Sunday, October 18, 2020

Another Busy Day, First Cooked Meal in Paisley

The Ridge

On Sunday, Oct. 18th Bill and I woke up in a new bed, new surroundings and it didn’t freak us out! Ha ha. 😊 The new mattress, literally new, was very comfortable and yet I tossed and turned a fair bit. Remember, we are going from a king bed to a queen so there will be some adjustments aside from it not being our own. I think Bill slept reasonably well, considering.


We were up just after 6:30 because Wes and Susan had told us that the power (electric) would be turned off here in town from 7:30 to possibly noon. You know that could mean 2 pm. So, we got dressed and went downstairs for our Keurig coffee, tea and cereal. After dishes, I was in the middle of brushing my teeth in our bathroom and at 7:30 on the dot, I was in darkness. Wouldn't you know they'd be on time for that!

Last night, Wes brought us each a piece of Malt Toast
An English bread and it was delicious!

Bill reminded me to turn on the 12v switch which helped to illuminate the room by a small baseboard light. They are all through the house. Handy for power outages like that and very practical for wandering through a large home in an evening or through the wee hours of morning. We were out the door within minutes of 7:30 on our way back to Durham. I commented to Bill “Each time we take this trip, it seems shorter”. He agreed with me and we decided it was likely because of the two big towns we go through.

We first stopped at the Mat and I cleaned while Bill greased the dryers for Jamie and then mopped the floors for me. I found a loony ($1) today so that was a nice tip. Bill purposely did not drive past Rockwood when we left (it’s a natural route usually) but it didn’t matter. It hit me that I wouldn’t need to go there anymore. There it was, one of those ‘walk into a wall’ moments where your eyes just fill. There will be many, no doubt.

Bill enjoying his supper in the big kitchen
Wes and Susan eat at 5 so chances are, like tonight, they'll
be leaving as we are entering

At the Ridge, we set to work loading up the last of our necessary items and closing things up for the last time. I vacuumed the Suite, dusted down all the counter tops and washed out the fridge inside and out in the bunky. Bill covered our king and Adirondack chairs stacked at the back of the bunky to protect them as best he could from the winter’s harshness. Soon, it was time to lock her up and believe it or not, that brought us both to tears. Good grief! We're a mess!

Before leaving the area, we stopped at Mitch’s (Graceland 2) and I informed him when the funeral was and with me missing Monday for work, I’d come on Tuesday and Thursday this week instead. No sense upsetting the routine, I’ll need to keep my mind occupied anyway. There will be some lawyer, accountant and bank appointments this week as well as a visit to Hometown Tire for Ptooties to get adorned with snow tires so I guess I won’t be idle.

I had 4 muffins left over from earlier in the week so we stopped at Rob and Pat’s for a coffee/muffin Happy Hour at 11:30. It was long overdue, our lives have been taking us in different directions over the last 3 weeks. It was great to see them and catch up before heading back ‘home’. With everything unloaded at Lilyfield, the house name in Paisley, we had some down time in our room. Bill had a snooze around 4:30 and I had my shower.

Looking at my hair over the last few days, a Root Touch-up was necessary so I looked after that first. Getting used to a different shower is also an experience and in an old house, by the time you get hot water upstairs you are ready for a nap! Ha ha. I’ll get used to it but it will take a bit of time. We are so very grateful for this blessing that no matter what we need to get used to, we will never forget that. At 5:30, we went down to start supper. Our first real meal here.

The colours are bland but it was yummy and just enough tonight

I’d decided on fish and chips but there were only enough fries for Bill so I cooked a small bit of pepper squash. The fish fried in olive oil was so good and the squash – well, you know how I love squash. 😊 Wes showed us how to turn the tv on in their big kitchen so we could watch the news while we ate. Eventually, we’ll be at a comfort level to use the appliances, lights, tvs and laundry facilities but for tonight, we’re just chillin’. After dishes, I wrote this and Bill had his shower.

Tomorrow will be an early start to a busy, emotional day so we need a good sleep tonight. We both planned our clothing for the funeral so that isn’t something we need to do at 6 am. This was another busy but fulfilling day. We are all moved in now with just adjustments to deal with. There will be much decision on where to put our stuff since we only have a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen to spread out in. We never realized how much stuff we had! We can't even imagine what we'd have done had we 'settled' for the motel room!

I love the deep window ledges in these old homes
Clemson holds a place of honour
Good night!

Thank you for stopping in!

17 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are starting to settle in your new place... will be thinking of you tomorrow and in the coming days.{{hugs}} ❤️
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim and Ken. I'm slow getting to my comments but they still carry the same loving messages. :)

      Delete
  2. It's not surprising that Bill and you cried while leaving your home, I'm sorry you had one more reason to feel sad. Your good and grateful attitudes will help carry you through tomorrow and the upcoming adjustments,you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't think we would be closing up the Suite so soon in our life. At least this is only a temporary setback and a short one, we hope!
      Thank you so much, Mary.

      Delete
  3. A little different this year not being able to come south and it will take an adjustment moving to a house for the winter. Be thinking of you two tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be an adjustment so we are counting our blessings and also counting on you folk you can travel to the warm state of AZ to enjoy it for us and keep it safe! :)
      Thank you so much, Doug.

      Delete
  4. I will be thinking of you often today. I'm glad you are getting settled into your new winter home. Sounds like that is going well, even though adjustments from what is normal may take a little time over the next several days. You both have great attitudes.... so very important with change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both so much, Cheri. It is amazing where the inner strength comes from when we need it. Change can be good and we hope it is just this year we'll need to make this adjustment. However, if it extends, I think we'll have a place for next year unless we do something terribly wrong here! haha

      Delete
  5. Nothing like having everything happen at once. It's an entire different lifestyle you have to get used to, besides having the funeral. One day at a time ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy. It doesn't give us a lot of time to feel sad which is good although Mom is forefront in our thoughts as we move forward through the trials. :)

      Delete
  6. Well it's been quite the week for you. You are never far from our thoughts and especially today. I know what you mean about tearing up near Rockwood. Every time we head for the National Cemetery where my mom and daddy are, tears fill my eyes. It's been 30 and 11 years. What a lovely kitchen and it seems to be working for you. just takes some getting used to. I'm glad you spent a little time with Rob and Pat :) Sounds like a very busy week, remember to take care of yourself...HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not, all things at once? LOL Challenges of life, right? I said hello to Daddy as we pulled up to the cemetery. I don't visit there anymore since it is so far away but it doesn't matter, as I know he isn't really there. He and now Mom are in my heart forever. Thank you for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  7. Jocelyn and I want to extend our condolences on the passing of your mom. She was very much loved we know! We trust you will enjoy your new winter home! Please know we are thinking of both you and Bill. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to hear from you. Bill and I were talking about you both on your birthdays. :) Hope you are well. So far, the 60's aren't so bad, eh? xo

      Delete
  8. You will be settled in no time. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Tomorrow is going to be hard.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie for the thoughts and prayers, they are very welcome. :)

      Delete
  9. Playing Catch up.
    Glad you are all settled in for the Winter. Hopefully this will never happen again. It is amazing how many things we collect..
    Keeping you and your family in our Prayers. Together you will get trough it.
    Be Safe.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete