr. Fixit, I never have any doubt until proven otherwise.

As the snow fell, the grackles
ate

This is a bamboo style fan that we removed from our sticks and bricks home when we sold it. We replaced it with the cheaper looking model from the Suite. You can understand how disappointed I was when it broke. Between the time we got up and now, 1:30, we’ve had sun, clouds, wet rain, wet snow, clouds and sun again so there is the mixed bag I mentioned above.

Lunch was good and I was ready for it!

Oh! I also received another mixed bag today in our snail mail. It was only a day late so for that, Temu gave me a $5 credit on my next order. This vendor is probably China based but when it popped up in Canadian funds and with a lot useful things, I placed an order before leaving Arizona. I will definitely order again once we get ahead of our unplanned expenses. They have lots to choose from. 😊

Bill fixed our ceiling fan blade

Cushion covers for the sofa, necessary when sharp claws (and age) tear the faux leather, recliner covers that match to protect those chairs, a couple of clothing items, a cell phone holder for when I walk without pockets, a grill cleaning brush, disposable air fryer papers and a belt that doesn’t buckle. So far, I’m very pleased. I messed up by only ordering 2 couch cushion covers instead of 3 (duh) so will be getting the 3rd one in my next order.

My own mixed bag
delivered to our door

We had bacon and eggs on toast for lunch, yummy. I’m into my next loaf of keto bread and although eat it sparingly, love that I can eat it guilt-free! Bill took our Sirius radio down to the Hangar today and has just texted that he is able to get the StarLink satellite signal down there on his phone! Yay! We’ve put his big tv away but that move gave him tons of extra shelf space. We have extra 2 small tv’s so he can use one.

I'm happy with everything that came
The bottom left is a pack of 50 air fryer papers
and top right is a silicone cell phone holder

Because the mail lady tends to still leave mail in the box even when she brings parcels up, Gibbs and I walked down after lunch. The sun is out at the moment and the wind is cold but even though there were no other pieces in the box, we enjoyed our walk. I hung about in the Bunky, tidying more things and then brought my laptop out to test the process. Bill has always done the ‘streaming’ thing from his laptop so I needed to know how. It worked like a charm! 😊

a new shirt and a belt without a buckle
I love them!

Gibbs sat on the picnic table for at least an hour and just enjoyed the peacefulness as well as the occasional bursts of sunshine. I kept checking on him and he never moved. We came in at 3:30 and I connected to a new series that my daughter watches. Logged in as ‘me’, I didn’t have free access to any more than the first episode of the first season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisle. I love it and will use Bill’s login tomorrow to hopefully get more free episodes.

Our afternoon walk
That's a lot of water, Mom.

I retrieved Dad's bird house
from the ponds edge
It's a bit beat up but salvagable.

Still on his leash, he performs 
like a champ

For supper, I went lazy and simple with the old-fashioned pork and beans. The weiners are actually called ‘all beef’ but I’m sure there is supposed to be some pork fat in the beans. 😊 Doesn’t matter, we both enjoyed it and finished off the last dish of the lava cake. I’ll make that again for sure! It’s a 5* keeper. 

Gibbs, off leash, stayed on the
picnic table for over an hour


Our hutch at the table has a different
appearance now that the bulky radio is down
at the Hangar.

I cleaned up dishes and Bill went over to the Acreage to put the pump well water on trickle because of the low temps over these next two nights. Darn weather!

Supper

Not sure what we’ll find tonight on tv but knowing the detective series is available is a good back up plan. The sun has been out in full force since 4 pm and our temperatures have reached our forecasted high of 6C/43F. Too bad it hadn’t warmed up sooner, I might have felt like raking some more. It was a good day and more things are getting accomplished.

I'll show you the sunset tomorrow
It was too late for posting tonight.
Good night!

Thank you for the stop in today!

13 comments:

  1. Since you now have streaming, check out Reacher starring Alan Ritchson on Amazon Prime...much better than any with Tom Cruise as Reacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gibbs surveying his territory ... they are just so much fun!! Air fryer papers? I'm getting on Amazon right now!! Too bad it's so COLD up there. Hoping it warms up for you soon. Thank you Bill for answering my cord question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a lovely day, even if the weather wasn't the best. Gibbs had a great spot for viewing his kingdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it spring yet? We too are having mixed weather with some sleet/freezing rain thrown in with snow and rain. Such fun! Our temps are similar to yours, we are tired of the clouds and long for the sun. Hopefully it arrives soon.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're with you on that how but it sounds like we've got some sun tomorrow only to invite cccold weather after!

      Delete
  5. Yes that was a mixed bag of weather! Never heard of a belt without a buckle, but you modeled it perfectly! Gibbs is so cute on the picnic table :) Beans and wieners, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the belt. Holds my pants up and only one thing to undo at 'potty' time.

      Delete
  6. Rose Anne & GeorgeApril 26, 2023 at 4:02 PM

    The purchases look good. I was going to order some things from Temu as well but wasn’t sure of the quality at their prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 2 weeks for delivery from Temu but so far i can rave about their products.

      Delete
  7. I read an article awhile back about Temu being a Chinese company.

    ReplyDelete