Wednesday, October 21, 2020

The Day After Settling Back into a Semi-Normal Routine

The Ridge

Bill was up at the sound of his 6 o’clock alarm on Tuesday, Oct. 20th.  I waited until he was finished getting ready and then joined him downstairs for a tea. He left at 7ish and then I got ready for my own day. Wes left at 7:30 and at 7:45, I headed out for Priceville. First time to make this trek completely on my own. 

After the town stop to pick up some children, I followed the bus until it
turned off to Tiverton

The sky was breaking up to give us a bit of sunshine


The road was dry, the sky cloudy and I had a good drive. It was prime time for country buses but after having to stop behind one in Paisley, it was clear sailing the rest of the way. Some of you may wonder why we’re working this week but to be honest, it’s our choice. We both feel a bit of an obligation to our ‘employers’, especially me to Jamie, since if I don’t clean the Mat, he has to do it after his own full day of work. If we weren’t around for the winter, his plans would be in place. I know he appreciates it.

They were announcing the sun's appearance on the radio station I listened
to and I was witnessing it as it happened too

I went to Mitch’s first and since he is paying me for my hour’s drive TO work, he called for a stop at Foodland for a couple of his regular items. No problem! 😊 I’m on his dime. I worked on Tommy for the bulk of the 3 hours in the shop, Mitch had some of his own errands to run and this way he didn’t have to lock everything up. He left me in charge!

Walkerton is the first town I have to slow down for
It is a nice town, I wouldn't have minded living here either

Today, I learned to ‘putty’ fill. I know that isn’t quite what it’s called but with a plastic auto repair mix, my first lesson was o-k-a-y. He did chuckle at one of my attempts and he said he could tell it was 'beginner's' work. LOL Because there was no air sanding on Tommy today, just gentler sanding by hand, I wasn’t too dirty when I left. I went to the laundromat at noonish and left that place in good shape before heading towards Hanover and home.

The jewellery pieces that I chose
I almost squealed at the turtle, that no one had claimed it
I remember it from my childhood days when Mom wore it
and now it is so appropriate for me!
The one on the left is very old and antiquey-looking, I love it too

Donna, Audrey, Tom, Cathy and her Bill had met at Rockwood this morning to retrieve Mom’s personal items. Because of Covid-19 and the requisite isolation of new residents, they would need the private rooms asap so the staff had packed everything and brought it down to the Maintenance room for storage. This was a big chore off our hands, not that she had a lot of stuff but still.... There were quite a few pieces of jewellery of Moms that we divvied up, each of us choosing something, Donna bringing some back to her place. 😊

This sign at Norm's makes me smile

Entering Hanover, I stopped at Mark’s again even though I’d missed their ‘all store specials! 60% off selected items’ sale. I found 2 long sleeve t-shirts for Bill, buy 1 for $21.99, get one 50% off so that was just as good for me! Working outside with Mike’s crew, he can wear them under a tee or sweatshirt if necessary, to keep warm but not overheated with fleece or anything heavy.

Still from this morning, the sun rose over the clouds (looking very much like mountains
and the fog rising too

I stopped at Donna’s to pick up the jewellery and an eagle statue that Mom had bought for Lloyd. I spoke for it early, knowing Bill’s love for the majestic bird. A picture will follow, just not today, it is still in the SUV. Then I drove home to Paisley. Twice, I almost turned the wrong way. Once leaving Graceland 2, I almost turned to go to the Ridge and secondly, in Hanover, leaving Donna and Gerry’s. LOL


And some people are so darned creative!
This scarecrow's pumpkin butt actually has a split down the middle!

Back home, it was a quiet rest of the day. It was after 3 so I chatted with Susan, who is home all day alone, and then came upstairs to make some ‘executor’ type calls. By the time I finished a couple of those, it was after 5 and Bill returned home. I did 2 loads of laundry downstairs, Susan suggested using those machines since they were bigger and just plain nicer.

Yum, meatloaf
My potato actually was better than it looked
Picture it cup up with lots of butter, salt and pepper :D

For supper, I used her big convection oven for cooking our meatloaf and we had a small potato and coleslaw on the side. It was delicious and meal #2 was out of the way. Bill did some banking and had his shower while I was prepping the meal. After supper and dishes, we joined them for Jeopardy in the big tv room and then I came into our room to write Monday’s blog. Slow but sure, I'm catching up. We were in bed and asleep soon after by 10. Couldn’t keep our eyes open.

A fun little memory with Mom

Good day everyone!

This was a good day! Thank you for stopping in.

8 comments:

  1. The turtle really IS perfect for you,how nice! I hope staying busy helps you feel a bit better every day.-Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turtle is just so cute. I got moms pearls (they need restringing and since the original string broke a few are missing) and quite a few of here costume jewellery pins. I can remember every time she wore them and with what. Such lovely memories are contained in those pieces.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the turtle even though a stone is missing.
      It is so nice to have these personal items.

      Delete
  3. Very good of Mitch to pay for your commuting time. The turtle pin is cute and very appropriate for you.

    Take care, stay well!

    ReplyDelete